EPA retreats on ethanol mandate

wab

:happy feet:    :headspin:      :drool:

"The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is cutting the amount of ethanol and other biofuels that must be blended into the nation’s fuel supply, a victory for oil companies that call the federal ethanol mandate unworkable.

On Friday, the EPA proposed draft 2014 blending volumes under the federal Renewable Fuel Standard that are lower than the 2013 requirements, and far less than called for in a 2007 law that expanded the mandate.

The EPA is proposing to require 15.21 billion gallons in 2014, down from 16.55 billion gallons in 2013, marking the first time the agency has lowered the target from the prior year."

:jump_earth:

http://thehill.com/blogs/regwatch/energyenvironment/190422-epa-retreats-on-ethanol

:lol:

The main reason they are backing off is that it isn't working:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4258796

I truly hope you all can recognize an opinion piece when you see it... high on imflamatory language, devoid of actual data. Huffington does a lot of this because it sells.

It's why colleges teach courses on critical thinking...

HAve fun,

Frank

What does this have to do with ethanol in gasoline?

Here are just a few links from here.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/graphene/

All using graphene which can now be made with ethanol.

ucsb-all-graphene-chip_80x48.jpg

October 25, 2013 at 7:03AM Scientists show how to make an integrated circuit using only grapheme

graphene_80x48.jpg

May 31, 2013 at 8:31AM Graphene camera sensors said to be 1,000 times more sensitive to light

lasers-wikimedia2_80x48.jpg

May 26, 2013 at 2:13AM Scientists find that graphene can be used to build lasers

morphwristmode_80x48.jpg

January 29, 2013 at 5:13AM EU backs consortium in billion-euro program to hasten graphene development

Here are just a few links from here.

http://www.engadget.com/tag/graphene/

All using graphene which can now be made with ethanol.

ucsb-all-graphene-chip_80x48.jpg

October 25, 2013 at 7:03AM Scientists show how to make an integrated circuit using only grapheme

graphene_80x48.jpg

May 31, 2013 at 8:31AM Graphene camera sensors said to be 1,000 times more sensitive to light

lasers-wikimedia2_80x48.jpg

May 26, 2013 at 2:13AM Scientists find that graphene can be used to build lasers

morphwristmode_80x48.jpg

January 29, 2013 at 5:13AM EU backs consortium in billion-euro program to hasten graphene development

Fascinating.  Are you suggesting that EPA reduced its ethanol in gasoline requirement to free up ethanol for graphene production?   

Fascinating.  Are you suggesting that EPA reduced its ethanol in gasoline requirement to free up ethanol for graphene production?   

No

I'm interested in both and thought it  interesting that both started making the financial news at the same time??? 

• 3 weeks later...

I truly hope you all can recognize an opinion piece when you see it... high on imflamatory language, devoid of actual data. Huffington does a lot of this because it sells.

It's why colleges teach courses on critical thinking...

HAve fun,

Frank

Ummm ... it wasn't written by the Huffington post.  It was written by the Associated Press. Does that change your mind?  Or did you just see that I linked a Huffington Post article and you assumed it was "an opinion piece ... high on inflammatory language, devoid of actual data".

Now that I have said that.  I agree that the article contained a lot of opinion, but overall, I think it presented what is/was wrong with the ethanol mandate in the first place.  Although I have read a lot of articles disputing this story, I haven't found any that have presented facts to dispute the article.  Most are full of "inflammatory language, devoid of actual data".

Sorry, but I don't play politics.  I don't like either side of the government (republicans or democrats).  Don’t really care where my news comes from.  If I come across something that really interests me, I read it from multiple sources to get the whole picture.  I use Google news for my news feed for this reason.

AP is a news service. Subscribers choose which stories they pick up. Huffington picks up these kind of stories. Their choice...

I failed to make any assumptions, preferring to read the piece and judge for myself. Please don't confuse conclusions with assumptions. 

If you think this article presents a balanced view of the topic, we will have to disagree. If you expect to find logic and reason in articles of dispute, sadly not in the internet era. When billions of dollars are at stake; the truth takes a back seat to influence and profit.

I'm a member of the local Academy of Science (sounds better than it is) and as a result, get to speak with lots of technical people. That's the only place I see a complete picture, as most of the factual data is long buried in rhetoric.  Talking with folks who do complex activities professionally gives you a different perspective. Finding such folks on the internet is highly unlikely; who needs critical thinking when you have a blog?

Finally, in all fairness to the authors...

(opening paragraph, ed.) The hills of southern Iowa bear the scars of America's push for green energy: The brown gashes where rain has washed away the soil. The polluted streams that dump fertilizer into the water supply.

... how far do you think I had to read to see signs of bias? As the old rule-of-thumb goes, "If it reads like a novel, it probably is."

Have fun,

Frank

• 5 weeks later...

What would really be great IMO is if the industry would switch from Ethanol- which doesn't stay in a mix with gasoline forever- to Isobutanol which does. Isobutanol doesn't have any of the side effects of ethanol, but reduces hydrocarbon emissions in the same manner as ethanol. I've been following a company called Gevo as they fought Dupont and BP who have also applied for patents. What I think is going to happen is that since big business lost their lawsuit to steal Gevo's patents for converting ethanol production plants to isobutanol production- it will now disappear. This is the same company that makes the biodegradable foam that is in the seats of our C-Maxs, and also has a contract with Coke to produce biodegradable plastic for drink bottles. I'm sure product diversification will save the company, but I will hate to see a good idea like isobutanol fall by the wayside just because big business pockets won't profit as much from it.