Dead Battery Problem

Ponypower

I have just ordered a 2014 Ford C-Max, 303A package with sunroof.  I have been reading about some people having problems with the battery going dead. That scares me, I need a reliable car.  Did ford fix the problem?   Has the battery gone dead after the reflashes of the computer?  Just your thoughts, everyone have a Great Thanksgiving

I don't believe I have read anything saying the problem is resolved.  Some people are assuming it has been fixed on the new builds, but I believe I have read of more than one new build with dead battery.  I wish Ford would issue some sort of statement as I always have that nagging worry that ours won't start. But I am a worry wart.

Edited by Laurel

Hi Ponypower,

Yes, there have been a number of owners of 2013 C-Max's who have had their 12V battery go dead--sometimes multiple times.  I am one of these unfortunate owners--my battery has died 4 times (twice within one week on March, once in August, and once in October).  The most frustrating part of this is that Ford seems unable to figure out what is causing the problem.  I like my C-Max enough that I am going to keep it, but I have read posts on this forum from at least three owners who were frustrated enough over this to invoke their state's lemon law and force Ford to take back their C-Max.  This is an ugly stain on what is an otherwise nice car--I sincerely hope that Ford is able to diagnose and fix this problem.

(You can read more about this in the Batteries sub-sub forum in the Drivetrain sub-forum.)

I have just ordered a 2014 Ford C-Max, 303A package with sunroof.  I have been reading about some people having problems with the battery going dead. That scares me, I need a reliable car.  Did ford fix the problem?   Has the battery gone dead after the reflashes of the computer?  Just your thoughts, everyone have a Great Thanksgiving

There are others on this message board that know more than me, however, there post 1018 of this thread http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/361-battery-dead/page-51 suggest that SEs have more of a problem that SELs.

There also may be a post with some informal survey that also reflects SEs have more problems that SELs.  I think you ordered an SEL because your package begins with a 3 and not a 2.  And as I recall it was a substantial difference.

Perhaps someone who follows this problem more than me will have more to add on the SE vs SEL or just look around the above post and perhaps more.

If I were you I would be positively excited about getting your 2014 though if someone can add more to the SE vs SEL info it may allay your fears.

Edited by obob

I'm thinking chances are pretty good that any given C-Max doesn't have the problem. Since the car came out, our local dealer has seen only two that did, and the C-Max is a popular car in my town. 

One of those two was my co-worker's SE, which had the problem twice. The first time, the dealer did the software update that charges the battery more aggressively. The second time, the dealer replaced the battery. Since then, he has not had the problem.

Thanks everyone for their imput.  I feel honored to be part of this forum.  Can,t wait till mine comes in.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Pony! I'm coming up on 1 year ownership of my C-Max, and at the risk of jinxing myself, I have not had the battery problem even once. The only problem I have had was concerning the SYNC/MFT system and is now resolved. I love my C-MAX and can't imagine driving another car now. Welcome to the family, and I'm sure you will love yours too!