Anybody else see Dlr ads for C-Max disappear?

Mi-C

Several months ago (thinking July 2013) saw series of Ford TV commercials touting C-Max. Fall of 2012 (when we bought our C hybrid) through about July 2013 local Ford dealership newsprint ads were common for C-Max. However, by Aug-Sep 2013 ... No more ads ... Anywhere for C-Max. Also, trade-in values fell by about 10%. Neither is very encouraging signs I guess :-(. Anyone else notice the Ford dealer, Ford corporate sales pitch for C-Max has all but disappeared off the earth?

I have noticed that when our metro dealer assn in Phoenix advertises their specials, you rarely see the c-max.  Could be there just aren't that many in stock compared to Focus, Escape, Fusion, F-150, etc.  Local dealers have it occasionally shown in their ads.

My guess is there is more factory support for advertising on the other models, Cmax just doesn't have the volume enough to justify the ad space, not to say it has not met sales expectations, etc.  Another example:  when was the last time you saw the Taurus in ads?  It is lower volume for Ford as well.

There are good rebates to move 2013 cmax now, my dealer has only 6 showing in inventory, and it does pretty high volume.

Talking to my dealer, I helped them pick options for 2014 CMAX, He said the cars have already been built and are going through quality inspection. I would think they would start advertising with cars ready shortly. He thought they would have a delivery date soon. :)

Paul

Good to hear from your dealer Paul that 2014 is cooking & soon here.  Yes the dealer advertising here began to dry up in August / Sept, and went into the deep freeze Oct / Nov.  The newspaper advertising switched over to the Energi by all of the dealers.  There appeared to be a wholesale retreat saying goodbye to 2013, and counting the days until they could go with a fresh start with the 2014.  Went by our dealer in early Nov and they had a nice row of 12 C-Maxes, but they were no longer in front of the showroom.  I believe they were happy to sell them on a pace that would get them a new truckload when the 2014s became available now this month.  It will be interesting to see if Ford opts for a new, more robust, ad campaign or just quietly launches 2014.   Nick 

PS  We are seeing C-Maxes all over Seattle now (or at least NW Seattle), and we saw them all over Maui when we were there two weeks ago.

Edited by C-MaxSea

I've had that sinking feeling for months that they plan on dropping the C-Max.  Only 900 sold in all of Canada.  Going into the dealership feels like something is going on as they don't even mention the C-Max or ask how we are enjoying it etc.  It is like they won't even look at us when our car comes up in discussion--yet they are friendly in general over other issues.  It leaves us with a feeling that they know something that we don't know.  We're in big Prius country here on the South Coast of BC so something is rotten in Denmark.  One thing that really worries me is that they stopped production between Oct.28 and Dec.16th.  I am perplexed with the concept of delaying the 2014 cars like they have done.  Most dealers have the 2014's out.  And if production is delayed until Dec.16th, to me that indicates we won't see any 2014's until the end of January as production shuts down over Christmas too.  It all seems odd. I hope I am wrong and they are planning a huge campaign to flog the 2014 cars.

Edit:  I see I am wrong as in another thread they say the 2014's started in production on Dec.1st.  Hooray!!!

Edited by Laurel

I've had that sinking feeling for months that they plan on dropping the C-Max.  Only 900 sold in all of Canada.  Going into the dealership feels like something is going on as they don't even mention the C-Max or ask how we are enjoying it etc.  It is like they won't even look at us when our car comes up in discussion--yet they are friendly in general over other issues.  It leaves us with a feeling that they know something that we don't know.  We're in big Prius country here on the South Coast of BC so something is rotten in Denmark.  One thing that really worries me is that they stopped production between Oct.28 and Dec.16th.  I am perplexed with the concept of delaying the 2014 cars like they have done.  Most dealers have the 2014's out.  And if production is delayed until Dec.16th, to me that indicates we won't see any 2014's until the end of January as production shuts down over Christmas too.  It all seems odd. I hope I am wrong and they are planning a huge campaign to flog the 2014 cars.

Edit:  I see I am wrong as in another thread they say the 2014's started in production on Dec.1st.  Hooray!!!

