3.5.1 & Liftgate update- mpg changes?

wamba2000

Ok, I think this is crazy, but have to ask.

Just gt my Cmax back after the updates were applied yesterday.  It has over 3300 miles on the odo, over half in EV.  Had a short errand to run last night, involved mostly freeway driving in light traffic.  The Battery showed almost fully charged.

Here is what I observed: Using the "Engage" mode, I saw the ICE running and was locked on cruise at 72-73 mph, and mileage side showed 60+ mpg consistently for over 7 miles of driving.  Fairly level driving, typical suburban freeway in Phoenix.  Temps were over 100, and the Engage showed no EV motor engagement.

I have NEVER seen that kind of mpg with the ICE running, unless it was kicking over to EV.  If it had been for a short burst, ok---but this was several miles.

Either the display values have changed or there is an internal change to the power train management software that got applied......????

Am I just crazy or was I just lucky for a moment?  Any ideas?

Edited by wamba2000

That can certainly happen especially on downhill grades (what freeway and approx.start and finish points).  Also, the electric motor can / does provide brief assistance when needed. The amount of EV will be slight and barely noticeable on the screens.   I see this all the time driving west on the Superstition Freeway (US 60) from about Apache Junction on a 15 mile stretch where the elevation drops about 400 feet.  The freeway looks level but isn't.  But, I don't see the 60+ white mpg for 7 continuous miles as ICE picks up more load going over the overpasses on the freeway and mpg drops usually into the 40's.

56th street is about 1590 feet but it's flat until you get to about Princess.  Then it drops to about 1290 feet elevation at Indian Bend.  So, you're dropping 300 feet in about 7 miles (about 42 feet per mile).  That will definitely help FE   If I make a rough calculation, the potential energy that you used in the descent from 1590 to 1290 feet would be equivalent to the energy saved by lowering your speed by around 6 mph from 72 to 66 mph for the 7 miles.   Or put another way the 300 feet of potential energy offset the increase in drag by going from 66 mph to 72 mph for the 7 miles.

Like I've said before there's nothing magic about the C-Max or the "illusive MPG sweet spot".  AFAIK, the C-Max obeys the laws of physics. :)