This is why my FE sucks for half of my commute...

bigalpha

Yeah, I assumed that my commute essentially balanced out to zero (at least until the 50 mile mark);  I was sadly mistaken.  I get 33-35mpg on the way there, and 45+ on the way back.  The car shows around 40mpg (+/- 2).  

One day if I get a job closer to home, I will be able to fill up once every week or two instead of every 2 or 3 days.

Edited by bigalpha

Yeah, I assumed that my commute essentially balanced out to zero (at least until the 50 mile mark);  I was sadly mistaken.  I get 33-35mpg on the way there, and 45+ on the way back.  The car shows around 40mpg (+/- 2).  

One day if I get a job closer to home, I will be able to fill up once every week or two instead of every 2 or 3 days.

Thats is surprising you only get 45 MPG on the way down, you have 40 miles of downslope...what am I not seeing? Freeway right? You should be all EV from 4200ft back down to 2503. Also, you must be climbing the mountain at 65mph to get those low 30s MPG? Man - that is a brutal climb...perhaps a diesel may be the next car, no hybrid is going to save you from the mountain..well, may be a Tesla.

Well, the elevation change occurs over quite a distance (~75miles) so it's pretty gradual.  The vast majority of my drive is highway/interstate (65 on highway, 75 on interstate).  The first couple of miles in in-town driving and the last couple of miles is literally on the side of a mountain.

Yes, if we keep our current jobs for a long time, we might have to transition into a diesel.  When does someone release a diesel hybrid?  Seems the best of both worlds...

Well, the elevation change occurs over quite a distance (~75miles) so it's pretty gradual.  The vast majority of my drive is highway/interstate (65 on highway, 75 on interstate).  The first couple of miles in in-town driving and the last couple of miles is literally on the side of a mountain.

Yes, if we keep our current jobs for a long time, we might have to transition into a diesel.  When does someone release a diesel hybrid?  Seems the best of both worlds...

I thought one was coming out real soon...vw or something? someone will post it up...I thought I saw something on one of those green car sites, but I am not a green nutz. Not yet anyway.  Out of curiosity, do you hypermiler the downhill stretchs aka P&G or do you just stick it on eco-cruise?

I lived there for a short time many years ago. Suffered from *green withdrawal* and had to spend a lot of time up on Mt. Lemon.

Jus - I definitely just use Eco Cruise. No way would I have the ability to hypermile for 3 hours a day.

Adair - I love in Tucson and work at Ft Huachuca. If you've been down there, you know Ft Huachuca is literally on the side of a mountain.

Thats is surprising you only get 45 MPG on the way down, you have 40 miles of downslope...what am I not seeing? ...

Same question in my mind, but right along side "Have you done the PCM update yet?" Recall 13B07?

Pre-update, ICE is on above 63, and I can't see a) keeping it below 63 on the way down and b) want to when you have a 180 minute commute.

HAv efun,

Frank

Eco-cruise is part of your problem, if you don't want to pulse & glide all the way home why don't you try tapping down on the speed setting 1 mph when in eco-cruise to induce EV mode on some of the hills?  Even with gradual downhills EV can hold on a pretty good distance.  When I was coming home from my vacation I held 65 mph for 12 miles on Rt. 80 East at the Pennsylvania / New Jersey border.  If that doesn't work are you willing to slow down a little?  A 10 mph difference is huge on the gas mileage at higher speeds.

Well, I only drive one-way (to work) and my wife drives the other way (from work).  It's probably safer if I didn't attempt to have her monitor the current speed vs. kicking the car into EV mode.  Also, We usually drive right around 77, and I haven't seen any increase going from 77-78 to 75. 

That extra 15 minutes we save going 78 as opposed to 65 is valuable since we leave home at 0600 and get back at 1830.  Every minute counts!

What a fantastic tool, thanks for the heads-up!  Found some very interesting things about my commute - while the overall elevation change isn't very much (~70 ft), there are some significant hills and climbs, and it generally trends uphill to work and downhill to home.  I tend to get 1-2mpg better going home, which fits with these data!

To Work:

ToWork_zpsf1de915a.png

From Work:

FromWork_zps48213612.png

I do take a slightly different route home, but it only differs by about a mile or so.