13B12 - CHECK BATTERY AND REPROGRAM THE FRONT CONTROL/DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM)

Cmaxphilly

Hello,

My 12v died and I was just about to set up an appointment with the dealer to get a new battery and perhaps have TSB 13-07-10 applied, when the FSA 13B12 - CHECK BATTERY AND REPROGRAM THE FRONT CONTROL/DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) showed up on my ETIS. Has anyone else seen this FSA or know what it entails? Wondering if I should still go right to the dealer or wait to see what is in this FSA since per the title it seems to address the issue i'm having and potentially cover the TSB 13-07-10 also. Thanks!

Dan

Hello,

My 12v died and I was just about to set up an appointment with the dealer to get a new battery and perhaps have TSB 13-07-10 applied, when the FSA 13B12 - CHECK BATTERY AND REPROGRAM THE FRONT CONTROL/DISPLAY INTERFACE MODULE (FCDIM) showed up on my ETIS. Has anyone else seen this FSA or know what it entails? Wondering if I should still go right to the dealer or wait to see what is in this FSA since per the title it seems to address the issue i'm having and potentially cover the TSB 13-07-10 also. Thanks!

Dan

This FSA was just announced:

Dec 10 2013 4413 - Announcing Field Service Action 13B12

DELIVERY HOLD - Customer Satisfaction Program 13B12 - Certain 2013 C-MAX Hybrid Vehicles with 4" Multifunction Display - Check Battery and Reprogram the Front Control/Display Interface Module (FCDIM)

It looks like they changed TSB 13-07-10 from a TSB to a field service action (FSA).  Here is a link for TSB 13-07-10: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3560/tsb13-07-10.pdf

The dealer is automatically reimbursed by Ford for an FSA, where a TSB is not reimbursed unless the dealer can prove the TSB is necessary.

I hope they make TSB 13-06-23 (cold weather charging improvements) an FSA, too.  Link: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/pubs/content/~WT/~MUS~LEN/3595/tsb13-06-23.htm

Good luck

Interesting. Changing it from a TSB to a FSA is probably in response to customer complaints about battery problems and possibly also a response to some dealers being reluctant to do the TSBs for fear they would not be reimbursed. We know from CMAxPhilly and a couple of other recent posts that 12 volt problems continue to happen.

I find it curious that they elevated this particular TSB to a FSA, and not others. The TSB for the 4.2 screen is old and it seems it did not solve many of the 12 volt problems. Perhaps it is one of the less expensive TSBs to perform?

I find it curious that they elevated this particular TSB to a FSA, and not others. The TSB for the 4.2 screen is old and it seems it did not solve many of the 12 volt problems.

I am glad they are still working on it. I had the TSB done on my C-Max but it didn't help. I moved to a Fusion Energi after turning in the C-Max. My parents have a C-Max and have had no difficulties with it.

My cmax was built in May, so I was hoping it was outside the affected population based on the earlier version of the TSB, but not the case. Does anyone know how to get access to the FSA wording? Is there a link to the ford service website similar to the TSB above? Thanks.

To get the full FSA document, you have to have a paid subscription on Ford's technical service information website: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp

The subscription also provides access to the online workshop manual and wiring diagrams. 

The subscription cost is $19.95 a month.

I had a subscription but it has expired.

there are a couple of postings in the Battery section from owners of recent build C-Maxs with dead 12 volts, so the recent builds have the problem, too.

if no one has access to the full FSA text then maybe CMax Philly could ask their dealer for a copy. If you tell your service manager about all the TSBs, etc, related to dead batteries then they will know you are educated on the issue. If they want to keep you as a customer then a good service manager will give you the FSA text.

Good to tell them about all the TSBs. They should be checking the electrical connectors for water, the BCM ground for trouble, updating the charging firmware and also the latest FSA about that 4.2 inch screen.

On a whim, I stopped by the dealer to chat about the way the Fuel Gauge works on the C-Max, and while looking for applicable TSBs the rep came across this FSA.

Essentially, he said it combines a number of TSBs and is supposed to resolve the issue of modules failing to sleep correctly, and thus draining your battery, but it also was supposed to address window issues some people have been reporting. As an FSA its essentially a recall, and my service rep asked if I wanted to have it done, and did it right then and there. It took about an hour, and I had nowhere else to be at the time so I had them do it.

Received my Customer Satisfaction Program 13B12 in the mail today. After the question: What is the issue? It states: On your vehicle, under certain operating conditions, an electronic module fails to transition to "sleep" state. Instead, the module stays in "awake" mode and keeps other vehicle modules in "awake" mode. This can significantly increase the current drain on the battery, cause the 12 volt battery to discharge, and may prevent the engine from starting. The next question is: What will Ford and your dealer do? It states:  In the interest of customer satisfaction, Ford Motor Company has authorized your dealer to check the 12 volt battery on your vehicle and replace it if necessary. Also, your dealer will reprogram the Multifunction Display computer to correct the battery discharge condition. Free of charge etc...

My 2013 C-Max SE had a completely dead battery the morning of 11/15/13 with about 9600 miles on it. After checking the internet about this issue, i jump started, (or hop started) take your pick, and it has been fine ever since. (however i turn everything off, climate control, radio, nothing plugged into USB..even the cord itself before turning off the key) The vehicle is now near 10,000 miles and i will take it to the dealer for an oil and filter change  and have them perform the 13B12 service. I really like the C-Max and i hope this corrects the battery issue.

I had mine done.  For me it is kind of one of those one hand clapping updates.  Though my sense is they finally figured it out and I needn't worry about whether my car will be ready to get up and go.  They asked me if I wanted to wait for it - I said I would to go for a walk and be back in an hour.

Edited by obob

Yeah... I've felt like a beta tester since my first c-max had the issue in Nov of 2012. Jan will be my one year anniversary of the 2nd max after Ford replaced it. I'm continuously reminded how much I like it when I'm away and have to drive rentals, but I think had I know what I know now, I'd have waited a few years for Ford to Iron the kinks out. Still, I've had no real issues with my 2nd max so I'm happy with it.

Edited by mbedit

Well, I scheduled an appointment at my dealer on Christmas Eve day to get 13B12 applied.  I am one of the unfortunate owners who has suffered from a dead battery problem--I had four in my first year of C-Max ownership.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that this FSA will solve the problem.  If so, that will be a wonderful Christmas present!

• 2 months later...

(however i turn everything off, climate control, radio, nothing plugged into USB..even the cord itself before turning off the key)

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Will start doing it.

We had our SE for 8 months, 20,000+ miles with NO battery problems.  Had the battery FSA done 2-1/2 months ago (including a new battery) and have had two dead batteries since then (more details here) - although we "thought" we left ignition ON the first time.  Help!  Looks like I'm forced to build a battery monitor.

To get the full FSA document, you have to have a paid subscription on Ford's technical service information website: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/retail/default.asp

The subscription also provides access to the online workshop manual and wiring diagrams.

The subscription cost is $19.95 a month.

I had a subscription but it has expired.

sounds like a neat trick from ford to allow owners access to schematics and diagrams while putting some cash into their pockets Edited by mtb9153