Is it the Season? Premium Gas? 3.5.1 upgrade?

Adair

I have 150 miles on this tank of gas, and my running average mpg for the tank is 48.3!!!! This is my second full tank of premium gas. With the first, I got my miles per tank at 558....a full 52 miles more than my previous best, and still with gas in the tank. I honestly think I could have made it to 600 on that one, but I had fuel points to use or lose at Kroger.............so.....I caved and filled up. My previous best tank average was 45.

The Miles to Empty said 535 this afternoon! Crikey!!! What's up with that?!?!

It's consistently warm here in MI now.....temps reaching 80+ in the afternoons, and usually starting out @ 50+

I had the 3.5.1 upgrade done at the end of May, I *think* during that last tank, but I'd have to look at dates. Jelly was at the dealership and we were OOT some. But it doesn't matter.

What are your thoughts? Is it the Season? The Premium Gas, or the 3.5.1 upgrade? Or a combination? The daily route has not changed;

I LOVE my C-MAX!!!

Edited by Adair

2,200 miles in one month with my new C-max with the lifetime avg at 46.5 mpg. I run super also, but haven't needed the AC or heat since buying it except once maybe twice.

My guesstimate is the weather. Reading on this forum, I just found out about changing the My View panel (left side) to show what the power draw is of everything in the car.

I am expecting low 40s with the heat and cold and still will be more than happy.

Glad to hear your mpg is increasing though!

Based on what I've read the C-Max is very susceptible to cold weather, so my guess would be weather is the major factor with the premium gas being a secondary factor.  I don't think 3.5.1 could have much of any effect on your mileage.  

Your 21 fill ups with a max in the low 500's means you are probably around 10-12,000 miles, so your car should be broken in now which is probably helping a little as well.

Have you changed your driving habits at all? 

Edited by SnitGTS

Include engine break-in people ;)

This car is unlike gas engine or any other car I know and I will atest where once I thought the engine break-in was finished at 11,000 or 12,000...it still continues with slightly increasing MPGs. And I have consistent temps as well.

Adair - pump some wee bit more air into the tires say 44PSI (measured cold), you'll see more improvements ;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Adair, with all the good tips and tricks in these forums, how can you insult all the hard work the masters have done to help others and you say you havent used any of them to improve you mileage?

:)

Nope, and I am under 10,000. W/O going out to the car and checking, I am less than 8,000. No change in driving habits, routes, distance. 

Adair, with all the good tips and tricks in these forums, how can you insult all the hard work the masters have done to help others and you say you havent used any of them to improve you mileage?

No, I only meant within the past few tanks there has been no change in driving habits. Of course I've learned a ton from everyone here and have radically altered my driving style since last drove the Jeep.

No insults intended. I wouldn't have learned as much on the other C-MAX forum, for sure.

Not sure how / why premium gas would make any difference. Here's a quick read I just received from a Ford dealership today. Glad to hear you're doing so well.

http://news.sheehyfordwarrenton.com/Articles/article-external635076687076245928?utm_source=3birds&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=NEWS.SHEEHYFORDWARRENTON.COM_Sheehy+Ford+Warrenton+June+Newsletter

Not sure how / why premium gas would make any difference. Here's a quick read I just received from a Ford dealership today. Glad to hear you're doing so well.

http://news.sheehyfordwarrenton.com/Articles/article-external635076687076245928?utm_source=3birds&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=NEWS.SHEEHYFORDWARRENTON.COM_Sheehy+Ford+Warrenton+June+Newsletter

Should post that up on the other premium vs regular gas thread... ;)

me, i'll stay with premium since i am a simple driver.

I thought you said you were going to test the difference?

I was...but no one from here came up to pay as I waited at Costco for a gas I don't normally use :hysterical: so I went back to premium.

:hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:  :hysterical:

..and good for a laugh or 2  :salute:

I was...but no one from here came up to pay as I waited at Costco for a gas I don't normally use :hysterical: so I went back to premium.

..and good for a laugh or 2  :salute:

In Cali, your regular is probably more than our premium, lol. :drop:

So sorry, it won't be me.