Pick up in Detroit?

slampro

I was thinking about something today, dangerous territory I know.

I am becoming more impatient everyday that I know our car is just sitting there with no change to status.

I have some time off next week, and I could rent a car and be there in two days, back in another two. I could pick it up before they even put it on a train, yet alone the time it takes the train to get here.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to pick up a ordered car from Detroit? Rather than waiting for another month or so for it to arrive by rail?

Anybody ever hear of someone doing this?

I thought about asking the dealer this, but I don't want to look completely stupid, or desperate. I am thinking that it is just not done, and it would not be possible. But if it is, I would do it. I'd leave Tuesday night. :shift:  

Have you signed any sale/loan/agreement papers of any kind? W/O that, I doubt they would let you take the car, because legally it's not yours yet. I truly understand your frustration! I asked the same question, once I knew my car had been built.......and I only live 40 miles away! I said I would gladly, cheerfully, happily, go pick it up.......the dealer said no. I doubt the dealer is going to let you sign ANYTHING until the car is on their lot and they've had a chance to look it over, however cursorily that is. Too much liability at stake.

Make a call on Monday and see if they can give you any closer date of arrival.

Just my $.02

Have you signed any sale/loan/agreement papers of any kind? W/O that, I doubt they would let you take the car, because legally it's not yours yet. I truly understand your frustration! I asked the same question, once I knew my car had been built.......and I only live 40 miles away! I said I would gladly, cheerfully, happily, go pick it up.......the dealer said no. I doubt the dealer is going to let you sign ANYTHING until the car is on their lot and they've had a chance to look it over, however cursorily that is. Too much liability at stake.

Make a call on Monday and see if they can give you any closer date of arrival.

Just my $.02

No, have not signed anything yet. But I would sign before I left if they would let me. I really didn't think it was possible. Just wishful thinking. I have 3 ways to check for updates. I am rotating between the sources, but there has been no change since the day it was built last week. Madmanmoons' sat for a week before it found a ride, and was built a week before ours. I am just hoping :future: that it gets a ride here sometime this next week. Once it's on it's way I will be :woot:  :clapping:

I love the fact that the Ford dealership right across the street (literally) from the Flat Rock Assembly Plant, where the Mustang is made, still charges a $795 destination fee on every Mustang they sell.  That's $795 to drive it across the street.  Gotta love it!

Yeah, that does suck.  But it means those that live a lot further away don't have to pay through the nose for destination fees.....just for everything else!!