Laggy/stuck Nav

My sync used to get entirely stuck/frozen, requiring a fuse pull to reboot.

After the 3.5.1 update, it's generally better. Not having trouble with audio, etc. But recently the GPS Nav system has become extremely laggy, sometimes getting stuck entirely, as if I'm still at that intersection a mile back. Meanwhile the radio station still changes easily. There was a day in which the system twice went black and then came up with the bs performing "scheduled" system maintenance screen. I haven't tried fuse pulling, in part because it didn't help when the Sync rebooted itself anyway. Has anyone experienced this new wrinkle in Sync suck?

Mine is a Sept 2012 build 2013 SEL.

Update: As it was going haywire again today, I messed with settings at a red light and discovered that I have Nav version 3.34.4. Yet I have the 3.5.1 update - for example, I have the screen where you can see the battery/ICE thing. I'm confused. Shouldn't Nav also be 3.5.1 or are they two different programs?

Update: As it was going haywire again today, I messed with settings at a red light and discovered that I have Nav version 3.34.4. Yet I have the 3.5.1 update - for example, I have the screen where you can see the battery/ICE thing. I'm confused. Shouldn't Nav also be 3.5.1 or are they two different programs?

Seems to me that they are two different version numbers.  When the dealer installed the 3.5.1 update, my map navigation software went to 3.34.4.  Now I just installed the 3.6.2 update and the map navigation software has gone up to 3.48.9.

Unfortunately, it still hasn't fixed the nav errors.  The icon showing where the car is lags about 50yards behind where the car really is.  Then if I take a turn, the nav thinks I've turned onto a road 50 yards behind the one I'm really on, and starts giving me directions to turn back onto the road I'm already on!  Seems to happen only if I'm driving over 40mph.

I found some other entries in the forums describing this problem, and some report the fix is to replace the GPSM antenna module (that's in the dashboard just behind the nav screen, not the little stick on the roof).  Here's one report: "Performed pinpoint test for concern found to have defective GPSM; Removed instrument panel installed GPSM and performed PMI. The part number is: CJ5Z*10E893*C”

There are references to some bad GPSM antennas in cars built from Nov 2012 to Jan 15, 2013.  Been asking service people at my dealer to do this "pinpoint test" (whatever that may be) and if faulty, then replace the GPSM.  Service tech referred me to his shop foreman.  Shop foreman referred me to his service department manager.  Service Department Manager tells me Ford won't authorize any work on a car "based on internet rumors".

What about working to fix a problem that this customer (and many others) are reporting?  What happened to Customer Satisfaction?  I looked up this part in the MotorCraft catalog and it costs $71.  Replacing it seems like a really cheap way to satisfy a customer that spent $30,000!

This was my first Ford for 20 years, looks like it will be my last too.

Edited by GrandadB

Don't give up!  The Ford Explorer forum has customer service links.  They are great.  I used them for my Explorer and I got quick and professional results.

Seems to me that they are two different version numbers.  When the dealer installed the 3.5.1 update, my map navigation software went to 3.34.4.  Now I just installed the 3.6.2 update and the map navigation software has gone up to 3.48.9.

Unfortunately, it still hasn't fixed the nav errors.  The icon showing where the car is lags about 50yards behind where the car really is.  Then if I take a turn, the nav thinks I've turned onto a road 50 yards behind the one I'm really on, and starts giving me directions to turn back onto the road I'm already on!  Seems to happen only if I'm driving over 40mph.

I found some other entries in the forums describing this problem, and some report the fix is to replace the GPSM antenna module (that's in the dashboard just behind the nav screen, not the little stick on the roof).  Here's one report: "Performed pinpoint test for concern found to have defective GPSM; Removed instrument panel installed GPSM and performed PMI. The part number is: CJ5Z*10E893*C”

There are references to some bad GPSM antennas in cars built from Nov 2012 to Jan 15, 2013.  Been asking service people at my dealer to do this "pinpoint test" (whatever that may be) and if faulty, then replace the GPSM.  Service tech referred me to his shop foreman.  Shop foreman referred me to his service department manager.  Service Department Manager tells me Ford won't authorize any work on a car "based on internet rumors".

What about working to fix a problem that this customer (and many others) are reporting?  What happened to Customer Satisfaction?  I looked up this part in the MotorCraft catalog and it costs $71.  Replacing it seems like a really cheap way to satisfy a customer that spent $30,000!

This was my first Ford for 20 years, looks like it will be my last too.

My sync used to get entirely stuck/frozen, requiring a fuse pull to reboot.

After the 3.5.1 update, it's generally better. Not having trouble with audio, etc. But recently the GPS Nav system has become extremely laggy, sometimes getting stuck entirely, as if I'm still at that intersection a mile back. Meanwhile the radio station still changes easily. There was a day in which the system twice went black and then came up with the bs performing "scheduled" system maintenance screen. I haven't tried fuse pulling, in part because it didn't help when the Sync rebooted itself anyway. Has anyone experienced this new wrinkle in Sync suck?

Mine is a Sept 2012 build 2013 SEL.

Your car was built in 2012 so it probably has a bad module.

I did a forum search for "GPSM" lots of good info.

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Did you see this thread?

http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/1664-who-has-313-nav-and-it-works-properly/?hl=gpsm#entry14997

wab

Thanks for the info. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning and have told the service dept that it may be a defective GPSM module. Hopefully they have one in stock or can order it today just in case because of the heads up. Taking a long car trip next weekend and it would be nice to have this fixed before then.

Wish we could depend on our GPS.

Ours has failed 6 :nonono: times.

We made an appointment to have it fixed but it did a "scheduled maintenance" the day before the service date, got the power train upgrade instead.

It failed in Colorado last week on a vacation, we had our backup :headspin:  hand held.

It did a "scheduled maintenance" :lol:  yesterday.

Anybody know how to force a "scheduled maintenance"?

I think I'll start a new thread for this.

A Master Reset does not help, it usually does a "scheduled maintenance" after about 6 start/stop cycles.... not this time, it was probably a dozen.

So I took it in yesterday. They replaced the GPSM module (thank you GrandadB and Wab for flagging that, as I asked them to order it on Monday, so it was in stock already and they didn't have to keep it overnight). They also did the MPG-improving software upgrade.

I did a 100 mile drive today with multiple stops, and the GPS worked perfectly. Yay!

On an off topic note, I averaged about 41.5 mpg on the trip, which was about 80 percent highway. Had air conditioning on. That seemed a bit better than before. Certainly it was noticeable that it could now toggle into EV mode at normal highway speeds of 70-75 mph.

I have  600 mile trip coming up this weekend, so it was good to get both things done.

Wab, sounds like you should do the same. the "scheduled maintenance" screen is just its attempt to reboot itself when it detects that it is having troubles (which it rarely is able to detect) and isn't really fixing anything, as far as I can tell. (how nuts is it to have a car with so much computer stuff going on, but no physical button to force a reboot? any computer OS gets frozen from time to time. especially a Microsoft one.)