My parents finally got their Energi

hybridbear

wow talk about Ford and hybrid car loyalty in the same family:) best of both worlds for sure. can't wait to hear you relate their first impressions and driving experience to us all. you plan on doing a lot of training with them with all the hidden features and tech and gadgets the cmax has? for someone that came from the baby boom era instead of the internet age era, it can be a little daunting for sure.

i wonder how many folks over 50 are scared to /avoid buying a new car due to this fact alone??

SOOOOOOO Cool HybridBear!! I hope your parents enjoy their new ride. I have to think they may be of *my* generation, and I'm lovin' my Hybrid! It's a whole new world out there! Welcome to the Forum (if only vicariously) Mom and Dad HybridBear!!!

They're both retired now and are pushing 70...I got them signed up for the Energi Forum so that I can send them links to topics that will be helpful to them to read. So far they are loving driving gas free!

hybridbear - I can definitely see you borrowing your parents car for the trips to HomeDepot ;)

Congratz to the family on their purchase, wise choice indeed :rockon:

Hahaha yes! We can fit a lot in our Fusion Hybrid, but more bulky items will fit better in the Energi

wow talk about Ford and hybrid car loyalty in the same family:) best of both worlds for sure. can't wait to hear you relate their first impressions and driving experience to us all. you plan on doing a lot of training with them with all the hidden features and tech and gadgets the cmax has? for someone that came from the baby boom era instead of the internet age era, it can be a little daunting for sure.

i wonder how many folks over 50 are scared to /avoid buying a new car due to this fact alone??

This is their first ever Ford. My dad has owned nothing but Chryslers his whole life and is still very loyal to Chrysler. Our excellent experience with our FFH is what got them interested in looking at a plug-in hybrid and the C-Max. Since they're retired they go somewhere almost every day but rarely drive more than 20 miles in a day. Most of their trips are less than 3 miles in length so the PHEV is perfect for them. In the Chrysler 300M that was replaced by the C-Max they would average about 15 MPG because all their driving is in the city. In the Nissan Murano they still have they get about 13 MPG because all their trips are short city trips. For them the Energi is way better than the C-Max Hybrid because their trips are so short that the hybrid wouldn't get very good gas mileage for them because of how long the ICE runs when it first comes on to warm up. But with the Energi that isn't an issue and they can just drive in EV Now every day and use the electricity from the wall to cool or heat the car before leaving when needed. The C-Max is the only plug-in that is high enough off the ground for them to be comfortable in dealing with arthritis and back pain, the Volt and Leaf are too low, so is the Prius. If we lived in California I think they would have purchased something like a Rav4 EV because that would be more comfortable than the C-Max but Toyota refuses to sell them outside of the CARB states.

I have been helping them learn how to use the features both in the car and the MyFordMobile website for PHEV owners. My mom is fairly tech saavy but my dad still refuses to learn how to use a computer or the internet. He really loves the voice commands though because they're easier for him to remember than trying to use the touch screen. My mom has been learning how to use the MFM app on her iPhone to set go times and review their driving history. They both are learning how to see the feedback the car provides and are both averaging around 97% brake score after only 150 miles so far with the car.

My dad drove city bus here in Minneapolis for more than 15 years before retiring so he's very quick to adapt to different vehicles and has quickly learned the feel of the brake pedal, steering and accelerator to drive efficiently and he's been averaging over 130 MPGe so far on most of his trips.