Help Needed - Sirius Radio vs. SiriusXM Radio?

Greetings!

I just took possession of a 2013 C-MAX SEL two weeks ago and I love everything about it - except for a bit of bait-and-switch that Ford seems to be engaging in. Has anyone had this problem:

In the 2013 C-MAX catalog, the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free six-month subscription.

In the dealer's SourceBook (shown to me by the dealer), the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free subscription.

On the Ford website, the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free six-month subscription.

The radio I received is only a Sirius radio. No XM.

Which means that three of my family's favorite stations (KISS LA, ZOO NY and LITE NY) are not available. At all. No matter which package we have.

Does it not seem like bait-and-switch when Ford advertises SiriusXM and gives you Sirius? The two are separate, distinct products. With specific capabilities. I want my SiriusXM radio. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

RickW

Technically, SiriusXM is the company and overarching brand, and they have a Sirius and an XM division.  So if a receiver receives Sirius or XM, it's a SiriusXM radio.

I get what you're saying about advertising SiriusXM but getting Sirius.  If the receiver in the car only had XM (like mine, but mine is aftermarket), others could say it was bait-and-switch to advertise SiriusXM but only give you XM.  It's sad that they met the letter rather than the intent of the FCC mandate to have dual-band-capable receivers (they only ever made one).

Bottom line, they should've clarified which technology they were offering, because either way someone will be able to complain.  But, from what I've heard, the built-in one has a really poor sound quality anyway, so I'd just go get an aftermarket one. It won't be integrated, but to me that's a small price to pay for good sound and programming.

Greetings!

I just took possession of a 2013 C-MAX SEL two weeks ago and I love everything about it - except for a bit of bait-and-switch that Ford seems to be engaging in. Has anyone had this problem:

In the 2013 C-MAX catalog, the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free six-month subscription.

In the dealer's SourceBook (shown to me by the dealer), the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free subscription.

On the Ford website, the promised technology is a SiriusXM radio, with a free six-month subscription.

The radio I received is only a Sirius radio. No XM.

Which means that three of my family's favorite stations (KISS LA, ZOO NY and LITE NY) are not available. At all. No matter which package we have.

Does it not seem like bait-and-switch when Ford advertises SiriusXM and gives you Sirius? The two are separate, distinct products. With specific capabilities. I want my SiriusXM radio. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

RickW

Our Sony system is listed as a SiriusXM System. I'd never heard of those 3 stations till now.

"except for a bit of bait-and-switch that Ford seems to be engaging in."

This is in the "SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO FAQ"

from this link at Ford.com 

Looks like it's been available since 2011.

http://www.ford.com/sirius-flm/radio/

"Can I get XM channels on my SIRIUS Satellite Radio-equipped Ford, Lincoln or Mercury vehicle?1, 2 Yes. New for 2011 vehicles, you may add The Best of XM package to the remainder of your six-month SIRIUS Satellite Radio trial subscription - at absolutely no cost to you. Add The Best of XM package and get Oprah Radio®, basketball and hockey games, Opie & Anthony, college sports, XM Public Radio® with Bob Edwards and more."

Edited by wab

New for 2011 vehicles, you may add The Best of XM package to the remainder of your six-month SIRIUS Satellite Radio trial subscription - at absolutely no cost to you. Add The Best of XM package and get Oprah Radio®, basketball and hockey games, Opie & Anthony, college sports, XM Public Radio® with Bob Edwards and more."

I'm pretty sure the Best of XM package does not include the stations the OP was looking for.  These are Clear Channel stations that are part of some legal deal with XM that dates back to when Clear Channel was an original investor in XM.  They control a small amount of XM bandwidth which they use for several terrestrial stations, Talk Radio, a country station, and a retro-rock music channel. The music channels, unlike other SiriusXM music channels, carry ads.  I wish I could get Talk Radio on my C-Max MFT, but it doesn't appear to be possible because it's a Clear Channel product.

None of these stations are available on Sirius' satellites because they don't have the same obligation to Clear Channel.  The good news is that if you have a smartphone, you can find all of those terrestrial stations, as well as much of the other programming, on Clear Channel's I Heart Radio app. 

Edited by mlaurence