Just got my C-Max!

sande022

So, I just got my 2013 C-Max and have read the owner's manual and am figuring out the fuel history, driving and braking coaching displays but I do want to clarify some things. Any of you who have figured it all out, can you help me out?

So when I'm in the Fuel History display on the Left side of the front display panel, the bar to the far left is the current MPG usage, correct?

When this bar is blue, this means the car is running on the Lithium Ion Battery alone and when it changes to white, the gas engine is operating, correct?

This morning when I started the car, the temperature was in the high 30's and it seemed the gas engine started right away and took several blocks before the car was running on the battery alone. Is this due to the lower temperature outside?

I live in MN where the winter temps will get A LOT colder in the coming months. I suspect this will negatively affect my MPG but if the above are also true issues, then it won't be just a winter ethanol additive issue like it is with gas only cars.

Would it help this winter if I use the block heater even if I'm not concerned about it starting?

Any other suggestions to get the most MPG out of this great car?

Thanks for any advise!

So, I just got my 2013 C-Max and have read the owner's manual and am figuring out the fuel history, driving and braking coaching displays but I do want to clarify some things. Any of you who have figured it all out, can you help me out?

Oh, I guess.  Since you asked so nicely.   :)

So when I'm in the Fuel History display on the Left side of the front display panel, the bar to the far left is the current MPG usage, correct?

I don't use that one.  Skip.  ;)

When this bar is blue, this means the car is running on the Lithium Ion Battery alone and when it changes to white, the gas engine is operating, correct?

Correct!

This morning when I started the car, the temperature was in the high 30's and it seemed the gas engine started right away and took several blocks before the car was running on the battery alone. Is this due to the lower temperature outside?

Correct.  

I live in MN where the winter temps will get A LOT colder in the coming months. I suspect this will negatively affect my MPG but if the above are also true issues, then it won't be just a winter ethanol additive issue like it is with gas only cars.

Correct again.

Would it help this winter if I use the block heater even if I'm not concerned about it starting?

An EBH will improve you initial mpg's since the first gas engine (called ICE) run/warmup will be much shorter and you'll get cabin heat much sooner.  Unlike a conventional car that uses the 12v battery and a starter, a hybrid uses the very large hybrid battery and extremely strong generator/motor to start (crank) the ICE so it isn't adversely affectedby extreme cold.  The 12V simply brings all the computer systems on-line so it's smaller than other cars.

Any other suggestions to get the most MPG out of this great car?

Move south till May!    ;)

Thanks for any advise!

Welcome :love_shower: and don't be a stranger.  :noobie:

Edited by fotomoto

Welcome to the forum!  :)

I just posted this to another thread... but I've discovered having the heater on when you first get in will automatically kick on the ICE.  Which is not necessarily ideal, given it doesn't heat much for a while anyway.  So I just leave it off for a little bit, until the ICE would normally kick on anyway during my drive.  Saved me a bunch of MPGs early on in the drive.

For displays... the Empower display is the best for really maximizing your MPGs because it gives you the most feedback on when you'll switch between ICE / EV mode.  The only other displays I use are the trip displays, and then I have My View set to the power consumption on the left and the engine temp on the right, just because I like info.  But I rarely flip from Empower. On the Fuel History display: yes, the left column is the most recent time period.  It's not instantaneous MPGs, though -- if you have it set for 1m intervals, it would be the previous clock minute, not the previous 60-seconds.  It only changes once per minute.

For learning the car, I like to reset the Empower MPG display daily when I get into the car -- that gives me immediate feedback on how I'm doing.  Then I use Trip 1 for each gas tank and then Trip 2 for any trips I want to measure.  Make sure your dealer reset your lifetime average (or reset it yourself) so you don't have all of the test drive stuff in there.

As for other suggestions... there are a lot of posts in the Hybrid Driving Tips & Tricks forum, I'd try reading some of those (ex: here and here), learn your car by driving for a while, then if you have any specific questions, stop on by and ask!  It took me quite a while to figure it out, but once I did, I started getting really great gas mileage.

And as fotomoto said, yes, an engine block heater should improve your MPGs because it will leave you with a shorter warm-up period when the ICE is forced on.  But it sounded like getting one installed is a bit pricey -- if you go that route, let us know!

