Ford C-Max: Has anyone ordered one yet?

I ordered mine on August 5th, recieved a VIN two weeks later and it was built September 7th. However it's been sitting on the lot in Michigan ever since. If you check Ford's website under dealer inventory you'll see what vehicles your local dealer has on order or in stock. In my case I checked and it turned out the dealer I ordered from had just recieved a similar vehicle to what I was waiting for. I talked to the sales manager and he let me swap out the one they recieved for the waiting still sitting at the Michigan plant. In most cases I think they'd rather sell one now then take the chance you'll cancel your order because you're tired of waiting.

There are a few ways to track your vehicle. First your dealer/salesman has the means to track it just bug them for weekly updates. There's also a guy who does it at Blue Oval Forums but he has strict rules for his service becuase he does it on his own time and doesn't want to get overwhelmed with requests so read his rules first. The easiest method I found to track the order was through Twitter using the Ford Service account. If you tweet Ford Service your VIN they'll gladly track it for you. If you haven't recieved a VIN two to three weeks after ordering there may be something wrong with the way the dealer submitted your order.

Edited by dtorres

I ordered mine on August 5th, recieved a VIN two weeks later and it was built September 7th. However it's been sitting on the lot in Michigan ever since. If you check Ford's website under dealer inventory you'll see what vehicles your local dealer has on order or in stock. In my case I checked and it turned out the dealer I ordered from had just recieved a similar vehicle to what I was waiting for. I talked to the sales manager and he let me swap out the one they recieved for the waiting still sitting at the Michigan plant. In most cases I think they'd rather sell one now then take the chance you'll cancel your order because you're tired of waiting.

There are a few ways to track your vehicle. First your dealer/salesman has the means to track it just bug them for weekly updates. There's also a guy who does it at Blue Oval Forums but he has strict rules for his service becuase he does it on his own time and doesn't want to get overwhelmed with requests so read his rules first. The easiest method I found to track the order was through Twitter using the Ford Service account. If you tweet Ford Service your VIN they'll gladly track it for you. If you haven't recieved a VIN two to three weeks after ordering there may be something wrong with the way the dealer submitted your order.

You ordered your C-MAX on August 5th and received your VIN by Sept. 7th. WOW that's pretty fast. Did your dealer tell you when it will ship from where it's made?

My understanding is once the VIN is issued your car is usually built within one to two weeks of the VIN being issued. There are several websites where you can pull up the window sticker once you have the VIN and it will show you the expected build date for your vehicle.

All U.S. built C-Max's are built in the Michigan Auto Plant (M.A.P. for short). Unfortunately the dealer can not predict when it will ship after being built. It could go out the next day or sit at the factory for a month as the one I ordered is doing. That's why the dealer let me switch to one that had already arrived on his lot.

My understanding is once the VIN is issued your car is usually built within one to two weeks of the VIN being issued. There are several websites where you can pull up the window sticker once you have the VIN and it will show you the expected build date for your vehicle.

All U.S. built C-Max's are built in the Michigan Auto Plant (M.A.P. for short). Unfortunately the dealer can not predict when it will ship after being built. It could go out the next day or sit at the factory for a month as the one I ordered is doing. That's why the dealer let me switch to one that had already arrived on his lot.

I read on the blue oval site that once your VIN is issued, you have only a few weeks to make any changes because they will build it within that window.

I ordered a C Max and the dealer told me it would be build in early November. I saw the exact same one (same color, same equipment) on a local dealer's inventory. I asked my dealer if he would trade the other dealer for one I saw on the internet so I could get it right now. He said that that the dealer with the car would not be interested in trading because it was a hot commodity. I doubt if he even tried. Should I be mad, or let it go and wait until Thanksgiving? The think that makes me mad is that I went out on a limb and ordered the car from the dealer and because of that, I am locked into a contract and can't get the one at the local dealer. I am getting the x plan price, so the dealer doesn't matter to me.

Ordered one on Oct 6 after a test drive at a local dealer. I was impressed with the performance given it's a hybrid and the interior fit and finish was pretty good. The salesman guessed 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.

I think your dealer was pretty optimistic. 6 to 8 weeks seems to be the norm for Ford orders.

I ordered a C Max and the dealer told me it would be build in early November. I saw the exact same one (same color, same equipment) on a local dealer's inventory. I asked my dealer if he would trade the other dealer for one I saw on the internet so I could get it right now. He said that that the dealer with the car would not be interested in trading because it was a hot commodity. I doubt if he even tried. Should I be mad, or let it go and wait until Thanksgiving? The think that makes me mad is that I went out on a limb and ordered the car from the dealer and because of that, I am locked into a contract and can't get the one at the local dealer. I am getting the x plan price, so the dealer doesn't matter to me.

Try talking to the other dealer to see if they'll match the deal and if they can guide you on how to recoup your deposit from the first dealership. I think your first dealership is full of it. There is interest in the C-Max and I think with time that will grow but the demand isn't there yet. Most people who see mine don't even know what it is. Ford has spent much more time and money advertising the upcoming Fusion Hybrid. Not to mention Ford just expanded the $1000 rebate on the car through the end of the year. Why do that if the car is so hot. There's interest but not a ton of sales yet so they're full of it.

Edited by dtorres

Dealers dont like to trade unless the vehicle is very common. They'd rather to keep a car in stock so they can demo it and take orders, show different available colors etc. Unless you have some reason you have to get a car right away, waiting for your order is probably the way to go, espeically with X-Plan. You can always ask to be released from your order and take a chance the other dealer would match the deal.