Frustrated - Having Mileage Weirdness After Update

asb

My first tank after the update was GREAT.  More mileage, better average of mpg, etc.

Second tank was not as great.  But I thought it was due to the two hours I spent in a traffic jam not moving much.  That's a mileage killer.  But I did get 496 miles on that tank.

Third tank - WTH?  I can't get past 40.0 mpg.  It's the same temperature outside.  I'm running the AC the same way.  Same gas station.  Driving the same way.  I'm stumped.  Perhaps my mileage will suddenly jump up this week...??

I just took a drive to the vet with the dog.  Here's what's happening - the car doesn't go into EV mode easily.  So it's running on ICE most of the time.  And in ICE, I'm rarely getting close to 40 mpgs.  Battery is generally around 50 to 75% full.

Can we make this the "complain about the MPG update" thread?

I've been pretty disappointed with it, too.  I've only had it for half a tank, but my MPG has gone down a little (1-2 MPG).  I have two main routes to work (one more city, one more highway), so 4 different legs (two routes, there and back), and I have measured 2 of the 4 legs at lower MPG than before the update (one is around -5 MPG, mostly highway).  The other two legs are about the same as before.

In addition, I swear the AC is not as cold as it was, though I suppose that could all be in my head.  Don't really like the way the engine feels now, either (the higher rev).

Sigh.  I wish I could just go back to my pre-update c-max. 

I just got mine out back from the dealer.  They did all of the upgrades, recalls, whatever, and rotated my tires.  I had less than half a tank with really bad mileage going, so that tank just didn't do well.  But I filled up today.  First fill up after upgrades and recalls.  I barely got 40 mpg average on the way home.  I should be at least 46!  I have kept every fill up receipt with mileage written down, so if this doesn't straighten out SOON, I will be back at Ford.    Not happy.

And, and, YES, Brazen, my air temp is not as cold.  Although I've noticed this for a couple of weeks.  We rented a Dodge Charger for a week (and it sure was FUN) and the air in there would freeze your, um, legs off.

Frustrated today.

I've been getting a few more MPG as advertised... I think it meshes well with my commute terrain, speed patterns, etc.... It seems to be staying in EV pretty well, and I benefit from the stretches of my commute where I can go over 63mph without it jumping to ICE. It's been good for me. 

Realize also that you've lost your EV+ destinations. They'll kick back in after a few more Start/Stop cycles and that helps (me at least). 

Edited by JimInSeattle

I agree with Brazen. When the engine needs to start, (sometimes between 20-30 mph )and you push a little harder on the accelerator the engine seems to be higher rpm's This is quite noticable and annoying. Before the update the rpm's were much lower and the car was therefore quieter. The service manager at the dealer I dealt with called some Ford hotline where an engineer told him that nothing was wrong. It's definitely not the same. Also I believe the gas milage is now overstated. Before the update it was a little understated.

I EXPERIENCED THE SAME RESULT AFTER 13B09, THIS CONTINUES FOR TWO WEEKS AFTER THE INSTALL, THEN SUDDENLY THE MILEAGE ON SHORT TRIPS(2-5 MILES), SUDDENLY INPROVED TO 40 MPG PLUS INCLUDING SOME TRIPS AT 55MPG. I WAS TOLD THAT THE DESTIMATIONS, MAINTAINED EVERY TIME THE KEY IS TURNED OFF, IS CLEARED DURING THE 13B07 RECALL INSTALLATION, AND THE EV SYSTEM HAS TO RELEARN YOUR ALL DRIVING DESTINATIONS. THAT WOULD EXPLAIN MY EXPERIENCE.

I just took a drive to the vet with the dog.  Here's what's happening - the car doesn't go into EV mode easily.  So it's running on ICE most of the time.  And in ICE, I'm rarely getting close to 40 mpgs.  Battery is generally around 50 to 75% full.

Anthony, I think we're talking about two different things.  You can reset your EV+ locations by turning your car on and off 11 times while parked at the destination.  I was talking about how ICE was running longer than normal and not switching over to EV as the car used to.

