Interstate Trip 8-12-2013

raymond963

The picture is a screen capture of a MS Excel graph of the interstate portion of my trip home from work yesterday. I use an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD Scanner with the Torque Pro Android App on my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone.

I set Eco-Cruise at the OBD reported speed (from the car's systems) of 65MPH. It doesn't seem odd that the speedometer needle was at 66MPH and the GPS showed about 64MPH; I've always noted this difference no matter what car I was driving. What does seem odd is that the C-Max's computer reports lower MPH than the needle shows on the speedometer.

I started collecting data at the beginning of the on-ramp to Interstate 74 at Mahomet, Illinois (Exit 274) at 2:43PM and ended with the data at the beginning of the off-ramp at Downs, Illinois (Exit 242) at 3:11PM.

The upper-most blue line is Engine RPM which I divided by 5 to get it into a more easily viewed range on the graph.

The graph shows it hovering mostly around 400, which would be approximately 2000RPM and peaking at about 610, which would be approximately 3050RPM.

The next darker blue line is my GPS bearing, which is generally around 300-degrees, or a WNW to NW direction of travel.

The light blue line is Wind Direction collected online from Weather Underground history data. Weather Underground didn't show very detailed wind direction data, but it was from the WSW, which was generally varying from the left and towards the front of the car depending on my direction of travel.

The purple line is my altitude in meters, which is also easier to view in the graph than in feet.

The red line is the OBD-reported speed, which varied a lot less than the GPS reported speed.

The green line is OBD-reported instant MPG. (Torque Pro has a 255MPG upper limit.) I only entered EV Mode three times while traveling at 65MPH, two of which were right after entering the Interstate and the third about 1/4 way into the trip, or just after the Mansfield, Illinois Exit #266.

The orange line is Wind Speed collected online from Weather Underground history data. It was 7-8MPH for the entire trip.

The numbers along the bottom are the data points, in beginning-to-end order; each is about 1/2 second apart.

The ambient temperature was steady at 79-80 for the entire trip.

Entering the interstate, the ramp goes downhill and transitions to a slight uphill at merging onto the interstate. Shortly after merging, there is a downhill, a steeper uphill, and another steeper downhill that levels off somewhat but maintains a general downhill for a while.

I began placing vertical brown lines to mark MPG transitions at the first instance of entering EV Mode. As you can see, the MPG tracks very closely with Engine RPM and Altitude.

Fuel Economy for this approximately 32 mile section of my commute home was 39MPG.

Torque doesn't have parameter information for HV battery level; I would have tracked that if it did.

08 12 13 Interstate Trip

39 mpg at 65 mph. Meh. I assume you got the update since you said you were in ev mode twice.

How many miles are you at?

12,265 miles as of the end of the above trip. I agree, 39 is pretty pathetic, but that was sticking to the speed limit with Eco Cruise on. I've been doing a little better than that, but not much. Still working on it...

Good report, but puzzling --  I drove her C-Max down I-75 to the hospital today, Eco-cruising @69 MPH and got a reported 43.5 MPG.  Took mixed highway/surface streets coming home and got 49 MPG -- and we have not done the PCM upgrade yet. They say the car's computer reports slightly higher fuel economy than you are actually getting.

Good report, but puzzling -- I drove her C-Max down I-75 to the hospital today, Eco-cruising @69 MPH and got a reported 43.5 MPG. Took mixed highway/surface streets coming home and got 49 MPG -- and we have not done the PCM upgrade yet. They say the car's computer reports slightly higher fuel economy than you are actually getting.

I'd be very happy with that. Yesterday was my update, and first oil change, so I'm looking forward to going on the interstate for a good stretch.

• 5 weeks later...

Torque doesn't have parameter information for HV battery level; I would have tracked that if it did.

Here are some PIDs for Torque:

Description                              Display               PID           Min         Max       Scale     Unit       Equation

HV Battery state of charge      SoC                     224801        0.0          100.0     x1          %           ((((A*256)+B)*(1/5))/100)

HV Battery temperature            HV Temp            224800        0.0          150.0     x1          DegF     ((A*18)-580)/100

HV Battery current in Amps     HV Amps             22480b      -200           200       x1          Amps     ((((Signed(A)*256)+B)/5)/10)*-1

HV Battery Voltage                   HV Volts             22480d        0.0          400.0     x1          Volts       (((A*256)+B)/100)

Temperature inside car           Inside Temp        22dd04         0.0          160.0     x1          DegF     ((A*18)-400)/10

See my post: http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/2757-obd2-%E2%80%93-elm-327-%E2%80%93-torque/?hl=obd2