MPH discrepancy between gauge and Engineering Test Mode

bigalpha

• 2 weeks later...

bigalpha, have you checked your odometer for accuracy.  I like to use GPS and mileage markers over a larger distance (say at least 30 miles).   Most find the odometer reads less than the actual distance covered initially but as tires wear the error will decrease since one revolution of the tire will cover less distance as the tire wears.  

For example, assume that the multiplier used in computing the odometer reading uses 830 revolutions of the tire to cover one actual mile but the odometer might only show the car actually traveled 0.995 miles (1/2% less distance than actual).  As the tire is nearly worn out and the diameter of the tire has decreased, it might take 838 revolutions to cover one actual mile (about 1% more revolutions per mile) and the odometer will show that the car traveled about 1.05 miles (1/2% more distance than actual).  The net affect of the odometer error over the tire life will be about zero.

But when I checked my odometer over a longer distance initially, mine was showing about a 2% error.  I do run about 44 psi in my tires which could account for some of the error as the effective diameter is likely slightly larger than running recommended pressure.  So, my FE numbers are likely low by about 2% but will decrease as my tires wear.  

My speedometer jives with the radar signs and my GPS to less than 1 mph at virtually all speeds.  Since I don't normally run with the ETM enabled I've never bothered to check the speed in ETM.  However, when I've monitored and recorded speed via the OBDII port, the recorded speed (which I assume would be the same as the ETM speed) and gps speed were very close and the speedometer was about 1/2 - 1 mph too high at 70 mph.  Of course each measurement (GPS, speedometer, radar, ETM / OBDII port) has inherent measurement flaws but the 3 mph seems excessive.

I checked this again the other day and it looks like the speed between the gauge, the GPS speed from MFT and the ETM speed all jive fairly close.  I realize there will always be some variation between the numbers, but before it was a matter of about 3 mph, hence my concern.  At this point, though, it looks like that has been resolved.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics or have any recorded data from any of that.