Vehicle Health Report Hell

userw014

After my new(ish) 2013 C-Max Energi reported to me "Engine Oil Maintenance" tonight, I thought I'd run a Vehicle Health Report.

I've been sitting in this car for 45 minutes with the the car in "run" and it STILL tells me:

Error

Your vehicle must be running for at least a minute before running a vehicle health report.

As an IT professional, I've got a rather snarky attitude about things Microsoft (MS Windows Automotive, which Ford MyTouch is built on) and this ISN'T helping my attitude.  (For that matter, neither is the erratic behavior of the radio or the 10 character limit when configured as a WiFi client device.)

The MS chip on my shoulder aside, any ideas?  When I go into [Help] -> [system Information] reports CCPU S/W Version: 4.30.16171_PRODUCT and "Navigation Application Version" 3.48.9

After 8 months and 18,000 miles, I still haven't used the vehicle report but you can find out if your car needs any updates here:

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=E30D3A623902D8F34C56C1F25A6F6A05.eccvas507

Oh, and welcome to the forum!   :happy feet:

Edited by fotomoto

Greetings and Welcome

I'm on my phone so please excuse me for being short very basic.

1. Is your phone in the car? My first mistake.

2. Is your sync account up to date. Fords #? mistake.

We used this cell #on our last car, sync reports that our # is being

used by another car. IT IS not and I've told sync my ride... I need to call them.

hope this isn't out of line

and again welcome

wab

Have you registered with Ford yet?

https://support.ford.com/tools/account/register?step=find

This tells Ford who's calling when you send a VHR, and since I can't receive these on my phone, this is where I view a VHR. I have the capless fueling port, and it sometimes fails to seal correctly, resulting in the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) for "regulatory" issues (engine outline). VHR says I need to see the dealer. The owners' manual says to re-seat the fueling port flaps with the fueling funnel. The MIL goes out when I do, so I suggest you take the VHR with a grain of salt; it's part of the overall customer support system

And regardless what you find/do on this site, GO TO ETIS. Great source for what Ford thinks your car has (options) and needs (recalls, service bulletins, etc.)

Have fun,

Frank

Nothing snarky about it!

I love almost everything about my C-Max with the exception that they had anything to do with Microsoft!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many years of my life did I waste with PCs that ran (if you can call stumbling running) Windows?

Don in NC

After my new(ish) 2013 C-Max Energi reported to me "Engine Oil Maintenance" tonight, I thought I'd run a Vehicle Health Report.

I've been sitting in this car for 45 minutes with the the car in "run" and it STILL tells me:

Error

Your vehicle must be running for at least a minute before running a vehicle health report.

As an IT professional, I've got a rather snarky attitude about things Microsoft (MS Windows Automotive, which Ford MyTouch is built on) and this ISN'T helping my attitude.  (For that matter, neither is the erratic behavior of the radio or the 10 character limit when configured as a WiFi client device.)

The MS chip on my shoulder aside, any ideas?  When I go into [Help] -> [system Information] reports CCPU S/W Version: 4.30.16171_PRODUCT and "Navigation Application Version" 3.48.9

Thank you everyone for your response.  I was (perhaps) too succinct in my report.

I did do this with my phone in the cabin of the Energi with me. It was paired with MFT at the time.

I am registered with SUPPORT.FORD.COM .  THAT site tells me that MFT was updated to Gen2-v3.6.2  (DA5T-14D544-BD) on August 28, 2013 - 3 weeks before I bought the car in mid-late September.  However, as a software/network/database IT professional, I consider that only a suggestion of reality, not the real truth.

I think it's time to try the re-pairing of my phone with MFT, followed by resetting of the phone number of my phone number on SUPPORT.FORD.COM followed by power-cycling MFT by playing fuse games - followed by giving up and taking the damn thing for warranty work.  

Edited by userw014

After driving around a bit for the sheer joy of it, I realized that having exhausted by EV-only range I'd been running on the engine for a while, which might be why I couldn't get a report just sitting in my carport the other night with the car "on".

It took a few tries, but I was able to transmit a vehicle health report.  

For a few brief moments, there was a bit of joy in my 15 degree F carport.

But when I viewed the report, every category (except for Dealer maintenance) was marked "System Unavailable" (in red).

11-24-2013 VHR

Cell-Phone pairing doesn't seem a problem… or maybe it is. Who can tell? It's MFT!

Maybe I'll first try a "My Ford Touch" System Reset instead of fuse games in my 15F carport in the dark.

P.S.: Running the cabin heater nearly halves my EV-only range - which still leaves me with enough (barely) to get to and from work.  Unfortunately, there's no place convenient to plugin at work.  Call that a "First World Problem".

Ok, My Ford Touch/SYNC Master Reset (with all USB/SD card devices removed and iPhone powered down.)   Reload SD Navigation card. Re-Paired phone.   Made sure car was in EV-later mode (to force the engine to run, as it'd been charging for a few hours.)   Drove around in the frozen dark on crappy Michigan AA City/Township (township is worse) roads. Did I say in the dark?  Just for a Vehicle Health Report?  (I've done dumber things, but not often.)

Got home.  Started the vehicle health report.  Made sure to keep my foot on the gas to keep the engine running.  (In idle.  In my car-port.  At the top of a little hill.)

Ta-da! It worked (except the "Scheduled Maintenance" part under "Dealership and Maintenance" was "unavailable".  Even though the coupons were there.)

Thank you Ford, for building a system that continues to deliver coupons in the frozen dark.

I'm not a car guy.    Really, I'm not.   I want it to "just work".    And as far as I can tell, the mechanicals do (except for a slight reluctance for the rear riverside door to close.)   All the mechanicals seem to work fine.   But My Ford Touch is STILL not ready for production.  It's a great Proof-of-Concept.  It's a great college senior project.  It's fine for internal use where you've got engineers who really love their cars and know how it all works together and can tolerate (personally) some wonky behavior.  But it doesn't "just work" for a guy like me.  And given the dependency modern vehicles have on their internal computers and networks, it scares the shit out of me about the quality of the rest of the computer systems controlling the engine, brakes, charging-system, etc.

And the whole prompt about "please remove all USB, SD, and Bluetooth devices" from the Master Reset makes me think that's the way to root it - not that I've done anything more advanced than install various Linuxes, *BSDs, and OpenSolaris on Wintel machines (and replaced the firmware in a D-Link router with OpenWRT.)

I'm not ready to "brick" my radio and cabin AC+heat (I couldn't care less about the Navigation system or Sirius.)  But now I'm curious about getting my hands on a My Ford Touch CPU & touch screen second-hand.  (Except for being too cheap and time-starved to actually do it.)

Edited by userw014

I've run it about four times without a problem, well, except for forgetting to have the car on for a minute before running them.  Other than the first time as a test, I've been doing them to qualify for a better car insurance rate from State Farm for low mileage.  I've been on 3.6.2 and am generally satisfied with the operation of MFT since that upgrade, except for its inability to remember where I paused audiobooks running on a USB thumb drive.