Where to start here?

Jon

Howdy...first post here. 

Purchased C-Max SEL in January of 2013. 

About 6300 miles so far. Drive about 40 miles round trip, 4 -5 days per week to work. That commute is about 30 miles surface streets and 10 miles freeway.  Less miles on the weekends with shorter, more frequent errand trips.

Current mileage 49.5 MPG, down from 49.9 MPG before the hot, SoCal months. 

Purchased Ford Prem. Maint. Plan at 7,500 mile intervals. 

What I love: * Great mileage (though trending the wrong way), * SUPER Cabin/Headroom for me, the driver, and nice passenger cabin room, too. These are main reasons I bought the car. Both are important to me.

Concerns: * National Roof Recall, * Computer updates (clock won't keep time!), * Ford Dealer Service (first Ford ever), * is AC working properly? At 67 degrees, 3 or 4 bars AC power this car is still HOT SoCal summer. 

So....where's the best place to start to address the concerns?

Might computer updates make it easier to maintain good mileage and stop downward trend in summer months?

Thanks a lot, and best regards,

Jon

**Edit** a little more after reading other introductions...this is my first American Car ever. Toyota and Honda prior. Six, to be exact. 

What swayed me, AGAIN, was good mileage, smaller car but with awesome cabin/head room. Can not be stated enough. Every Japanese car I owned did not have adequate head/cabin room. That confined/claustrophobic feeling has gotten more pronounced and important in recent years. For example, I get in my wife's Honda Pilot (my car prior) and I'm not a happy camper.  

In the past, dealership loyalty was not a problem. Never used the dealer for any of my Japanese cars.

However, this time around, I did something unprecedented...I purchased the Premium Maintenance plan because I was concerned about all of the electronics and battery. So this first drop-off to a dealer for * 7500 mile maintenance, * Roof Recall, *Software updates, and * AC inspection has me worried. After a few phone calls to dealers close to me I'm not getting the Warm and Fuzzies. 

Edited by Jon

Hi and welcome.

You can search for each of those topics, and find discussions about them.

You can enter your vin here. http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

It will tell you if your car has any field service actions(FSA). They will be in a pink box on the left after entering vin. If there is any, armed with those numbers, contact your dealer to get them done.

Hi and welcome.

You can search for each of those topics, and find discussions about them.

You can enter your vin here. http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

It will tell you if your car has any field service actions(FSA). They will be in a pink box on the left after entering vin. If there is any, armed with those numbers, contact your dealer to get them done.

Thanks, slampro.

Are these the FSA's you're inquiring about? 13A01,  13V-303 and 13B07.

Thanks, slampro.

Are these the FSA's you're inquiring about? 13A01,  13V-303 and 13B07.

I think so yeah. Our car was just built last month and we just got it last week. So I am not certain which applies to what. There is a lot of information about them on this forum.

I think so yeah. Our car was just built last month and we just got it last week. So I am not certain which applies to what. There is a lot of information about them on this forum.

Those are mine from Ford. The one in the middle is the Roof recall.

I would bring the car in for a look at the air conditioner.  I live in South Florida.  It is over 91F all day, more like 95 many days of the summer.  I leave my car parked in the summer sun about five days a week.  (However, I do have tinting.)  I run A/C 24/7 while driving.  I set at 73F with Recirculate (do not use Auto!) and with the fan usually running a four bars, and my C-MAX cools nicely.  Trust me, I am an air-conditioner-aholic.  So, I would not say this unless it were like this for me.

Also, you have Oxford White, which is the best color for the heat.  So, other than maybe needing tinting, you should not be having problems with keeping cool.

Do not use Auto for A/C.  When you use Auto, once the interior cools down, you draw in hot air from outside.  This is why you need to always run Recirculate, not Auto.  Could this be contributing to your issue?

I recognize that you may live in the desert, but there are members here from Arizona, Texas and Florida that seem to be okay with how the A/C is working.  (Well, there was the thread about the noise, which turned out to be normal function.  So, I won't count that issue.)  So, if you are having issues staying cool, you should get the air conditioner checked out.

Welcome aboard.  You are getting great fuel numbers.  Nice!

I would bring the car in for a look at the air conditioner.  I live in South Florida.  It is over 91F all day, more like 95 many days of the summer.  I leave my car parked in the summer sun about five days a week.  (However, I do have tinting.)  I run A/C 24/7 while driving.  I set at 73F with Recirculate (do not use Auto!) and with the fan usually running a four bars, and my C-MAX cools nicely.  Trust me, I am an air-conditioner-aholic.  So, I would not say this unless it were like this for me.

Also, you have Oxford White, which is the best color for the heat.  So, other than maybe needing tinting, you should not be having problems with keeping cool.

Do not use Auto for A/C.  When you use Auto, once the interior cools down, you draw in hot air from outside.  This is why you need to always run Recirculate, not Auto.  Could this be contributing to your issue?

