Displaying phones display on 8 inch My Ford Touch display!

My wife's phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4. It has a function to mirror the phones screen on another Display. I have an Energi 300a package. I have no Backup camera or Navigation feature.Here is my thoughts.

1. $349 Purchase C Max Lock pick from this guy.http://www.coastalet...maxlockpick.htm

2.     $9  Purchase MHL to HDMI adapter. this plugs into the micro USB connector on the phone and allows conversion to HDMI outputhttp://www.ebay.com/...=item51afced200

3 $1.04Purchase HDMI to RCA adapter. http://www.ebay.com/...d=130991026391

Total of $360.03

Because the Lockpick unlocks the A/V hookup to view while driving, you should be able to view anything on the 8" screen that my wife's phone can show. you should be able to see full screen Navigation, WAZE for instance or Google maps.You could use SKYPE and have video conferencing while driving,not recommended though!

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

. you should be able to see full screen Navigation, WAZE for instance or Google maps.You could use SKYPE and have video conferencing while driving,not recommended though!

I was just used that amount of money to buy a tablet with 4G LTE connectivity and be able to take it with me.

Edited by fotomoto

• 6 months later...

I've done a little digging and iPhone 4s users may have an easier option.  The iPhone 4s using the Apple 30-pin to composite video adapter should be able to plug right into the composite video input.  A 3rd generation iPad might also be able to use the same adapter.  The adapter is under $50.

For iPhone 5 and 5s (or any iDevice with a Lightning connector), we'll have to use the Lightning to HDMI adapter, then an HDMI to composite converter to convert from digital to analog.  The HDMI to composite adapter would then plug into the composite video input.  The Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter is $50 and the HDMI to composite (digital-to-analog converter) adapters are around $30.

If somebody has an iPhone and the appropriate adapter(s), I would love to know if you can get video out of it and what it looks like (any letterboxing, orientation, etc.).

If all of this works in Park, the same as hooking up a DVD player through the composite video, then I might consider the roughly $350 investment in a MFT LockPick.

I've done a little digging and iPhone 4s users may have an easier option.  The iPhone 4s using the Apple 30-pin to composite video adapter should be able to plug right into the composite video input.  A 3rd generation iPad might also be able to use the same adapter.  The adapter is under $50.

For iPhone 5 and 5s (or any iDevice with a Lightning connector), we'll have to use the Lightning to HDMI adapter, then an HDMI to composite converter to convert from digital to analog.  The HDMI to composite adapter would then plug into the composite video input.  The Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter is $50 and the HDMI to composite (digital-to-analog converter) adapters are around $30.

If somebody has an iPhone and the appropriate adapter(s), I would love to know if you can get video out of it and what it looks like (any letterboxing, orientation, etc.).

If all of this works in Park, the same as hooking up a DVD player through the composite video, then I might consider the roughly $350 investment in a MFT LockPick.

I have a 5s and have purchased the exact setup you mention. I did it for a couple nights of Netflix and it works fine. However, there is a mess of "cablage"  which would get annoying fast if you wanted it "perma-instaled". I took a look at Waze which worked, but usability fell to zero as you cannot use the cars screen for input to your devise, or for anything else. One thing to note when sending video out of phones... some apps limit how video can be displayed and will not allow it over said adapters. 

I have a 5s and have purchased the exact setup you mention. I did it for a couple nights of Netflix and it works fine. However, there is a mess of "cablage"  which would get annoying fast if you wanted it "perma-instaled". I took a look at Waze which worked, but usability fell to zero as you cannot use the cars screen for input to your devise, or for anything else. One thing to note when sending video out of phones... some apps limit how video can be displayed and will not allow it over said adapters.

Thanks for posting your results! I'm assuming this was without a LockPick, but your point about usability would apply even if you were using one. Using Maps might be somewhat doable for basic navigation with Siri, but the ideal solution would be CarPlay. Somehow, I don't think Ford is going to retrofit it for existing customers.