Sync (non-Touch) Update?

syncmyride shows that my C-Max's (4.1.2.F) SYNC system is up to date, but I found the below information on OASIS. Has anybody with a non-Touch C-Max seen an update to 4.2.1.F for their SYNC system?

My Current Version

Assembly: DB5T-14D212-AC
VIP: DG1T-14D205-AB
CIP: DG1T-14D544-AC
Version: Gen1 - 4.1.2.F

Description: This software update is based on your feedback and contains improvements to the SYNC voice recognition system. This includes several enhancements in the handling of phone commands, such as being able to handle all caps in phonebook names.

Please Read: This update will take up to 5 minutes to complete. Approximately 40 seconds after you begin the installation, you will receive an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait and additional 4-5 minutes until you receive a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval, while the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure your vehicle is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process.

New Version?
Assembly: DB5T-14D212-AE
VIP: DG1T-14D205-AB
CIP: DG1T-14D544-AE
Version: Gen1 - 4.2.1.F

Description: This new software will provide the following enhancements to your current SYNC

system:
-Updated Bluetooth device connectivity
-Improved system stability
-Improved media player functionality
-Enhanced voice recognition capabilities
-Optimized for use with Apple iOS 6 for incoming text messaging

This update includes improvements from all previous SYNC updates such as flattened phone

grammar, improvements in device indexing, text messaging capabilities with the implementation

of message access profile (MAP), and more. For additional information on previous updates,

visit SYNCmyride.com

Please Read: This update may take up to 20 minutes to complete. About 1 to 3 minutes after you

begin the installation, you will hear an Installation Complete message. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR USB

DRIVE OR TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE. You must wait up to an additional 20 minutes until you receive

a second Installation Complete message before removing your USB drive. During this interval,

while the update is loading, SYNC will not recognize your mobile phone or media device. Be sure

your vehicle's engine is running (not in Accessory mode) throughout the entire installation

process. Although your vehicle must be in Park when you initiate the installation process, once

the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

I guess I must be the only aging Baby Boomer/ Dinosaur that does`nt embrace all this gadgetry and technology.  I truly want to purchase a 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid SE (without) SYNC or My Ford "with or without" Touch!  Could I simply exchange all the above for a Sirius/XM Satellite Radio which I truly would use and enjoy?  If your own a simple portable $70 Garmin GPS, and  have no desire to "bluetooth" with your cell phone while driving, don`t intend to upload/download music files with a MP3 Plug In or iPhone, why does one need to concern themselves with when the latest Software update is going to be released to enhance your driving experience?  Some of us just what a Hybrid for better fuel economy and environment reasons and can wait until we get home to "Like" someone on Facebook or send a Tweet to someone on Twitter!  #enoughisenough

Phil, if you don't mind my humor, you need to query Ford about the 'Troglodyte' package...

JAZ:  I already looked for it in the C-MAX 2014 Order Guide.  It was only available like Daytime Running Lights, Option # 942 for Fleet Purchase Only requiring a valid Fleet Identification Number "FIN" and I`m doing a Retail Purchase using the X-Plan. Don`t you just (hate) when that happens?  Hopefully by late January when I take delivery, they will have already upgraded to Version  Gen1 - 4.3.0F  I`m soooo excited, the anticipation is killing me!  Maybe it will evolve from MF (non-Touch) to MFT to MF (Super Duper) Touch?  Now, if they can let their Engineers concentrate on improving reports of disappointing gas mileage and battery issues and find a way to include an Emergency Spare Donut Tire and Jack Kit instead of the toy air compressor and the $.99 Can of Tire Sealant Goo, that would be an "update" everyone would truly enjoy.

I  am guessing that 4.2.1.F is the update that is supposed to accompany this TSB :

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2293-tsb-13-6-17-sync-various-functionality-concerns/

Yet the SyncMyRide site continues to tell us that our Gen 1 4.1.2.F version of Sync is current, even though clearly the current version is Gen1 - 4.2.1.F. So what happens?  If we take our car to the dealer for a software update per the TSB, will they too say our 4.1.2.F version is current and do nothing?

Because if so, I think my head will explode. My base "Sync with MyFord" (SMF) system started out more reliable than the buggy "MyFord Touch" (MFT) system others have complained about, but its performance has steadily degraded -- in particular, it is unable to reliably recognize, play and control a USB device, which makes me feel like putting my fist through the screen on pretty much a weekly basis.

I hope they update their information and send us a notice soon. For that matter, I'm wondering when we'll get notice of the fuel-economy software update they've also apparently cooked up. I am registered at both fordowner.com and syncmyride.com, but I have received zero communication from Ford about either one.

Didn't the C-Max just come in dead last on the JD Power initial quality survey, #212 out of 212 cars tested or something? It's great if Ford is responding by coming up with fixes for the complaints, but unhelpful if they don't bother to tell owners and dealers about the fixes and get the darn cars in to be fixed.

Thanks, HotPotato. My Sync system was locking up a few months ago and I had to pull a fuse to reset it. It's worked fine since then, until yesterday, but I'll have to find which fuse it was.

