SE Smarter Choice Than SEL?

PapaJ

We are picking up our new C-Max SE  Friday. I would be curious to get your reaction to our reasoning for buying the lower-end version of the car instead of the SEL.

1. No MFT -- this car is for my wife and she is not particularly technology-friendly. For us the base Sync system seems to meet our needs and does not "crash", yes?

2. No leather seats -- we are having aftermarket leather seating installed for about $1,000.

3. No sunroof -- we felt we'd rather have a standard roof than a non-opening sunroof; I think Ford kind of blew it with this feature.

4. Cost -- about $26,000 out the door, to me spending more than $30K on this microvan seemed a bit much.

Your thoughts?

For about $3000 more for the SEL over the SE one gets:

Heated Mirrors

Leather

MFT

Fog Lights

Rain Sensing Wipers

Auto Dimming Mirror

Garage Door Opener

Power Drivers Seat

Push Button Start

Security System

Rear Center Armrest

IMHO, if one wanted leather to begin with the other additional features are well worth $2000.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

We got the Sel because we wanted the extra features plus not having a power seat would have been a non starter for us. I'm 6'1, wife is 5'4 & daughter is 5'2. My back messes up on occasion so wanted the lumbar support too. If I could have gotten an SE with power seat I would have considered it. I would also think you might have been able to get a better deal on an in stock SEL if you could find one. I only paid 25, 700 OTD for mine.

Initially I wanted the SE but after sitting in a SEL and looking at that chunk of a screen - I was sold. Now with 3.5.1 I have nothing but GREAT to report, especially with the GPS. :wub2:  it and will by the Prii again.

;)

I want all the SEL features EXCEPT that Nav.  I have a Garmin that I move from car to rental car when needed so I'm torn what model to get.  I don't want to pay for the NAV I don't need.

I'm very happy with my choice of the SE, I got the 202A package (MFT & Sync) and the winter package (heated seats, heated power side mirrors).  I really wanted the rear view camera as well, but to get that I would have had to upgrade to the SEL and get the 302A package which would have added about $4k to the price of the car.  As much as I wanted the rear view camera it was not worth $4k to me, I'm going to buy a house next summer so I'm on a budget and that would have exceeded it.  

Plus, I really do not like leather seats and there was no option in the SEL to get cloth seats.  I will end up getting an aftermarket rear view camera at some point, I'm thinking of one of the Gentex mirrors would be nice so I can get the integrated garage door opener as well.

I also considered the Energi model but I thought the battery pack took up too much room in the trunk, plus the federal tax rebate was only $3,750 which would put the cost in the SEL territory and thus out of my budget.

Edit:  Just to answer the topic, I don't think one is "smarter" then the other, it depends on what you are looking for.  I got a great car for a great price, we all did!

Edited by SnitGTS

I wonder how many of us have to say that we want the power seat without the leather before Ford will do something about this.  I wanted a loaded SEL without leather.  I am going to likely get seat covers to put on top of the seats. 

You'd be surprised at how great it is to have all the little nice add-ons.  I am very glad that I opted for them.  I am really glad about the glass roof.  It makes the big interior seem even bigger.

Things like the parking sensors and auto park are really great.  I've never had a problem parallel parking, but the C-MAX has a bigger turning radius, and having this option has been a bonus.

Would second everything SnitGTS said except we're not buying another house anytime soon :).

Wife didn't realize she really - really needed the power seats but didn't want leather and would she would have liked the rear view camera - didn't want to incur extra cost.  So far we're very happy with the SE.

Edited by moytoyx

For about $3000 more for the SEL over the SE one gets:

Heated Mirrors

Leather

MFT

Fog Lights

Rain Sensing Wipers

Auto Dimming Mirror

Garage Door Opener

Power Drivers Seat

Push Button Start

Security System

Rear Center Armrest

IMHO, if one wanted leather to begin with the other additional features are well worth $2000.

My SE has heated mirrors, MyFord Touch and a rear center armrest. The mirrors are part of the winter package, the MFT is part of the 202A equipment group and the armrest is standard equipment.

About the only things I would want from the SEL would be the fog lights and the security system. Everything else I could either live without or rather not have. I do miss the old days of more a la carte options instead of these pre-packaged bundles.

