Wanna break a 1,000 miles a tank - go get a Fusion Hybrid (allegedly)

So I posted my 833.8 on Ford Social - might as well since no one is rooting for our CMaxs :drool:

Then someone claimed his Ford Fusion hybrid did a 1,013 miles. And then also claims he didn't have a picture of it. Now, if you did something momentous like this, EVERYONE has a camera phone and why wouldn't you take a picture of it to show to your wife, colleagues and friends? :runaway:

Anyway, I am not really doubting his claim (I am but its my thread so I can say what I want to say) but a Fusion Hybrid vs CMax - totally different aerodynamics, platforms, driveability and utility. The only thing they have in common is the powerplant and the MFT.

You guys know where to find the link.

Discuss away...

PS I'll keep my CMax even if it just does 500 miles cause you can't fit 2 mountain bikes, or pack the vehicle full of snowboard/skis and tons of gear without a box in a FFH....there is NO utility in a Fusion Hybrid...its an ordinary sedan with an Ashton Martin grill....so there... :confused:

;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

At a Ford sponsored even a first gen Fusion Hybrid managed over 1000 miles on a tank with some serious hypermiling. We've never heard of this over at the Fusion Hybrid Forum. The FFH has a 13.5 gal tank just like the C-Max. Actually no one at the Fusion Forum has gotten over 700 miles to a tank in the FFH because our tanks seem to be smaller, even though Ford says they're 13.5 gallons. Most of us are seeing 0 DTE after about 11.5 gallons used according to the trip meter, which is a lot less than in the C-Max and rarely do we seem to be able to put in more than about 12.5 gallons even when going many miles past 0 on the DTE

At a Ford sponsored even a first gen Fusion Hybrid managed over 1000 miles on a tank with some serious hypermiling. We've never heard of this over at the Fusion Hybrid Forum. The FFH has a 13.5 gal tank just like the C-Max. Actually no one at the Fusion Forum has gotten over 700 miles to a tank in the FFH because our tanks seem to be smaller, even though Ford says they're 13.5 gallons. Most of us are seeing 0 DTE after about 11.5 gallons used according to the trip meter, which is a lot less than in the C-Max and rarely do we seem to be able to put in more than about 12.5 gallons even when going many miles past 0 on the DTE

Thanks hybridbear, I didn't have time to check the FFH forum that night - if there is one or anyone close to breaking the big numbers, it would be you guys :)  I peaked at fuelly.com and theres nothing telling there except for a few which appear to have the wrong FFH type - they are really Energis. We had a similar problem initially in Fuelly as well with the intermixing of the Energi and regular CMaxs...but like I said, I could be wrong.

The tank refuel is big news to me...is that receiving a lot of complaints? I would definitely be PO if Ford jibbed me out of that 2 1/2 gallon (assuming 11.5 avg). According to LizM and I also checked the Ford site, you guys have an even larger tank with 14 gallons vs 13.5 non-Energi CMaxs aka us. Energi C-Max has 14 gallon - be interesting if those boyz also get their full 14 gallons from 0 DTE.

I checked the specs and the hybrid has 14.0 gal tank. - so yes, it's larger.

I thought it was 13.5 as well - thanks for the clarity.

A Passat TDI set the world record for distance traveled on a single tank of fuel, 1,626 miles.

http://phys.org/news/2012-05-volkswagen-passat-world-longest-distance.html

Foo..gotta me a Passat (after I get a Prii, in that order  ;) )  4.6c per mile makes my 6.6c looks like I drove a BIG SUV. Reading the aticle, the numbers are similar to mine but instead of 3 days (obviously this couple doesn't work or on vacation time), it took me 15 days but the end hours are similar (assuming they used a lapsed time).

I think the best on a Prii was 1,3xx - that was pretty impressive given the even smaller tank size but that one was a special route and loop and team, just for hypermiling purposes only. Although, someone reckons the 1,000 is a doable in real world driving conditions.

Thanks hybridbear, I didn't have time to check the FFH forum that night - if there is one or anyone close to breaking the big numbers, it would be you guys :)  I peaked at fuelly.com and theres nothing telling there except for a few which appear to have the wrong FFH type - they are really Energis. We had a similar problem initially in Fuelly as well with the intermixing of the Energi and regular CMaxs...but like I said, I could be wrong.

The tank refuel is big news to me...is that receiving a lot of complaints? I would definitely be PO if Ford jibbed me out of that 2 1/2 gallon (assuming 11.5 avg). According to LizM and I also checked the Ford site, you guys have an even larger tank with 14 gallons vs 13.5 non-Energi CMaxs aka us. Energi C-Max has 14 gallon - be interesting if those boyz also get their full 14 gallons from 0 DTE.

I thought it was 13.5 as well - thanks for the clarity.

The FFH tank is 13.5 gallons. The info on Ford.com has been wrong since day 1 and has never been corrected. The Energi (both Fusion & C-Max) models have a 14 gal tank. The hybrid (both Fusion & C-Max) models have a 13.5 gal tank. There has been almost no complaining, mostly just observation about how it's hard to fill our tanks. Many of us also have issues with gas pumps shutting off even on the slowest setting. This means that we have to hold the pump on at a very, very slow speed to fill the car. It seems to be a tank venting issue because it doesn't happen all the time and even at the same gas pump it doesn't always happen. I've found that putting the nozzle in and taking it out a few times before beginning to fill allows me to get more gas in. Also, even when the car shows that we've used 10+ gallons the pumps usually click off the first time around 8 gallons and then we're able to add about 2-3 gallons more before the 2nd click off.

Hopefully my parents won't have this issue with their C-Max Energi. They should be able to go 2000+ miles per tank of gas. So far they've had their Energi about a week and have burned 1 gallon in 200+ miles of driving.

HB, thats a problem even with some of our CMax tanks as you probably saw. Personally, I always use the lowest setting myself as well but no issue there. I swear I am lucky to avoid these and other issues. Touch wood.

1 gallon for 200+ miles, they'll be breaking the 2,500 miles per tank soon. Sign them up for the CMax Energi forum, those are great numbers from what I know :rockon:

• 2 weeks later...

There has been almost no complaining, mostly just observation about how it's hard to fill our tanks. Many of us also have issues with gas pumps shutting off even on the slowest setting. This means that we have to hold the pump on at a very, very slow speed to fill the car. It seems to be a tank venting issue because it doesn't happen all the time and even at the same gas pump it doesn't always happen. I've found that putting the nozzle in and taking it out a few times before beginning to fill allows me to get more gas in.

Putting it about half way in seems to help.

Edited by Jmonty