I don't really care what version I have, but an update to fix this occasional problem would be appreciated. I spend over two hours a day in this car and it's nice to have something to listen to besides road noise, trucks passing me, rap "music" on the radio, or the Sync 'lady' telling me that I can't use voice commands with my USB drive, which has music on it that I actually like.

We bought the SE with the base SYNC system -- my wife is a technophobe.  It is actually quite easy to use, if you don't care about Bluetooth et al  just ignore that stuff and listen to your radio. My impression is that SYNC is so integrated into the car's DNA that you would be ill-advised to try to install an aftermarket radio.

We bought the SE with the base SYNC system -- my wife is a technophobe.  It is actually quite easy to use, if you don't care about Bluetooth et al  just ignore that stuff and listen to your radio. My impression is that SYNC is so integrated into the car's DNA that you would be ill-advised to try to install an aftermarket radio.

I just purchased a 2013 Ford C-MAX yesterday July 31 and am picking it up tomorrow, Aug.2.  SE Hybrid with the 202A Package, period!  I know I`m making a Deal with the Devil all because I have enjoyed Sirius/XM Satellite  Radio in previous Vehicles.  Unfortunately, you can`t simply "upgrade" from Standard Radio to Sirius/XM without getting not only the kitchen SYNC, but My Ford Touch as well.  I hope I can simply enjoy driving this Vehicle while listening to Sirius/XM (without) having to endure endless frustration with "MFT"and  all the unwanted added Technology simply to get satellite Radio.  I will soon see.

I just purchased a 2013 Ford C-MAX yesterday July 31 and am picking it up tomorrow, Aug.2.  SE Hybrid with the 202A Package, period!  I know I`m making a Deal with the Devil all because I have enjoyed Sirius/XM Satellite  Radio in previous Vehicles.  Unfortunately, you can`t simply "upgrade" from Standard Radio to Sirius/XM without getting not only the kitchen SYNC, but My Ford Touch as well.  I hope I can simply enjoy driving this Vehicle while listening to Sirius/XM (without) having to endure endless frustration with "MFT"and  all the unwanted added Technology simply to get satellite Radio.  I will soon see.

I, too, have the base SE, 202A Package, with the basic 'SYNC with MyFord' system, which I purchased because I didn't need all the extras that come with My Ford Touch and navigation. I have a standalone GPS with lifetime map upgrades that is quite sufficient for navigation and it only cost me $100. And I have a smartphone that provides most of what those extras can do, including the GPS, for a lot less money than one of Ford's packages. Before buying my C-Max, I had also read that there were a lot of issues with SYNC, especially SYNC systems with touchscreen and navigation.

I should mention that everything to do with 'SYNC with MyFord'; Bluetooth, Line-In, USB Port, Phone Functions, etc. works fine except that I've had to reset the system and reconnect with the devices I use a couple of times, several months apart. It's not a terrible burden to perform the reset, but it would be nice not to have to. That's why I'm curious about a possible update, but I'm not screaming that I haven't received it yet.

I don't have Sirius/XM but can't imagine any problems with it if it can be plugged into the Line-In jack inside the center console.

I, too, have the base SE, 202A Package, with the basic 'SYNC with MyFord' system, which I purchased because I didn't need all the extras that come with My Ford Touch and navigation. I have a standalone GPS with lifetime map upgrades that is quite sufficient for navigation and it only cost me $100. And I have a smartphone that provides most of what those extras can do, including the GPS, for a lot less money than one of Ford's packages. Before buying my C-Max, I had also read that there were a lot of issues with SYNC, especially SYNC systems with touchscreen and navigation.

I should mention that everything to do with 'SYNC with MyFord'; Bluetooth, Line-In, USB Port, Phone Functions, etc. works fine except that I've had to reset the system and reconnect with the devices I use a couple of times, several months apart. It's not a terrible burden to perform the reset, but it would be nice not to have to. That's why I'm curious about a possible update, but I'm not screaming that I haven't received it yet.

I don't have Sirius/XM but can't imagine any problems with it if it can be plugged into the Line-In jack inside the center console.

I think if you have the 2013 SE C-MAX in standard basic trim MSRP $25,995 it comes with simply 200A Package.  201A is Foot operated LIftgate, Ambient Lighting and Rear Bumper Parking Sensors, 202A is MFT with Sirius Radio, and 203A is all the above plus voice activated Navigation.  My $75 Garmin nuvi with Lifetime Map Updates for U.S. and Canada works fine when I need it.

i was watching one of the latest episodes of MotorWeek on my tv today, the one starring the Ford Fusion Energi (and yes they mentioned the cmax as well since they share alot of things) .they had a segment where they talked about how many folks didn't like the sync system and complained so now Ford is working on changing it to have the traditional buttons/dials along with the touch screen buttons for those that can't stand the touch screens only control of the sync system.

they already have this system in one of their upscale trucks and its coming to the next gen model Ford cars. 

it's episode 3246 which aired on 7/21/1$

see about the 15:00 minutes mark in from the start after Goss´s garage, they have the motor news update segment with Yolanda Vasquez it's called " Out of touch"

here it is:

http://www.motorweek.org/auto_news/motor_news/myford_touch

Edited by salsaguy