steering wheel cocked to drive straight

Jmonty

so, on icy roads a few weeks back, my wife smacked into a curb at low speed with the front-right wheel and now my steering wheel is cocked to the right to go straight.  the wheels are still lined up correct, but my traction control is disabled due to the sensor on the column (according to the dealer).

the dealer says it is a $2k repair and my insurance won't cover it   :rant2:

the traction control thing doesn't bother me at all but the steering wheel being off center is very annoying.  does anyone have an idea of how to adjust that?  i would assume the center cover would pop off and there'd be a large nut to pull off but i don't want to go messing that up.  

Why wont your insurance cover it, you had a wreck in icy conditions?

Don't mess with the steering wheel, UNLESS you know how to disable the airbag!

Find a good front end alignment shop and have them check it, you might only need an alignment... but I doubt it.

Sounds like something bent.

Your tire/s will start showing unusual wear soon.

Good luck

wab 

You can't just remove the steering wheel and turn it a bit and put it back on anymore. The steering wheel is index keyed to the shaft and will only go on one way. Older vehicles could be adjusted in this fashion, but not for a long time. Sorry for the bad luck. Perhaps you will end up having to jump a curb again to avoid a collision, or get pushed into a curb, or something like that will happen this winter, and the off-kilter steering wheel may end up fixed at the same time as the new damage.