C-MAXes here, there, everywhere.

There are two (counting Sparkes) in my little town. A real estate guy has a white Hybrid with big magnetic signs advertising his business. This is historically a GM town, so you see fewer Fords anyway, and to Testdriver's point, a WAY different vehicle mix than you see in Ann Arbor! Nevertheless I am hoping more people discover this little gem of a car.

There are two (counting Sparkes) in my little town. A real estate guy has a white Hybrid with big magnetic signs advertising his business. This is historically a GM town, so you see fewer Fords anyway, and to Testdriver's point, a WAY different vehicle mix than you see in Ann Arbor! Nevertheless I am hoping more people discover this little gem of a car.

I find it even more amazing going to California where you'll get ridiculed for driving an American car (or at least you'd use to) vs Michigan where if you park a foreign vehicle in the wrong parking lot, especially the downriver area (southern Detroit suburbs), it's liable to get keyed, smashed in and flipped over. Even in Ann Arbor, I'm pretty sure foreign vehicles are easily in the minority.

I'll always remember from my first trip to the Bay Area (in around 1999), visiting my brother's office parking lot and seeing about 70% of the spaces filled with VW Passat's. I have nothing against the Passat, but it was not such an amazing vehicle that you'd think everyone should have one. Strange. I suppose maybe the Prius has replaced the Passat in that sort of herd buying in areas of Cali.

Edited by Testdriver

I find it even more amazing going to California where you'll get ridiculed for driving an American car (or at least you'd use to) vs the Michigan where if you park a foreign vehicle in the wrong parking lot, especially the downriver area (southern Detroit suburbs), it's liable to get keyed, smashed in and flipped over. Even in Ann Arbor, I'm pretty sure foreign vehicles are easily in the minority.

When we were moving from Duluth, MN to Milan, MI in 1985 we had a Subaru. My husband was seriously worried, for exactly the reasons you describe, Testdriver. Thankfully, we never had any issues, but all our cars have been American made since then.

When we were moving from Duluth, MN to Milan, MI in 1985 we had a Subaru. My husband was seriously worried, for exactly the reasons you describe, Testdriver. Thankfully, we never had any issues, but all our cars have been American made since then.

Obviously, those kinds of issues are pretty rare and can be avoided by using a little common sense -- like don't park a Camry in a UAW Local parking lot or GM assembly plant.

watch it there test driver, you're in company with a current owner of a 2012 Passat and former owner of a 2004.5 Passat. :)  Great cars. yes popular, but not as common as i would like; but that's ok as i like to have a more unique car and not follow the masses. Priuses definitely rule the land here on So Cal.

I'll always remember from my first trip to the Bay Area (in around 1999), visiting my brother's office parking lot and seeing about 70% of the spaces filled with VW Passat's. I have nothing against the Passat, but it was not such an amazing vehicle that you'd think everyone should have one. Strange. I suppose maybe the Prius has replaced the Passat in that sort of herd buying in areas of Cali.