Happy Labor Day Everyone!!!

Adair

I won't be on very much tomorrow or for the next few days. I'll be *laboring* canning and freezing goodies from our garden....green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, apples, Making canned green beans, tomato sauce, 2 kinds of pickles, cinnamon apples, apple sauce, and apple butter.

Hope all y'all have a great day!!

Oohhhh, never heard of those Laurel! Ours are an unknown variety of dwarf apples that have been here as long as we have......20 + years. They have always produces crappy little apples that were ankle twisters if you stepped on them, and too small and wormy to do anything with..............until this year! 2 large branches have broken from the weight of the apples. Jerry has picked many 5 gal. buckets of them and we have given many away. We were looking today and there are still hundreds on the 2 trees. We bought an apple peeler to help with the drudgery. But dang!!! that applesauce is good. And so are the cinnamon apples. This will be a first for apple butter, altho I remember eating it as a child. 7 qts of beans in the canner now, and I'm getting ready to slice some more.

I love apple butter.  It is quite hard to find it in Canada--yet it is hugely popular in the States.  I have never made it but maybe I will try this Fall as it is so good.  I once made kosher dill pickles with my Jewish neighbour.  She and I had never made pickles before so it was a fool's mission.  We picked our cucumbers and for whatever reason we decided to make 100 quarts each.  They were just awful!!  And seemingly we had followed her mom's recipe.  We laughed down the road, but were devastated with our disaster.  They all looked so pretty too.LOL

Tomorrow, I think I'll head to the gym and hit 1 1/2 hrs of the elliptical machine...gotta lose some fat. Even today's sauna on the golf course did me some good, I think. I am still alive and typing.

Yeah, stay safe "y'all"....that sounds so weird coming out of me.... :bee:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Adair I was just looking up apple butter recipes and it looks like a slow cooker/crock pot is used.  Is that what you use?  Thanks.

HAHAHA....My canning recipe book is so old, I don't think slow cookers had been invented yet! This is the first time I've made it, so I'll look online. What a great idea!!

I've heard there are people taking an interest in cultivating apple varieties that have appealing properties, but have not been commonly cultivated because they're not commercially viable (usually because of cosmetic damage from shipping). Sounds like an interesting hobby if you're interested in apples. 

Probably non-GMO apples.

Actually, we were considering chopping these down until this year. All they did was make a mess, too small to do anything with, buggy, ankle rollers.

Speaking of *not commonly cultivated because not commercially viable.......* if you like tomatoes, read the book *Tomatoland* by Barry Estabrook. But not as casual reading, because it will make you angry!

Funny that everyone is spending the day cooking.  I am taking a break before going back to start the next shift in the kitchen.  Spent the last couple of days shopping and cooking, getting ready for Maxie's first road trip--ten days to western North Carolina mountain country.

Speaking of apples, today's agenda is to bake four almond butter-apple-raisin pies with a peanut butter-date crust--after this little break.

Be safe, everybody. 

Funny that everyone is spending the day cooking.  I am taking a break before going back to start the next shift in the kitchen.  Spent the last couple of days shopping and cooking, getting ready for Maxie's first road trip--ten days to western North Carolina mountain country.

Speaking of apples, today's agenda is to bake four almond butter-apple-raisin pies with a peanut butter-date crust--after this little break.

Be safe, everybody. 

Whaaaaa? Recipe, please!!!

Probably non-GMO apples.

There are no commercially cultivated GMO apples. The first two species (designed to not turn brown) are seeking regulatory approval.

I think the timeline for investigating and developing a species of fruit tree is just so much slower than a grain crop that it hasn't been attractive for development.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Adair I was just looking up apple butter recipes and it looks like a slow cooker/crock pot is used.  Is that what you use?  Thanks.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/all-day-apple-butter/

I added 1/4 t of nutmeg and 1 cup apple cider. It was a super easy recipe and my house smelled divine all day!!! If you don't get to make any this year, PM me your address and I'll send you a jar. We're gonna make another batch.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/all-day-apple-butter/

I added 1/4 t of nutmeg and 1 cup apple cider. It was a super easy recipe and my house smelled divine all day!!! If you don't get to make any this year, PM me your address and I'll send you a jar. We're gonna make another batch.

Thanks for that recipe Adair.  I can buy "horse" apples by the box here for about $4.  Many varieties available of bruised apples which would be perfect for your recipe.  I have a dutch oven by Kitchen Aid that is very heavy so perhaps that will work as my slow cooker. 

Thanks for the offer of sending a jar of apple butter.  You are more of an optimist than me.  Once we sent for a wee part for our fridge from Florida and it seemed to go missing.  Canada Post put a trace on it and found it and sent it to us.  We burst out laughing as they had repackaged it, but the original package had tire tracks on it and the part was squished flat.  It was very comical that they even bothered to send it and show the public what can happen to goods in the postal system.LOL

Edited by Laurel

Once we sent for a wee part for our fridge from Florida and it seemed to go missing.  Canada Post put a trace on it and found it and sent it to us.  We burst out laughing as they had repackaged it, but the original package had tire tracks on it and the part was squished flat.  It was very comical that they even bothered to send it and show the public what can happen to goods in the postal system.LOL

I ship everything I can via the US Postal Service, and have never had anything damaged or go missing. Lots of computer parts in that mix. 

Where are you going in NC SDM?

I am so sorry for not having a chance to respond before. I was cooking all the way up to 6:30 AM on the day of departure.

I am in Maggie Valley. We have already been to Rufus Morgan Falls, Joyce Kilmer Memorial Trail, and kayaking on the Little Tennessee River. I'll upload some pics ASAP.

I spotted a gray C-MAX near Sylva, when we were on our way from Maggie Valley to Otto, today. Anybody we know?