I recognize that you may live in the desert, but there are members here from Arizona, Texas and Florida that seem to be okay with how the A/C is working.  (Well, there was the thread about the noise, which turned out to be normal function.  So, I won't count that issue.)  So, if you are having issues staying cool, you should get the air conditioner checked out.

Thanks much. Indeed, I'm having BIG problems keeping cool. Each time I get in the car I NEED to hit the recirculate button. Wish/Is there was a way to keep it activated, rather then having to hit the button each time? I don't hit the Auto button. 

I agree to get it checked out.

But....On my Escape hybrid I have always used auto, set about 72-76 degrees in the summer, with the recirculate button on. In the C max, I have had it set at auto 73 degrees. I push the recirculate button on. In neither car have I had hot outside air blow in. The a/c fan does slow down after the car is cooled, and the temp of the air does change some, but I have not had hot air blow on me. I am not an a/c addict, but I have been perfectly comfortable. We have the pano roof, and just got the windows tinted today.

I agree to get it checked out.

But....On my Escape hybrid I have always used auto, set about 72-76 degrees in the summer, with the recirculate button on. In the C max, I have had it set at auto 73 degrees. I push the recirculate button on. In neither car have I had hot outside air blow in. The a/c fan does slow down after the car is cooled, and the temp of the air does change some, but I have not had hot air blow on me. I am not an a/c addict, but I have been perfectly comfortable. We have the pano roof, and just got the windows tinted today.

I need to get it checked out. I do not have window tinting, but still...at 67 degrees, 3 and 4 bars, with recirculating air, I'm still uncomfortable and that's not good. When I put my hand next to a vent it's somewhat cool, but probably not cool enough.  The cabin is large, and there's a lot of glass, but still...

1) welcome to the forum !!!

2) get the car tinted in all windows. how a lot.

3) keep a sun shade up in that HUGE CMax window in the front when parked outside to keep cool.

4) put the Windows down (use that auto down cool feature you have on your 303) to let out the heat after being parked in the sun, then run it on max ac for a bit with Windows up to get the cabin temp down to about 75-80 then go to recurc as others have said.

5) check it out at dealer

good mpg for a new owner. keep it up. enjoy the car.

and be sure to sign up on fuelly.com to track your mpgs.

Thanks much. Indeed, I'm having BIG problems keeping cool. Each time I get in the car I NEED to hit the recirculate button. Wish/Is there was a way to keep it activated, rather then having to hit the button each time? I don't hit the Auto button. 

for those that don't know..

Auto means it's taking only HOT outside air and cooling it to bring it in which means it's working harder and using more gas. since its a never ending battle to keep the hot air cool, it never can achieve the temps you want especially if it's very humid outside. turn on auto every so often to get SOME fresh air and get rid of the carbon dioxide in the cabin from expelled air in your lungs but then go back to recirc as stated below.

Recirc means it's only taking the already cooled down air in the cabin and cooling it so it's working less and using less gas and getting cooler faster.

Edited by salsaguy

Jon, I am in Phoenix and have been running A/C on either Auto setting around 74-76 degrees for most of summer, using outside air rather than recirculate setting.

Only complaint is that Auto slows fan down too much and I kick it up a notch just to get more air movement, makes it more comfortable.  when "better half" is with me, make that 2-3 notches up. No problems through all the 110 + temps.

Have your A/C checked out, no way you should have that behavior.  Good luck

Jon, I am in Phoenix and have been running A/C on either Auto setting around 74-76 degrees for most of summer, using outside air rather than recirculate setting.

Only complaint is that Auto slows fan down too much and I kick it up a notch just to get more air movement, makes it more comfortable.  when "better half" is with me, make that 2-3 notches up. No problems through all the 110 + temps.

Have your A/C checked out, no way you should have that behavior.  Good luck

Why not just use Auto and lower the temp?  Especially w/ the FE update, it seems to decrease compressor usage and increase fan usage compared to before.

Hello All

New to the Cmax and to forums. Live in central Missouri and just purchased a brand new ruby red Cmax sel for my wife, we traded in a 2009 ford flex limited and loved that car but since her new job has a commute of a 70 mile round trip mostly hwy the flex was only getting about 22mpg. when I started looking into new cars i do it differently than most, I test fit them first as i am 6'5 but only have a 32" inseam so i need head room oh and im a big boy at 325lbs

i drove every hybrid out there and being a conservative even a priusv

i wanted the fusion but could not get in the back seat, back seat you say i also have 3 kids at home 16 that is 6'5"

a 14 at 6' and my daughter 11 that is taller than mom already. now you under stand the test fit

the flex was awsome with 3rd row seating but out of the 20k miles she drives we are all in the car only about 1k a year

I saw the c max and wow it looks small from the outside but the inside is so much like the flex and that sold my wife, the kids have to learn how to sit together again but at least i can reach them from the drivers seat easier lol

Now for my questions

We havnt had to fill up yet so no report  on mpg other than each trip says about 38mpg 

Since the dealer didnt know to much i was wondering since the born on date say 7/13 will this car already have the software update?

thanks and sorry for any bad punctuations and spelling

chris

"Since the dealer didnt know to much i was wondering since the born on date say 7/13 will this car already have the software update?"

