Planning to buy a c-max this week, would you?

mw27

As stated in the title I would like to buy a c-max (SE model) this week, the dealer near me is getting a few in with the colors and options I like. However, with the recall due to the roof for the SE, battery/eletric problems, plus the computer update pending, would you still buy one?

I know that some of the problems appear larger than they might be due to forums partially existing as a place for people to vent complaints. Also if a car is getting to the lot this week would it already have the roof fix in place or the computer update? I really like this car (so much better than the prius) but I don't want to be bringing it back to the dealer for roof repair and computer updates in the first few months of purchase.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Personally, yes I would.  I haven't had any problems battery problems and such like other people have  If I have maybe my opinion would be different.  But I love my car.

The question has been asked before too.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2038-with-all-the-current-battery-problems-should-i-buy-would-you-still-buy-knowing-now/

Assuming it came straight from the factory to their lot, then yes it should have the fixes.  The FE update was rolling out of the factory early July I believe.  If you have the VIN on any of these cars you can see when the build date was by looking at the window sticker: http://www.researchmaniacs.com/Ford/TrackFactoryCarOrders.html

The headliner impact protection recall applies to C-Maxes with a build date before 6/27/13 (unless it has the panoramic roof)

The fuel efficiency (PCM) update applies to those with a build date before 7/9/13.

The discharged 12 volt battery issue has been addressed with several technical service bulletins, but remains to be seen if the problem is completely solved.

You can find the build date on the window sticker.

I would expect there to be more software updates in the future due to the complexity of the C-Max. 

I've had my C-Max since late March and have not had any issues so far.

Corrected dates.

Edited by ceemax71

Assume Ceemax71 means build date "prior" not "after" on each of his remarks above cause mine is 1/7/13 build date and it is in the recall and I can also get the FE update.  

I thought I also read that the dealer can't sell one off the lot until they have fixed the roof.

It is a great car and I am glad that are able to give us updates even after we have purchased - keeps the car young!

I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.  My build was 11/19/2012.  All updates were trouble free (headliner recall, PCM update and 3.5.1 update) and I haven't had battery issues, MFT issues or  phone issues.

If you have read the reviews and know the issues with the EPA mileage ratings and that in "normal" real world driving you might not get the EPA rating, then I'd recommend the C-Max. 

Thanks, so much everyone! I did look up the build date for the two they got in to the dealership today, and they were both built after the dates of recall for the roof issue, and that makes sense that you couldn't sell it without a safety issue being fixed first, I just wasn't sure. One of the two is built prior to the date for the FE update, so would still need it but that is something the dealer can update if it hasn't been done already.

And yes I know about the EPA rating discrepancies people have reported but it doesn't concern me that much as it will still be better than most of the other cars I was looking at, and my current car.

I love my C-Max too. The only problem I've had is one of the racing stripes on the top of the car is starting to come loose. Not a big deal.

You should know going in that MyFord Touch SUCKS. It's still worth getting because it looks WAY better than the dash-o-buttons that it replaces. I think it's worth the $500 just for re-sell value purposes. Go in accepting that Sync and MyFord Touch is going to be glitchy, and it will be much less frustrating.

Other than that, it's a really fun car to drive. You can tell even the people (with some notable exceptions) that have had some serious issues seem to really enjoy the car otherwise.

I would certainly buy again, any C-Max purchased today will avoid the early adopters problems. As I am typing this my C-Max is at the dealer finishing up the FE and headliner updates. I don't see anything on the market right now that has the combination of utility, economy and performance the C-Max has.

I would, I will, and eventually I am. :)

Ours is still at the plant waiting for a ride to bring it home. I agree with the later the build date the better.

At this point, mine has all TSB's, updates, and etc. (that they know of, as of the day they built it). Since there is no changes for next model year, it will be almost like getting a  2014. Except I take a bigger hit on depreciation, which I am not worried about as we plan to keep it for a long time.

Funny, my wife and I had another "discussion" about my wanting a CMAX for myself. I ended up with "her" hybrid Escape and....

We also have an Escape hybrid. That is mostly how I knew I wanted the C max. Didn't even consider anything else, well looked at Fusion hybrid.