Maxus Radiator Shudder Door Video

mtb9153

Wanted to mention today I shot some video showing the operation of the shutter doors using my GoPro 3 mounted to the front bumper in front of the lower grille openings below and to the left of the license plate.  Pretty interesting how those doors work.  I started shooting in my garage prior to pushing the start button.  Kept the camera rolling well beyond the doors fully reopening in front of the camera.  A process that took the better part of an hour since the ICE wasn't running all the time.  I thought that once the water temperature reached normal, the doors would be fully open.  However after watching some of the raw footage this does not seem to be true.

When I first started Maxus and starting backing out of the garage, the shudders closed fully only to reopen and then fully close again.  They stayed closed until much later when they started to reopen and eventually being fully open.

I wonder if they all fully open at the same time?  Or if they open in certain parts as ICE temps require?  I'm going to shoot more video, but this time with the camera mounted in the upper large grille opening as a comparsion.

It was interesting to watch the movement of the shudders using my iPod mini while being transmitted wirelessly using an App I download from iTunes for free.  The video has a .5sec delay which is the lowest setting the software will allow.  Why it can't be in Real-Time I'm not savy enough to know.  But pretty cool stuff.  I didn't realize this App existed until a friend told me to check it out.

Once I shoot the footage of the upper grille, my plan is to edit the two giving side by side comparsion.  Also superimpose some other video I shot using my iPhone5 showing the dashboard readings on the left side throughout various periods of my driving time while shooting the footage.

It will give a nice overall view of how these interesting shudders work on our cars.  I will post a thread with a link to YouTube once the video is ready so anyone who wishes too, can take a look.

It is fun doing this sort of thing using the video tools I have.  I think I will shoot in the future some shots with the camera mounted outside the car using the GoPro suction cup mount on the sides to get various perspectives of the car under travel.  Might be fun to see.  If anyone can think of anything they would like to see me shoot?  Let me know and I will give it a try.  Stay tuned for the first video.

Edited by mtb9153

Brother Mike I tested the shutter operation a while ago with computer camera but I haven't found my post yet. The center and bottom shutters are all one unit. I still have my old one from the accident. Unlike what they use to be they are open or closed, no in between. They open at 210*F at slow speeds and 215*F at FWY speeds. :) 

Paul   

It's funny but yesterday I was looking at GoPro 3 cameras for doing imaging of tuff testing but they are not practicable for filming the Grandsons. I have  pics of my test setup I used for testing shutter operation in my gallery at the bottom with pics of camera in grill, USB cord on hood and LapTop on passenger seat. BTW Grill Covers solve the problem of shutters opening when stopped. :)

Paul

Paul, I have been have fun using my GoPro3 for this exercise, but it distresses me when I hang a $300 investment on the outside of my car or should I say my wife since she along with my family all chipped in and paid for it as my Father's day present in 2013.  I don't trust the GoPro suction cup accessory so I'm adding a safety tether line using small bungee cords as an added safety device. 

No they aren't practical for filming the Grandkids, not that I have any or children for that matter to produce them from.  I also have a Sony HDR-CSX210 Handycam that was a Christmas present from my family this last year.  It is much more suitable for that purpose at $150.  Combine those two camera's with my pro-sumer Canon XHA1 that I use for all my Videography gigs. gives me a nice camera inventory for just about any exercise.

Great fun but at a cost, video gear isn't cheap but prices have dramatically dropped in recent years over what they were.  I'm working on several video projects with my non-linear editing suite using Apple's Final Cut Pro running on my MacPro which cost me far more.  I had hoped to get enough outside gigs to help pay for the $7k the MacPro cost, but sadly the gigs haven't come in to my expectations. 

Hoping to get some gigs shooting sports venue's this new year.  Hopefully of better times with our 49er's who sadly lost their trip to their 6th Super Bowl.

Edited by mtb9153

Pre 13B07, the shutters would open each time you stopped (I.e. At a red light) even when the coolant was closed. Mike - did you see this in your video? Are you able to show your video of shutter operation in conjunction with coolant temps?

This is my plan to show the footage of the shudder door operation while using a split screen technique to show the coolant temperature gauge on my dashboard in realtime as the footage appears.  I did notice from reviewing the raw footage that the doors close and open when I turn off the ignition.  It seems in my first shoot when I captured footage of the lower grille doors that they stayed closed for a longer period of time even after the coolant temps reached normal then suddenly opened fully and stayed open until I returned to the garage after an hour of driving on surface streets and freeway.  I might try shooting using my third camera so I can split the screen into three angles.  One to show the doors operating, one to show the dashboard display and the third for looking out the windshield so viewers can see where I was driving at any given moment through the test.  This will create a much more difficult multi-cam edit and a longer editing cycle since I don't have allot of experience with multi-cam shoots and edits.  There is allot more work at syncing all the footage together with multi-cam shoots. 

This is my plan to show the footage of the shudder door operation while using a split screen technique to show the coolant temperature gauge on my dashboard in realtime as the footage appears.  I did notice from reviewing the raw footage that the doors close and open when I turn off the ignition.  It seems in my first shoot when I captured footage of the lower grille doors that they stayed closed for a longer period of time even after the coolant temps reached normal then suddenly opened fully and stayed open until I returned to the garage after an hour of driving on surface streets and freeway.  I might try shooting using my third camera so I can split the screen into three angles.  One to show the doors operating, one to show the dashboard display and the third for looking out the windshield so viewers can see where I was driving at any given moment through the test.  This will create a much more difficult multi-cam edit and a longer editing cycle since I don't have allot of experience with multi-cam shoots and edits.  There is allot more work at syncing all the footage together with multi-cam shoots. 

I think you could get by with 2 cameras. One showing the dash with the speedometer & left screen visible, and the second camera to show the shutters. I would suggest using the temp from Engineering Test Mode as it's much more accurate than the temp gauge in MyView.

I hope you have a ScanGauge or some type of digital WT output so you can see the actual numbers. Smart Gauge is useless for this test.  I did most of my testing on FWY because I couldn't get hot enough for the shutters to open even with grill covers on. The shutterswould open at 215*F and close at 214*F so they would open going uphill and close going down hill. Then after coming off the FWY and going around 45mph they didn't close until 210*F. :)

Paul 

I hope you have a ScanGauge or some type of digital WT output so you can see the actual numbers. Smart Gauge is useless for this test.  I did most of my testing on FWY because I couldn't get hot enough for the shutters to open even with grill covers on. The shutterswould open at 215*F and close at 214*F so they would open going uphill and close going down hill. Then after coming off the FWY and going around 45mph they didn't close until 210*F. :)

Paul 

Paul no I don't have one of those gauges never saw the need for it.  Guess I will need to consider it?

Edited by mtb9153

Paul no I don't have one of those gauges never saw the need for it.  Guess I will need to consider it?

Without exact numbers it's not very useful information. The long and short of this exercise is we need two important WT numbers.

#1. What temp does the high temp warning message come on.

#2. What temp does the ICE start to run rich to cool the ICE down and start to loose MPG's. :)

Paul