Just talked to my dealer and he said that the CMAX he ordered has been built but hasn't been cleared to ship, the cars haven't cleared quality inspection. I guess the only way we know for sure is if someone went by the plant and saw CMAX's in their storage lot.    :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Paul that is great news!  I don't want to own an Edsel.  My husband wasn't super keen when we bought the C-Max and if it got dropped he would not let me forget that it was my choice.

I guess we don't know anything for sure until someone checks out their storage lot. LOL They would be crazy to drop the CMAX, Ford doesn't have anything to fill that spot in the line up. :) 

Paul

Folks, the C-Max/Fusion hybrid line is now second in sales in the USA behind Toyota, of course, while the Energi twins along with the focus electric give Ford the lead this month in nationwide plugin sales over the Leaf, Volt, Plug in Prius, and even Tesla.  :happy feet:

"Year-to-date, the growth in the Fusion and C-Max hybrids (41,000 units) represents sixty percent of the overall growth in the hybrid market. "

http://www.hybridcars.com/october-2013-dashboard/

Paul that is great news!  I don't want to own an Edsel.  My husband wasn't super keen when we bought the C-Max and if it got dropped he would not let me forget that it was my choice.

Why are you so concerned about Ford dropping the C-Max (which they won't)? It won't affect the car you already own. Even if Ford didn't build another one we all have a car that we are quite happy with.

Primarily I worry about trade-in value as hubby tends to switch cars every couple of years.  I really like the car, but he just thinks it is okay so I imagine next year he will want something else that catches his fancy.  I don't want to lose our shirts over the C-Max.  And already I get frustrated at the dealership as they seem so uninformed about the C-Max so heaven help us if it is discontinued.  And I like to blend into the crowd and it would be nice to see an occasional C-Max.  We have seen one other in the past year of ownership.

Laurel, don't be discouraged, car sales people sell what is most popular that they can get the most $$ out of, and Cmax is a lower volume item.  Loos around your dealership for Taurus or Ford Edge, both are a smaller market, they will have some ( like Cmax) but it won't be like the F150 or Fusion.

Ford made a significant investment in the Cmax bringing it to market, and running gear is same for Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, so there is a commitment to the drivetrain.  

I had a Merkur (german built Ford) in 1985, it proved to be an expensive mis-calculation for Ford, but they were still selling them four years later......  the Cmax is much more desirable and has sold in much better numbers.  It is likely to be around a fair amount of time.

Laurel, don't be discouraged, car sales people sell what is most popular that they can get the most $$ out of, and Cmax is a lower volume item.  Loos around your dealership for Taurus or Ford Edge, both are a smaller market, they will have some ( like Cmax) but it won't be like the F150 or Fusion.

Ford made a significant investment in the Cmax bringing it to market, and running gear is same for Fusion and Lincoln MKZ, so there is a commitment to the drivetrain.  

I had a Merkur (german built Ford) in 1985, it proved to be an expensive mis-calculation for Ford, but they were still selling them four years later......  the Cmax is much more desirable and has sold in much better numbers.  It is likely to be around a fair amount of time.

It wouldn't hurt to come out with a Grand CMAX without the back seats and more battery. I like hauling stuff around and would appreciate the extra space. That is why the Energi was a no go. :)

Paul

My husband had a Merkur too!  He loved it.  His was red and very luxurious for its day.  The only reason he traded it in was to buy a van as we bought a little farm and a cottage at the lake.  We had two big Newfoundland dogs then and we needed space to transport them when we went up to the Harrison Lake with them.  The one Newfie was a character and true to his nature i.e. rescuing swimmers that were drowning.  He drove us nuts as he would leap into the lake when the neighbour kids were swimming and grab them by the arm and drag them to shore.  When they were screaming in fun, he thought they needed rescuing.  His name was Bear and was a huge galoot who was known far and wide for his antics.  I miss the boy.

Laurel, it sounds like parallel paths.

I bought mine in 1985 and the turbo Ford SVO engine never liked the heat of Phoenix.  A two block drive would cause the cooling fan to run for 20 minutes.

Needless to say, it ate batteries, but I never had major mechanical issues, and when it ran, it was a fun car to drive fast.  Solid feel, quiet, and like the Cmax, it was unique on the road ( the double "whale tail" spoiler was fun.

The Cmax is such a good fit for how I drive now and our world.