For me, a dead-base SE was about as much money as I could spend, and while MFT seemed fun, I've always felt it was dumb to pay for a big screen if you weren't getting nav, and why would you do that since an iPhone on a dash mount gives you a better voice-recognition and nav system than MFT with nav. BUT. Leather would be nice...and the amount of money it takes to upgrade the SE's stereo to the equivalent of the Sony system is ABSURD. So if I could do it again, I'd get MFT with Sony and nav---on an SEL if I could swing it, on an SE if I couldn't.

We got the Sel because we wanted the extra features plus not having a power seat would have been a non starter for us. I'm 6'1, wife is 5'4 & daughter is 5'2. My back messes up on occasion so wanted the lumbar support too. If I could have gotten an SE with power seat I would have considered it. I would also think you might have been able to get a better deal on an in stock SEL if you could find one. I only paid 25, 700 OTD for mine.

Dang! good deal, I paid almost $36k for my fully loaded Platinum White SEL OTD

For me, a dead-base SE was about as much money as I could spend, and while MFT seemed fun, I've always felt it was dumb to pay for a big screen if you weren't getting nav, and why would you do that since an iPhone on a dash mount gives you a better voice-recognition and nav system than MFT with nav. BUT. Leather would be nice...and the amount of money it takes to upgrade the SE's stereo to the equivalent of the Sony system is ABSURD. So if I could do it again, I'd get MFT with Sony and nav---on an SEL if I could swing it, on an SE if I couldn't.

An iPhone or even an Android on a dash is useless in parts of Malibu, No signal, no net=useless map and address, as I found out. Plus googlemaps drain the crap out of the batts and with DroidX if the batt is hot (and it does when the maps is used) it won't charge. I've been burnt by trusting the phone maps so I said never again.

For me, it was a no brainer plus nothing beats the large screen for ease of sight when navigating and seeing the up ahead street names and road curvature vs a wee lil phone screen. That's my experience using the MFT for my RE appraisal work and I won't solely rely on a phone anymore. I may supplement MFT with the phone, if anything.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

@obob: Katzkin brand leather seat recovering kits, most likely. Many dealers sell & will install them, and they are available in a dizzying array of colors and a couple of textures. As I recall, there's a color that matches the C-Max medium light stone interior, Oyster maybe. And various graphitey colors that should match the black. 

@Jus, I have a nav app (Magellan) on my phone that doesn't require a cell signal (maps stored on the phone, all it needs is a GPS signal). Expensive as apps go, but vastly cheaper than optional nav on the car. I hear you on the big screen tho.

You know I did consider that before I bought the CMax but then I thought...I got a phone (need a charger when it decides to get off the berzerk mode) and then if I got a GPS (need another charger) so thats 2 pieces of wires I need to plug in and hang all over the dash. Meh.

You know for me it works based on my actual experience. Funny enuf I didn't want a MFT at the start, thought exactly like you - an oversize waste of money but after the first drive, I was sold. Each to their own I guess :)

PapaJ the you don't get the moon roof just because you got an SEL, it's an additional $2-2.5k option.

For me it's always best to get the fully loaded package. it's much better at resale or trade in. and if you are buying the car, with a 5 year option that extra 3-4k is really nothing at all each month in the big scheme of things, and id rather have more and be set with all the need and not use it than getting less and regretting it later.

you really do get a LOT more on the SEL for not much more money.

I've always loved leather, even if it's a little hotter in the summer. one spill on cloth and its over, whereas on leather it is easier to clean.cloth tears and loosens up and shows stains like crazy.

leather when taken care of lasts a long time, and one again is more desirable when sold

after the first year most  electronic bugs will be fixed.

Ford did really  limit the Trim choices in this car compared to other lines but that is a cost saver to not have a bunch of unsold inventory on lots with 5 trim levels, especially in a niche market like the hybrid is.

Its an SEL 303a package for sure for us when we get one.

Edited by salsaguy

We are picking up our new C-Max SE  Friday. I would be curious to get your reaction to our reasoning for buying the lower-end version of the car instead of the SEL.

1. No MFT -- this car is for my wife and she is not particularly technology-friendly. For us the base Sync system seems to meet our needs and does not "crash", yes?

