Humming Noise

LizM

Not to be confused with A/C start up noise.  

Today, I drove my 3 (male) co-workers to lunch.  About a mile down the road a humming sound that I had never noticed before started.  As I adjusted my foot on the pedal it did seem to stop.  On the way back from the restaurant, about a mile down the road, the sound started again.  One of my passengers commented that it sounded like the "drive-train".  Adjusted my foot again and it seems to stop, but starts again when I need to accelerate.

I am not mechanically inclined in the least, but do you think that this is something to contact the dealer about?  

The temp is in the mid 90's, It didn't last the entire trip - which was about 5 miles each way.

We have a 2008 Escape hybrid. From day one(as found in the owners manual) it made weird sounds. Things you will never hear In a non hybrid car. At 80,000 miles it hums, clicks, buzzes, hums, and makes all sorts of strange noises. We have never had a mechanical problem. If performance is the same, and you have no other issue then hearing the sound, I wouldn't worry about it. However a trip to the dealer may make you feel better. 

It's not the sound of the gas engine kicking in, is it?  The internal combustion engine on the C-Max has a higher than typical compression ratio.  As a result, it sometimes sounds rather like a diesel, with a guttural, rattly sound.  Not to worry if this is the case.

If you had the energy flow pictogram on the MFT screen at the time, you may have been able to determine if the noise only happens when charging the HV battery or maybe when the car is operating in hybrid mode. In my car, in hybrid mode the gas engine tends to run at a very low RPM resulting in a low pitched moaning sound.

Sound did not return when I drove home after work, nor when my husband and I went out to dinner.  

Guess I will keep listening...thanks for the advice above.  I think amoredsaint could be right about the extra weight.   :headscratch:

Edited by LizM