To 700 miles or not??

HannahWCU

I didn't start this tank thinking I was going to try for 700 miles, but it looks like my last shot at it this year.  The temps are predicted to get into the 30's at night by the weekend.  As it sits now, I am at 619.4 miles. Trip meter (below) reads 54.4 MPG using 11.36 gallons.  DTE reads 36 miles.  I know from experience that I regularly fill the tank with 1/2 gallon more gas than the trip meter says I use.  So I am VERY hesitant to go much past 13.00 gallons used.  However, based on calculations, I should make 700 miles before using an indicated 13 gallons.  :future:

One other issue.  Its 30 miles one-way to work and the way I have been going to get this mileage has no gas stations on the way.  :shift:

Need encouragement!!!   :love_shower:

or discouragement.  :sos:

post-355-0-07371200-1382484864_thumb.jpg

It will be tomorrow. 30 miles each way to work gets me to 680. Figured if I was that close I would find a 20 mile route while the ICE is warm (and so are the temps) to get me to the magical 700.

As for the gas can ... I might stop by the house at the 680 mark to get one. But am trying to do this without one.

I have been using Hwy 70 from Hickory to Statesville and back. I find that I can average at least 55mpg each way on 70. But taking I-40, my mileage rarely breaks 50. Mostly due to speed, I believe. I can stay between 45-55 on HWY 70.

Edited by HannahWCU

When I did my recent 700+ tank, I faced a similar scenario in that my normal commute route would take me as far away from a gas station as possible around the 700 goal.   And I'd have my kids with me.  So, I decided to waste some gas and finish the tank on a special run/route that would keep me near stations at all times the evening before.  Yes, I wussed out.   :cry:

I didn't start this tank thinking I was going to try for 700 miles, but it looks like my last shot at it this year.  The temps are predicted to get into the 30's at night by the weekend.  As it sits now, I am at 619.4 miles. Trip meter (below) reads 54.4 MPG using 11.36 gallons.  DTE reads 36 miles.  I know from experience that I regularly fill the tank with 1/2 gallon more gas than the trip meter says I use.  So I am VERY hesitant to go much past 13.00 gallons used.  However, based on calculations, I should make 700 miles before using an indicated 13 gallons.  :future:

One other issue.  Its 30 miles one-way to work and the way I have been going to get this mileage has no gas stations on the way.  :shift:

Need encouragement!!!   :love_shower:

or discouragement.  :sos:

attachicon.gifcmax619.jpg

I was able to go well past empty in my quest for 653 miles before running out of gas.  I went at least 30 miles before getting the message to pull over when safe.  Carry a 2 gallon can of gas if you are going to play this game.

Edited by mtb9153

Morning update. Made it to work with a 58mpg trip average. Sitting at 649 miles, 11.87 indicated gallons used and 0 miles to empty.

Update: Forgot to say my indicated MPG rose to 54.6 with the morning commute.

I would still go with gas can to minimize the hassle factor.  If you out run you will probably be going down hill or level, that's what happened to me my last tank going to fill up at SAM's. I was about a 1/4mile away going down hill and it quit to my surprise, but things worked out so I could EV to SAM's. It only took 13.8gal. so still had .2gals in tank and could have restarted ICE on slight up grade to SAM's if I needed too. You are in good shape.

Paul

Ditto.  But the next 50 can seem like pins and needles!   :waiting:

The engineer in me KNOWS the numbers show I have at least a gallon of gas left which should take me to 700 at this point.  :detective:

The practical person in me is going :runaway:

I drove to work with that egg under my gas pedal.  And I am sure going home will be the same.  Yesterday, it seemed like every car that got in front of me needed to turn left at the same time a line of 5 cars were coming towards us in the other lane, making me stop and loose all my momentum. :swear: