7,500 Mile Report

ScubaDadMiami

This won't be a very exciting report, because there isn't much in the way of bad things that I have to say about my 2013 C-MAX Hybrid, at the 7,500 mile mark.

My C-MAX SEL 303A with Panoramic Roof arrived in the end of May 2013.  Since my purchase, the only modifications or upgrades I have made to my C-MAX are:  Installation of a ProClip with included power connection for my smartphone, adding a CanvasBack cover to the rear cargo area, and installation of Wet Okole seat covers.  I added a covering to the dead pedal by cutting a piece of plastic door mat and then attaching it to the carpet with Velcro.  Lastly, I added a custom license tag.  I have a bunch of LED bulbs that I bought back when everybody was doing the bulb change-outs; I plan on getting to that project, one of these days. 

I am very happy with the small changes I have made to my C-MAX.  They make it even more comfortable and easier to use.  The phone mount keeps things clean, and I don't have power cords cluttering up the area.  The seat covers add additional padding to the seat, which is great on long trips.  The seat covers and cargo area covers are easy to clean, and they keep my interior looking like new. 

At the time of my vehicle's arrival, the only known issue was the need for the update for the kick activation for the liftgate.  As it turned out, my C-MAX was one of the last to leave the factory with this problem; my dealer was able to perform the update within a few weeks of delivery.

Since that time, the only other problem of my C-MAX involved the Panoramic Roof cover.  Whenever I would try to close it, the cover would close but then bounce back open by about a foot.  The dealer changed out a bad part, and there has been no problem since.

As far at MFT goes, I have been pretty lucky.  I have used the system to successfully navigate from Miami to the mountains of western North Carolina, over to Savannah, Georgia, and back down to Miami.  Before the most recent update, I did have some rebooting "updating" issues after vehicle shutdown--never during actual operation or navigation.  Since that update, however, there has not been a single rebooting incident.  I use the steering wheel paddles and voice commands for almost everything I do.  That system has been excellent in performance, with only a few times that things like spoken addresses need some fixing after dictation.

There is one thing has recently developed.  Although I never had a problem with receiving text messages on MFT, for some reason, I am suddenly not getting text messages from my phone coming up on MFT.  I unpaired and repaired my phone, which worked for a while, but the problem has surfaced again.  I have recently rebooted my phone.  I'll have to see if that does the trick.  Strange that this surfaces after never having an incident before.  More to come on this issue, if it continues.

My Lifetime numbers are pretty good, just over 48 MPG.  This includes mostly city driving but with some good highway road trips, too.  During the winter in South Florida, when I ride without using the air conditioner, I get fantastic numbers, good enough to allow me to become a member of the 800+ Mile Club (63+ MPG for the tank).  So, I can't complain about the C-MAX real world fuel economy!

Overall, I love my C-MAX.  It rides great, has great technology, and holds a lot in the cargo area.  Okay, there is one thing I still hate, and that is the dead pedal.  I hate that thing, especially the decision to put it on the driver's side!

So, there you have it.  My results are anecdotal, but you now have one more blip on the reporting scale that you can analyze.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Well done Scuba Dad M!  Sounds like you are on your way to many more miles of eco saving travel.  I'll have to read up on the seat covers even though I find the seats very comfortable still, even on long hauls.  Like the idea for the dead pedal too.  Please post more about the LED project - could be fun - not sure how many others have done that too.

FE just takesa hit from the cold weather up here in Canada, but otherwise your story sure lines up well with my experience up to now (about 28K miles).  My Revmobile keeps going and keeps me comfy/happy all the time.

In the meantime, keep C-MAxing!

Glad the Forum is around to share these as well as the problems and glitches that can happen to any of us.

• 2 months later...

That pedal is there, apparently, because a big cable runs under it. This means that you can't just take it out. Am I incorrect about this?

If they had to put one someplace, why not put it on the side of the passenger? There will always be a driver in the vehicle, but not always a passenger. Unless some safety code (fire fighter extractions, etc.) requires this placement, I wonder why they didn't just run the cable inside of the console that is between the two seats.

• 3 weeks later...