Yes, according to the 13B07 bulletin since it was built after July 8, 2013:

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07

Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles

Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect through August 31, 2014. There is no mileage limit for this program.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Assembly Plant Year and Model Build Dates

Michigan Assembly Plant 2013 C-MAX Job #1 through July 8, 2013

Hello All

New to the Cmax and to forums. 

Hello Chris and Welcome.  :happy feet:

Speaking of welcomes and being new to forums, why don't you copy/paste your message and add it to the Welcome forum.  Lots more folks will see it and many will want to say "Hi".   We're a friendly bunch.

"Since the dealer didnt know to much i was wondering since the born on date say 7/13 will this car already have the software update?"

Yes, according to the 13B07 bulletin since it was built after July 8, 2013:

SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 13B07

Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX, Fusion, and MKZ Hybrid Vehicles

Fuel Economy Improvement - Powertrain Control Module Calibration

PROGRAM TERMS

This program will be in effect through August 31, 2014. There is no mileage limit for this program.

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Assembly Plant Year and Model Build Dates

Michigan Assembly Plant 2013 C-MAX Job #1 through July 8, 2013

ceemax71

hello from a new missouri cmax owner as of aug 28th 

she was born on july 11th and her name is ruby, what part of Big Mo are you from? I'm from Sedalia

Hello Chris and Welcome.  :happy feet:

Speaking of welcomes and being new to forums, why don't you copy/paste your message and add it to the Welcome forum.  Lots more folks will see it and many will want to say "Hi".   We're a friendly bunch.

Thanks for the welcome, fotomoto. 

Edited by Jon

• 3 weeks later...

To those who might be interested, my first trip to the dealership went very well. Roof liner was installed just fine which makes the roof feel more substantial and secure. Software updates went well (clock seems to be keeping time after a couple weeks now), 7500 mile service was done and my AC checked out okay. As some of you had already recommended (and what the dealer confirmed): when it's really hot push "Auto" AC first (using outside air) and only after several minutes, as the car cools down a bit and the fan slows down, then push the recirculate air button.

Howdy...first post here. 

Purchased C-Max SEL in January of 2013. 

About 6300 miles so far. Drive about 40 miles round trip, 4 -5 days per week to work. That commute is about 30 miles surface streets and 10 miles freeway.  Less miles on the weekends with shorter, more frequent errand trips.

Current mileage 49.5 MPG, down from 49.9 MPG before the hot, SoCal months. 

Purchased Ford Prem. Maint. Plan at 7,500 mile intervals. 

What I love: * Great mileage (though trending the wrong way), * SUPER Cabin/Headroom for me, the driver, and nice passenger cabin room, too. These are main reasons I bought the car. Both are important to me.

Concerns: * National Roof Recall, * Computer updates (clock won't keep time!), * Ford Dealer Service (first Ford ever), * is AC working properly? At 67 degrees, 3 or 4 bars AC power this car is still HOT SoCal summer. 

So....where's the best place to start to address the concerns?

Might computer updates make it easier to maintain good mileage and stop downward trend in summer months?

Thanks a lot, and best regards,

Jon

**Edit** a little more after reading other introductions...this is my first American Car ever. Toyota and Honda prior. Six, to be exact. 

What swayed me, AGAIN, was good mileage, smaller car but with awesome cabin/head room. Can not be stated enough. Every Japanese car I owned did not have adequate head/cabin room. That confined/claustrophobic feeling has gotten more pronounced and important in recent years. For example, I get in my wife's Honda Pilot (my car prior) and I'm not a happy camper.  

In the past, dealership loyalty was not a problem. Never used the dealer for any of my Japanese cars.

However, this time around, I did something unprecedented...I purchased the Premium Maintenance plan because I was concerned about all of the electronics and battery. So this first drop-off to a dealer for * 7500 mile maintenance, * Roof Recall, *Software updates, and * AC inspection has me worried. After a few phone calls to dealers close to me I'm not getting the Warm and Fuzzies. 

for those that don't know..

Auto means it's taking only HOT outside air and cooling it to bring it in which means it's working harder and using more gas. since its a never ending battle to keep the hot air cool, it never can achieve the temps you want especially if it's very humid outside. turn on auto every so often to get SOME fresh air and get rid of the carbon dioxide in the cabin from expelled air in your lungs but then go back to recirc as stated below.

Recirc means it's only taking the already cooled down air in the cabin and cooling it so it's working less and using less gas and getting cooler faster.

Along with all the emissions we might be breathing from those vents in the back of the car for the Battery Pack for cooling ;)