C-Max Energi commercial " How far can you go on $20?"

salsaguy

While getting dressed this morn 6/18 I happened to see the tail end of a brand new Ford commercial for the CMax Energi. It showed the car driving over a bridge / through a populated city from an overhead view point at the end and the announcer asks "How far can you go on $20?"

which is part of their new campaign I assume.

I tried to find a link to the commercial video but was unsuccessful.

Anyone see this yet and know where I can watch the full version of the commercial?

If I'm remembering my conversions right, $20 buys me around 200kWh of electricity, which should give me about 600 miles of driving range. There's going to be lots of variations for local power costs, but my $0.10/kWh is on the cheaper side.

I'd like to see how far an Energi goes with 1 charge only and 1 tank of gas. I just want to see how a bigger battery would improve the MPGs. I told Ford at the Irvine Pow-Wow I thought if they could squeeze a little bigger battery, perhaps 1/2 size of the Energi, that would be beneficial for the regular C-Max as my old route I use to use the canyons to mega charge and then see it waste the rest. Yes, I know there is a weight-energi issue but hell, if Matt can carry 300lbs and still do 750+ miles, I like to see 300lbs of extra batts - which funny enuf is the diff in weight between an Energi and the regular.

bigger battery but not hog up the trunk space is the key. I'm sure many didnt get an Energi once they saw how much space the batty took up and how little cargo space was left to use. Since the Energi was meant for local around town driving < 40 mph, it's not really meant for trips where you pack a bunch of gear into it, but I'm sure that didn't stop some. most 1st time hybrid buyers have no clue why they should get an all EV vs a hybrid vs. a diesel car.each one is good in its own peak environment and not the other and yet they try and make it do things it wasn't meant to do and then complain they didn't get what they expected, instead of blaming themselves for not doing the proper research first.

I'm sure the extra weight of the Energi kills it in ICE/gas mode more than the regular hybrid CMax.

Edited by salsaguy

Energi weighs 7% more than the normal hybrid.

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/exterior/

That about matches the difference in city mpg (EPA rates hybrid at 47, Energi at 44).  Weight matters when you're accelerating it.

On the highway weight shouldn't matter much, but there the Energi is rated 41 vs 47 for the hybrid.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33336&id=33010

Car and Driver said the Energi has a lower final drive ratio to allow it to run in all EV mode most of the time.  That would explain the big difference in highway mpg.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-ford-c-max-energi-first-drive-review

It looks like the Energi also has a bigger gas tank, 14.0 compared to 13.5 gallons, almost 4% more gas.

In any case, I'm not going to try to see how far I can go on a tank of gas, since that kind of defeats the purpose of the plug-in, which is to run on grid power instead of gas.