SSM 32273 - MyTouch Blank/Black Screen, Application Desktop.exe Error Message, Or System Reboot With Display Message Performing System Maintenance

SSM 32273 - MyTouch Blank/Black Screen, Application Desktop.exe Error Message, Or System Reboot With Display Message Performing System Maintenance
Some MyTouch equipped vehicles may exhibit a blank/black screen, Application Desktop.exe error message, or a system reboot with a screen display of Performing System Maintenance that occurs frequently. Unique characters stored in phonebook entries, or the phone's name, may be creating these condition. To restore system function, the customer’s phone must have all special characters/smiley face emoticons removed. Once all special characters/smiley face emoticons are removed from the phonebook and/or phone name, perform a Master Reset on the Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM), then repair the phone to the system. Engineering is currently investigating this condition. Monitor OASIS for updates. 

This SSM annoys me.  I have always thought that the black screen and "Performing System Maintenance" was a crash. Why not call a spade a spade?  I would rather see "your system crashed--your phonebook has too much crap".

Because the "Performing System Maintenance" could be caused by a number of things.  They are only saying if you see this, it may be your phonebook.