Read my next post for more info.

After two tanks that tanked - barely making it to 42 average for the tank, I filled up at a different gas station.  I ended up having to make a surprise trip this afternoon that I wasn't expecting to make.  I was on the 'red,' so I filled up at a different gas station and changed my highway driving tactics a bit.  The result was 73 miles at 48.7 mpg.  I was at 49.2, but lost a few mpgs driving on a stretch of road where I always do poorly.  

Definitely, the engine runs longer.  I have noticed that the AC isn't quite as cold, but to be honest, the heat here is so awful right now, I can't tell if that's due to the upgrade, or just the fact that this summer sucks.

I've also been a little concerned at the high pitch whine.  It was there before, but not as loud.  However, it seems to be part of the adjustments made by the update, so I'm assuming it's "normal."

My first tank after the update was GREAT.  More mileage, better average of mpg, etc.

Second tank was not as great.  But I thought it was due to the two hours I spent in a traffic jam not moving much.  That's a mileage killer.  But I did get 496 miles on that tank.

Third tank - WTH?  I can't get past 40.0 mpg.  It's the same temperature outside.  I'm running the AC the same way.  Same gas station.  Driving the same way.  I'm stumped.  Perhaps my mileage will suddenly jump up this week...??

Hang in there give the computer time to settle in with the update.  Maxus was the same way for the first tank or 3.  Now it is more consistent and staying between 41.3 to 44.5 with my regular city commute.  After the upgrade it seems my AvMPG stays in that range pretty much of the time.  When I shut down after driving for awhile, my trip1 screen has been as high as 53mpg.  You should settle down in time, at least mine did.

Edited by mtb9153

Engine seems to be running longer, ac is having to be set to a lower temp, even tho it's cooler outside, & we're hearing a high pitched whine that we've never heard before.

is the noise mostly when you first start up?  Mine does this at first and goes away after up to temp.  Sort of a buzzing sound I hear with the start on a cold engine.

I am getting much better mileage - averaging over 48 on my latest tank - and am not hearing anything different from before.  The update allows for P&G at higher speeds and it has improved my highway mileage significantly.  When traffic is variable due to congestion it is not unusual to get over 50 for a trip.  

The thing with the CMax is you need to apply driving technique to achieve the mileage. I am employing what I have termed aggressive P&G.  I'll accelerate faster than the traffic in front of me as the pulse and then glide down to their speed.  If I were to graph my speed it does oscillate a bit but I wouldn't consider it extreme.  I have found the technique effective for MPG while keeping up or exceeding average traffic speed.  

The reality is if you don't apply some driving technique you won't get as good mileage.  If I drive without any regard to the instrumentation and allow traffic to dictate I'll take a hit of at least 5 MPG.  

The question to ask is could Ford implement an algorithm to provide more consistent MPG without the need to consciously monitor instrumentation and apply technique?  My assessment, not with the current design and architecture of the CMax.  Ford has chosen to trade off this potential consistency by providing more power to the engines - both EV and ICE - and adopting a design that provides more comfort versus aerodynamics.  Unlike the Toyota Prius which balances the two EV motors and ICE in an optimal configuration for consistent MPG (but trades off acceleration and comfort) Ford relies on EV mode at high speeds to boost the mileage.  Getting into EV mode consistently requires manual intervention.

This situation doesn't bother me as now that I've learned a technique it has become second nature.  I also appreciate the ability to accelerate if I need to and enjoy the visibility and comfort of the CMax.  I am sure Ford will continue to refine the design in future cars.

You guys need to allow the computer to reacilmate to your driving style. The updates clear the computer. The computer must relearn your EV destinations (as already mentioned), but also your driving style to optimize things.

When the car was new, the engine would always start at a relatively high RPM. As you put more miles on the car, the computer allows the engine to start with the transmission in a taller ratio. This taller ratio is quieter and smoother, but lower power. Over time, the computer will relearn your driving technique and should reintroduce the higher transmission start ratio.

Matt