iPhone using Maps & Google Maps

I've had this question for awhile and have posted before, but never gotten a good answer. Here's another try:

I use an iPhone 5s which is paired with MFT with bluetooth. When I use apple Maps, the turn directions are not relayed through the car's speakers. But with Google Maps, each spoken direction is treated like an incoming phone call, the direction plays over the speakers and then there's the little "call ended" line, until the next direction. So, my question is why? The advantage to me of using Apple Maps is that I can ask Siri for directions, whereas with Google, I have to go through an extra step. Would love to hear an explanation.

Marty

Hi Marty,

When Apple released iOS 7.1, it included support for Hands-Free Profile (HFP) for the Maps app. Google Maps already had it, which is why it worked.

Start navigating with Maps while paired & connected to your stereo. Tap on the map and a blue speaker icon should appear. Tap it and you should get the Navigation Voice page. Set OUTPUT to iPhone.

According to some blogs I read, you should have a toggle to enable HFP. I don't have it, but it works for my iPhone 5... sort of. The first part of each spoken instruction seems to get cut off. I also get a "Call ended" prompt and sometimes voice prompt.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris

Hi Marty,

When Apple released iOS 7.1, it included support for Hands-Free Profile (HFP) for the Maps app. Google Maps already had it, which is why it worked.

Start navigating with Maps while paired & connected to your stereo. Tap on the map and a blue speaker icon should appear. Tap it and you should get the Navigation Voice page. Set OUTPUT to iPhone.

According to some blogs I read, you should have a toggle to enable HFP. I don't have it, but it works for my iPhone 5... sort of. The first part of each spoken instruction seems to get cut off. I also get a "Call ended" prompt and sometimes voice prompt.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris

I will certainly try this next time I'm in the car. Chris, when you say "connected to your stereo", do you mean by usb or by bluetooth? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

How are things at GSP? We sometimes fly out of there in good 'ol Greer.

Marty

Edited by MtnMarty

Use Waze!

I used Waze a while back and didn't find it that great...but, I understand it uses "crowd sourcing" to register traffic problems. But, Google Maps does work except that I can't use Siri to start it going. I imagine Waze would be the same. Nevertheless, I might give Waze another try. Thanks.

Hi Marty,

I meant via BlueTooth for testing HFP.

I am pretty sure that if you are connected via USB, but have the stereo set to something else (e.g. Radio), you get no prompts. Of course if your stereo is set to USB, then you get whatever audio the iPhone is playing, with the voice prompts.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Marty,

I meant via BlueTooth for testing HFP.

I am pretty sure that if you are connected via USB, but have the stereo set to something else (e.g. Radio), you get no prompts. Of course if your stereo is set to USB, then you get whatever audio the iPhone is playing, with the voice prompts.

Thanks!

Chris

Thanks Chris