MFT & Alternate Android Messengers

From day one, I never had problems with receiving text messages, until recently.  I've never had a problem streaming music or receiving or sending phone calls--even now.  I am starting to think that the problem is with my Galaxy Note II's stock messenger app, or that there is some Android setting (which I have tried to figure out) that needs a change.  I have no idea why it suddenly became an issue after having no issues ever before. 

I have already unpaired, deleted the contacts, re-paired and re-added the contacts back to MFT.  That seemed to work for a trip or two.  I don't get texts that often, so I am not sure how long after this experiment that it worked, but it certainly was not more than a week or so.  I just restarted the phone, but I haven't been driving when receiving a text since doing this.

If it turns out to be a phone app issue, I would like to consider getting a new messenger app from the Play Store.  Does anybody have recommendation of a favorite a Messenger App that works particularly well with MFT?  Does anybody have an experience with using alternative Messenger Apps with MFT?

Thanks for your help.

I recently had this same issue with both CMax'es and both of our iPhones.  A little to co-inky-dinky if you ask me but I digress.....   Anyway, I found when doing the un-pair/re-pair dance, it worked much better when I powered down the car and phone (restarts) between each step.  They've both been working fine since.

The problem was definitely MFT, not my phone.  I went to settings, and when I touched the messages setting, the screen showed something like "Text Messaging Not Available on this Phone," or something like that.

I deleted the phone from MFT, I deleted Sync from my phone, and I started anew.  Just like the last time, I started getting texts again.

I hope that this little incident was just a hiccup, and that it will not become a regular thing.  Strange that it worked perfectly for so long, and that it suddenly started to do this after such a great run.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

Hey, ScubaDadMiami,

Others have reported this same behavior with their Galaxy Note IIs after the Android update. I have not found a workaround yet, but try a reverse pairing to see if that helps. Here are the instructions:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/reverse-pair-phone-sync-myford-touch

You may also want to try turning your Bluetooth off (on your phone) then back on before entering your vehicle. I have a feeling this was caused by the Android update though.

Rebecca

Hey, ScubaDadMiami,

Others have reported this same behavior with their Galaxy Note IIs after the Android update.

That's what I was thinking at first, but I didn't notice an Android update of recent.  That doesn't mean that there wasn't an update; I probably just didn't notice.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll give them a try.  I'll be looking forward to a MFT update with a fix.  Knowing that there is an issue is the first step toward fixing the problem.  So, I am glad that this has been identified as an issue.

Thanks for your help!

I had a Blackberry Torch and i stopped getting texts also.  I have now just gotten a new phone, HTC One, but have yet to receive a text..I will check it out.

Check your firmware, LizM. The HTC One will not work with texting if it's on firmware 1.29.651.10, but should on others.

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

Text messages quit working with my Galaxy Nexus. It seems like it was about a week, or so, ago. It had worked from day one. Will the try the deleting/unpairing routine to see if it comes back. I carry three other bluetooth devices plus a headset, so I thought I had somehow hosed the different connections on my own. Sometimes it helps to completely wash the blackboard and start over. (I just dated myself, didn't I.)

It's been a couple of days, and things are still working.

Good to hear, ScubaDadMiami!

Text messages quit working with my Galaxy Nexus. It seems like it was about a week, or so, ago. It had worked from day one. Will the try the deleting/unpairing routine to see if it comes back. I carry three other bluetooth devices plus a headset, so I thought I had somehow hosed the different connections on my own. Sometimes it helps to completely wash the blackboard and start over. (I just dated myself, didn't I.)

Let me know how it goes, bemyax.

Rebecca

Does anybody have recommendation of a favorite a Messenger App that works particularly well with MFT?  Does anybody have an experience with using alternative Messenger Apps with MFT?

Isn't the standard SMS text messaging function the only type of messaging that will work with MFT? If there are others I am curious as well since regular texts have a number of limitations.

Rebecca,

I tried deleting all of the bluetooth connections shown. Or I thought I had. I kept getting the message pop up that messaging was not supported on this phone. Finally, I deleted the phone from the dialer screen and deleted Sync from the Nexus, then reconnected. Then the error message no longer appeared. This was just as I was getting out of the CMax the last time, so will see how it works on the next ride. Iowa's DOT tweets road blockages/closures which I can receive via SMS. I resist fiddling with devices while driving, so this is a safe way to get timely information on the road.

David

Edited by bemyax

Isn't the standard SMS text messaging function the only type of messaging that will work with MFT? If there are others I am curious as well since regular texts have a number of limitations.

That is the only one we test; however, some customers have said a few of the texting apps do work. Unfortunately, I don't know which ones.

Rebecca,

I tried deleting all of the bluetooth connections shown. Or I thought I had. I kept getting the message pop up that messaging was not supported on this phone. Finally, I deleted the phone from the dialer screen and deleted Sync from the Nexus, then reconnected. Then the error message no longer appeared. This was just as I was getting out of the CMax the last time, so will see how it works on the next ride. Iowa's DOT tweets road blockages/closures which I can receive via SMS. I resist fiddling with devices while driving, so this is a safe way to get timely information on the road.

David

I'm glad the error went away. If it happens to come back, it may just be a compatibility issue. I'm showing that texting doesn't work on either SYNC system with that phone. Here are the links to both of them:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync-myford-touch

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/device-compatibility-sync

Rebecca

Rebecca,

David

I hope that this works for you. After I deleted from both my phone and Synch, things have been working since re-pairing. I got another text today.

Yeppir. Mine is rolling again, too. However, I'm running CM 11, so I have to patiently wait to grant Sync permissions to access messages and other stuff. That's okay. So often we grant apps and devices carte blanche to get a functionality we want. With enhanced security we'll have to start making harder choices about what's really important.

Check your firmware, LizM. The HTC One will not work with texting if it's on firmware 1.29.651.10, but should on others.

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca..I received a text the other day while driving..so now I know it's possible.  So I had a co-worker send me a text while we were both in the car and It didn't come through the MFT screen.

But, I'm going to take your suggestion of turning the Bluetooth off when I exit the car and turning it back on when I re-enter the car..this may be it.  Cause I think the day I got the text, that is exactly what I had done.

So glad you are helping us, Rebecca! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Turning the BT off and on seems to do the trick.  I am getting texts while i'm driving.  However, a funny thing happened the other day...I received a text one evening that I didn't open all the way on the phone, because I could see the message come up on my phone screen and they were just ending the conversation..saying "good night".  Two days later, I get in the car...and not the first time in the car since receiving that text and when I turn the car on the message come across the MFT as a new text message.  It was just a funny thing..