2. No leather seats -- we are having aftermarket leather seating installed for about $1,000.

3. No sunroof -- we felt we'd rather have a standard roof than a non-opening sunroof; I think Ford kind of blew it with this feature.

4. Cost -- about $26,000 out the door, to me spending more than $30K on this microvan seemed a bit much.

Your thoughts?

1- Yes, the MFT does crash, but the other 99.9% of the time it is working it is great.  

2- A $1000 for leather seats installed is pretty good.  I got a new set of Katzkins for my Mustang off ebay and installed them myself for $200

3- The roof doesn't open, but if it is too cold, too hot, raining, or snowing, not going to open it anyway.  And open windows kill gas mileage. 

4- Fully loaded SEL 303A out the door can be found for under $30, so I think all these features are worth it:

Heated Mirrors

Leather

MFT

Fog Lights - Safety feature in inclement weather

Rain Sensing Wipers - Safety, wipes are controlled auto while you concentrate on driving

Auto Dimming Mirror 

Garage Door Opener - No extra remotes clipped to the visor

Power Drivers Seat - Though I wish it had Memory, my wife and are a 1' apart, so this is a must

Push Button Start

Security System - My trashy neighborhood, cars get broke into all the time

Rear Center Armrest

MSRP on a BASE SEL is $29160. Employee pricing on that same base SEL including a $750 rebate is $25975.That does NOT include tax. Could you please explain how you paid less "out the door" than the employee pricing and rebate. I paid $25500 "out the door" for my SE using employee pricing and $1000 rebate. The sticker on it was $27190 MSRP. I guess I'm gonna have to buy my next car in VA if they sell them that cheap out there.

Edited by Michigan Max

I remember buying my first new car a 79 VW Scirocco.  I bought a lot of aftermarket stuff to try to fancy it up.  I should have just bought the higher end model.  Over the years I spent WAY money replacing things with aftermarket products.  I did the same thing on my Chrylser Minivan.

I really enjoy the rain sensor wipers, auto headlights, push button start everyday.  I could easily get sheekskin or something equivalent if the leather was a big deal.  We have had some hot days and it hasn't been an issue.

It does clean a lot easier when you have that soda or ketchup spill.

MSRP on a BASE SEL is $29160. Employee pricing on that same base SEL including a $750 rebate is $25975.That does NOT include tax. Could you please explain how you paid less "out the door" than the employee pricing and rebate. I paid $25500 "out the door" for my SE using employee pricing and $1000 rebate. The sticker on it was $27190 MSRP. I guess I'm gonna have to buy my next car in VA if they sell them that cheap out there.

$24,625 at Koons Ford Baltimore MD right now for an SEL in Gray. Mine was Red. I got the standard $750 rebate for cash plus the brochure rebate of $750. It's possible, as I did, to comparison shop between dealers & have them compete against each other for the business. I actually had another dealer contact me with a better price  while I was in the other dealership working the deal. They came in @ $25,500 OTD. I told them I'd already shook hands on the other deal. X plan is nice, but it's not always the "best" deal.

http://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2013-Ford-C-Max+Hybrid-8f02bbe90a0a000201ddff769f969a27.htm

Edited by METROMAN

$24,625 at Koons Ford Baltimore MD right now for an SEL in Gray. Mine was Red. I got the standard $750 rebate for cash plus the brochure rebate of $750. It's possible, as I did, to comparison shop between dealers & have them compete against each other for the business. I actually had another dealer contact me with a better price  while I was in the other dealership working the deal. They came in @ $25,500 OTD. I told them I'd already shook hands on the other deal. X plan is nice, but it's not always the "best" deal.

http://www.koons.com/new/Ford/2013-Ford-C-Max+Hybrid-8f02bbe90a0a000201ddff769f969a27.htm

Holy cow, that really is a deal. I should have had you shop for me! 

$24,625 at Koons Ford Baltimore MD right now for an SEL in Gray. Mine was Red. I got the standard $750 rebate for cash plus the brochure rebate of $750. It's possible, as I did, to comparison shop between dealers & have them compete against each other for the business. I actually had another dealer contact me with a better price while I was in the other dealership working the deal. They came in @ $25,500 OTD. I told them I'd already shook hands on the other deal. X plan is nice, but it's not always the "best" deal.

Does your otd price include your trade-in? Edited by Testdriver