Nothing happens when I step on the "gas" pedal

blacter

My 3-month old C-Max has been great...until this morning. Got in the car, pressed the start button and the dashboard lit up. But when I shifted into reverse and stepped on the gas, nothing happened.

I've called the dealer, but everyone's tied up.

Have any of you heard of this?

I'm hoping it's a simple fix...like a computer that needs to be rebooted.

I had this happen once on my SE.  Turned out, when I turned the key to "start" the car, it didn't take.  The Ready to Drive symbol on the dash was not lit.  I don't know if I was just in a hurry and didn't turn the key far enough or press the brake peddle enough.  But I put the car back in park, turned the key off and tried again and it worked. 

Dumb question but, did you try it multible times?  It also could be a dead 12v battery, have you gotten the update for that?  I've never had that problem but several on here have and there are whole threads dedicated to that issue (look under the "Batteries" topics).  Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Edited by HannahWCU

Most likely you didn't push down far/hard enough on the brake pedal while pushing the start button so the car is in accessory mode not ready mode.  I do this a couple of times a week it seems.   Everything is on or appears to be except for the little green "ready" light (the one with the green car and the two opposing arrows) in the right display.

Edit:  when I do this I CAN NOT get into Reverse because the shifter is locked.  Correction of the correction:  I can sometimes get it into gear.

Edited by fotomoto

This is a known issue.  There is a tech bulletin on it.  

It hasn't happened to me for a while but it has occurred in the past. I've had the car in a couple of times so the dealer may have fixed it, not sure.  According to the bulletin once experienced if you go forward a couple of inches you can then reverse.  I have tested this and it appears to be true.

I know it's not in accessory mode because I can always go forward if I try but not in reverse.  I usually just shut the car off and restart to fix it.  If you search the forum you'll see other reports. 

I've heard it may have something to do with a mode that protects the car from rolling backwards on a hill.  The car thinks its on a hill for some reason.

Press and hold the brake pedal then the start button. If you just push the start button and not the the brake first you just get accessory mode. 

An update from the guy that started this thread...

I went to the car to get my sunglasses and figured I'd give it another try. Everything worked fine. I'm thinking I made the mistake that JohnnOhio describes above. In my case, though, I could shift into both forward and reverse, but nothing happened in either case.

BTW, I called the dealer's service department and the advisor said he had seen it before. Said there were two possible causes. One was a fuse. Don't remember the other.

Edited by blacter

UPDATE:  I just had this happen again this morning PC (pre-coffee).   Leaving the convenience store, I got into the Reverse while also getting a mis-start (accessory mode).  I realized this because A) I wasn't going anywhere :),  B) the a/c was warming up, and C) I looked at the instrument panel and saw the yellow engine light on.  Put back into P, push start button again (with foot firmly on brake this time), and everything worked correctly.

Edited by fotomoto