Sync Freeze Issues (Navigation)

Anyone else having issues using Sync Navigation? I have had mine lock up (freeze) 3 times now, with no ability to reset it, etc. I called the Sync Support and they told me to take it to the dealer ASAP.

Each time, I was trying to use Voice Navigation (entering an address, which is a frustration on it's own), and it locked up for over 4 hours. Screen frozen, time still at the time it froze. (Turning off power to car, etc. does nothing). Shutdown the car for a football game, started my drive home and 1.5 hours later it rebooted the sync system and came back good as new.

Next day, same thing it just didn't take 4 hours to reset/reboot; took about 30 minutes.

I'm going to take it in when I get time, but if others out there are experiencing this it would be good to know if there is a workaround to reset it.

I noticed you both have SEL models. Do you have the Sony sound system and Nav. I have the SE with the regular MyFord Touch (non Sony) and nav and haven't had this problem. I have noticed though that sometimes if I start my drive in a multi level parking lot where the GPS can't get a signal it can take 15 to 20 minutes after leaving the parking structure before it picks up my correct location on the map.

Anyone else having issues using Sync Navigation? I have had mine lock up (freeze) 3 times now, with no ability to reset it, etc. I called the Sync Support and they told me to take it to the dealer ASAP.

Each time, I was trying to use Voice Navigation (entering an address, which is a frustration on it's own), and it locked up for over 4 hours. Screen frozen, time still at the time it froze. (Turning off power to car, etc. does nothing). Shutdown the car for a football game, started my drive home and 1.5 hours later it rebooted the sync system and came back good as new.

Next day, same thing it just didn't take 4 hours to reset/reboot; took about 30 minutes.

I'm going to take it in when I get time, but if others out there are experiencing this it would be good to know if there is a workaround to reset it.

I have Sync and have no problems so far. However I do recognize it is a buggy system (Microsoft) and will do this if the lockup happens to me.

http://www.fordedgef...rcing-a-reboot/

Have you checked syncmyride.com to make certain you have all the latest firmware?

Edited by darrelld

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask this question, but it might relate to the problem.
Can the navigation SD card data be copied to a faster SD Card? Several web sites suggest that the navigation system is a bit slow. If the navigation system comes on a class 4 or class 6 card, would it be possible to port the information to a class 10 or newer SD card technology to improve performance?

April - Update - Dealer replaced GPS Module.  Navigation is now working flawlessly. 

Edited by joe

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask this question, but it might relate to the problem.

Can the navigation SD card data be copied to a faster SD Card? Several web sites suggest that the navigation system is a bit slow. If the navigation system comes on a class 4 or class 6 card, would it be possible to port the information to a class 10 or newer SD card technology to improve performance?

Might be worth experimenting with, not certain if the SD interface would support the higher transfer rates. Local Frys has some good deals on SD cards on friday.

It is worth a try but most Map software is copy protected to only run on the supplied card. If it wasn't some owners would be buying "boot leg" map updates on e-Bay for a $1 from someone offshore. The other questions are how much storage memory does the GPS contain and how much of the Map info does it "cache" on boot up for faster access? I highly doubt the GPS loads the entire US / Canada on boot up, it probably just loads at least a several state / province region, based on your locality, that is how most GPS's most work. I had a Subaru that required you to load a new DVD, out of the supplied set, when you traveled West of the Mississippi River....

It is worth a try but most Map software is copy protected to only run on the supplied card. If it wasn't some owners would be buying "boot leg" map updates on e-Bay for a $1 from someone offshore. The other questions are how much storage memory does the GPS contain and how much of the Map info does it "cache" on boot up for faster access? I highly doubt the GPS loads the entire US / Canada on boot up, it probably just loads at least a several state / province region, based on your locality, that is how most GPS's most work. I had a Subaru that required you to load a new DVD, out of the supplied set, when you traveled West of the Mississippi River....

I don't know how Ford does it, but our Chrysler's didn't protect the medium - they simply encoded it by VIN. So when you got an update it was encoded with your VIN and would only work with that single vehicle. We could copy the DVD update as much as we want, it just wouldn't install in any other vehicle.

This sounds like a really good idea, it may at least improve performance. I hope someone tries this. I found this on this article from 2010: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367161,00.asp

Buy Two Fords and One Navigation Card? Nice Try (It Won't Work)

If you visions of being a two- or three-Ford family and moving one SD card among multiple cars, that apparently is a non-starter.

"The SD cards are not locked to individual VINs, so technically it is possible to switch from MyFord Touch-equipped vehicle to vehicle," said Ford spokesman Alan Hall. "But, the navigation capability will only work if that vehicle was originally ordered with the navigation option, and therefore received a SD card upon purchase." In other words, you could use a the SD card from your MyFord Touch car in your MyLincoln Touch car only if you order both cars with the navigation option.

• 1 month later...

We took a long drive today.  The GPS crashed and locked the entire sync.  Nothing would work.  Couldn't change screens.  After a few minutes, the sync crashed and rebooted.  But several times today, the GPS showed us off the highway.  Being a Microsoft system, I am expecting the blue screen of death. . .   I've never seen a GPS system that is as buggy as this system.  We took delivery of our C-Max last Friday.

• 3 weeks later...
We took a long drive today.  The GPS crashed and locked the entire sync.  Nothing would work.  Couldn't change screens.  After a few minutes, the sync crashed and rebooted.  But several times today, the GPS showed us off the highway.  Being a Microsoft system, I am expecting the blue screen of death. . .   I've never seen a GPS system that is as buggy as this system.  We took delivery of our C-Max last Friday.

Never used the maps application on the iphone 5? first time I used it, my destination was indicated be int he middle of the San Francisco bay and it got worse from there

• 2 months later...

Yes I am having the issue as well. Hilarious as I am trying to capture the windows error screen that popped on one of these times it happened. Have read several spots in the forum that cars made after January 2013 are having a newer firmware installed at the plant, and some additional hardware changes. Some sort of recall thing may go into effect per what some folks have said on here.