Again, welcome, and have fun!

I usually have the "My View" set to show the RPMs on the left and the water temp on the right.  Keeping the RPMs at or below 2K helps economy.  When on electric, the rpm gauge changes to show I'm on electric.  Knowing when the water temp has reached operating temp is when I turn on the heater.  When starting up cold, I use the seat heater to keep me warm.

...I live in MN ...use the block heater...

First off, welcome!

Second, ETIS is your friend.

Go there, put in your VIN. You'll get a summary page for your car including any recalls (SW updates on my car) on the left and a summary of options on the right. Select something like "show minor features" and I bet you'll find an immersion heater already listed. I've read here that all C-Max shipped to MN and parts north are so equipped. Mine shows "Less immersion heater."

Have fun,

Frank

Welcome,Sande022!

Regarding warming up the car on cold mornings, I suggest leaving the heater off as you start driving, and use the heated seats instead (if you have them).  They warm you up nicely, until the EV starts kicking in, saving you a lot of mpgs.

Enjoy getting familiar with your new toy!  If you find yourself becoming a little obsessive about it, welcome to the club (forum).

The suggestion above about watching the temp gauge for turning on the heater is excellent. Once the coolant temp is above the bottom bar and into the middle range the heater will operate without causing the ICE to run unnecessarily to make heat. If the coolant temp drops below that bar then the ICE will not turn off if the HVAC is calling for heat. Seat heaters are the best option when first starting out.

Also, you C-Max should have a block heater. The plug is located under the hood behind the right headlight. Use it. The block heater warms the coolant up to about 40C. 40-45C is the threshold for turning off the ICE and having normal hybrid operation. The block heater reduces the initial warm up time down to virtually zero. It will also allow you to have warm air blowing out of the vents almost immediately. When the air temp is really cold the block heater may only get the coolant up to 35C. Last winter I found that when the temp was below 10F the block heater could only get the coolant up to about 35C. This still is a huge help!

Even with temps in the 30s and 40s like we're having right now in MN you should use the block heater as it will make a noticeable impact, particularly on shorter trips. Covering the large grille can also be beneficial to help insulate the ICE and keep it warm longer.

Expect to see your gas mileage be only in the 30s this winter. That's what we had last year in our FFH which we got in December. As the car breaks in and you learn how to drive it more efficiently you'll be able to get better gas mileage. This winter I'm hoping for 42 MPG average over the entire winter compared to 38-39 like we averaged last winter. However, during the summer we averaged over 50 MPG and our year round average is above 45 MPG as you can see in my Fuelly signature below. So, don't become disheartened by the poor MPGs you'll see at first in our cold weather. Ideal temps for a hybrid are 70s as then the car warms up quickly but it isn't hot enough that you turn on the A/C. Most of our summer in MN is warm enough for great hybrid gas mileage. Sadly, we had a long winter last year that extended into May and it seems that winter has come early this year so that hurts the MPGs a lot.

I usually have the "My View" set to show the RPMs on the left and the water temp on the right. Keeping the RPMs at or below 2K helps economy. When on electric, the rpm gauge changes to show I'm on electric. Knowing when the water temp has reached operating temp is when I turn on the heater. When starting up cold, I use the seat heater to keep me warm.

Hmmm. I need to figure out how to display the temperature.

Hmmm. I need to figure out how to display the temperature.

Assuming you're talking about the ICE temperature, my view allows you to see an analog scale (no numbers).  From the OM:

1. The thermometer indicator next to the gauge will illuminate in blue or white to indicate the following:

2. Blue thermometer : This indicates that the hybrid system is not warm enough to allow EV operation. The gasoline engine will run continuously when the indicator is blue. During silent key start mode, the thermometer indicator will be blue, but the gasoline engine will not run. This is the result of the vehicle computer allowing the engine to be cooler during the silent key start period. This is normal operation and does not indicate a problem with your vehicle. After the first engine start the indicator will turn white when the gasoline engine is warm enough to turn off.

3. White thermometer : This indicates that the hybrid system is warm enough to allow EV operation. If the vehicle operates on battery power long enough, it is possible that the gasoline engine may need to run to keep the system warm. In this case, the thermometer indicator will revert back to blue