Ford C-MAX Monthly Sales Chart

kostby

• 1 month later...

837 C-Max Hybrids and 579 C-MAX Energi Hybrids sold in December 2015 for 1416 combined sales.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2016/01/05/december2015sales.pdf

http://www.hybridcars.com/december-2015-dashboard/

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

As always, prior month charts and tables are removed because the latest update contains all prior data.

Edited by kostby

Kostby,

Thanks for keeping this up.  I always find it interesting.

I note that while the Hybrid sales are on a long term decline, the Energi sales are actually on a long term increase.

As a result, Energi sales have risen from small percentages of the total sales early-on, they have been representing about 40% lately!

I have my thoughts on why that is, but I will post those later.

My guess as to why Energi sales are climbing relative to non-Energi sales is that Energi buyers want to get away from oil regardless of price (or really want an electric car) while non-Energi buyers are driven by fuel prices.  If gasoline had gone up a couple of bucks over the last year or so instead of down, sales of both would be skyrocketing.

As Snowstorm has said, we are beginning to see "the end of the ICE age"!

My guess as to why Energi sales are climbing relative to non-Energi sales is that Energi buyers want to get away from oil regardless of price (or really want an electric car) while non-Energi buyers are driven by fuel prices.  If gasoline had gone up a couple of bucks over the last year or so instead of down, sales of both would be skyrocketing.

As Snowstorm has said, we are beginning to see "the end of the ICE age"!

I agree, and I note that the Energi sales are on a long term increase not only relative to Hybrids but also on a long term increase in absolute numbers.

I agree, and I note that the Energi sales are on a long term increase not only relative to Hybrids but also on a long term increase in absolute numbers.

Not sure I'm seeing the absolute number increase of Energi sales.  Looks to me more like a static state of 500 to a 1000 a month; and an absolute number decrease trend of four months.

Nice to see the Hybrid numbers up for December from November (815 to 837); while sadly the Energi numbers were down 60 (639 to 579).

Edited by C-MaxSea

Not sure I'm seeing the absolute number increase of Energi sales.  ...............

Take a long term view.

Look at the 6-month moving average curve for the Energi sales on Kostby's middle chart. 

It moves from absolutely less than 500 for the first half of 2013 to typically over 600 and occasionally near 700 for most of 2015.

Another factor is the incentive plans.   I know in the past Ford has once in a while had big incentives on the energy.  Some say they do that to get their fleet average down.   I have heard of pricing that gave you the Energy for about the same price as the Hybrid.   Any incentives like this recently? 

Right now in TN I can buy a 2016 Energi after FIT credit of $4,007 and state rebate of $1,500 for less than a Hybrid SEL all other things being the same (including Ford / dealer incentives which a quick search indicates no difference).  So, in states where there are tax incentives or rebates to encourage PHEV and EV purchases, my guess is Energi sales will be higher than Hybrid sales.  

Given where gas prices are now (top tier gas is less than $1.60 / gallon here) and likely to be in the next few years, it's difficult economically to justify spending much more for the Energi over the Hybrid OR to justify the purchase of any HEV, PHEV, or EV over a conventional ICE vehicle. 

med_gallery_167_32_15099.png

gallery_167_32_16629.png

If one can live with less cargo room, the Energi is definitely the way to go. When I bought mine in 2014, prices were within a couple of hundred between the base Energi and the SEL. So long as the Feds keep providing the rebate, and with state rebates in a lot of places, I think the Energi is going to keep up. It really evens out the prices. If the rebates end, I think both EVs and PEV are going to start plummeting unless gas goes up significantly.

According to my spreadsheet, I'm still saving about $11 per fill up by driving the Energi vs driving in Hybrid mode, factoring in the cost of my electricity vs the estimated hybrid mileage and current gas prices. I fill up about once every thousand miles or so.  If I were driving hybrid, I'd be filling up twice as often, and the difference would be only $5 per fill up. Some, but not really a lot, equivalent to 1.5 gallons of gas.

Edited by stevedebi

• 3 weeks later...

agreed as there is for sure a direct correlation between the two

hybrid and EV sales are usually lower when gas goes up and SUV and V6/V8 engine car sales go up when gas is low

best to buy a hybrid/ev now that gas is so cheap. you can/should convice the dealer their lot is full of hybrids due to the low gas costs and they are losing money every day the car continue to sit on the lot unsold

It would be interesting to see sales vs fuel prices. 

stevedebi

just wondering do you have a high output 240V charger installed in your house/garage? or do you just use the house plug to slow charge your car and when on the road at an EV station?

btw, when on the road how much does it cost to get an EV fill at one of those EV stations ?

do you have a lot of them (EV stations)in your area? and if so are they usually tied up? not many of them available at many work places unless you work at Apple or Google or Yahoo or Facebook, etc

if you have the fast charger installed how much was it? ive heard around $500-1500 depending on type and dealer and instalation factors

i would think many folks dont factor in the electricity costs in the price and just look at the incentives and state rebate cost and forget they still need to buy "electricity" instead of buying gas for the car whether it be at your house or on the road

If one can live with less cargo room, the Energi is definitely the way to go. When I bought mine in 2014, prices were within a couple of hundred between the base Energi and the SEL. So long as the Feds keep providing the rebate, and with state rebates in a lot of places, I think the Energi is going to keep up. It really evens out the prices. If the rebates end, I think both EVs and PEV are going to start plummeting unless gas goes up significantly.

According to my spreadsheet, I'm still saving about $11 per fill up by driving the Energi vs driving in Hybrid mode, factoring in the cost of my electricity vs the estimated hybrid mileage and current gas prices. I fill up about once every thousand miles or so.  If I were driving hybrid, I'd be filling up twice as often, and the difference would be only $5 per fill up. Some, but not really a lot, equivalent to 1.5 gallons of gas.

Edited by salsaguy

stevedebi

just wondering do you have a high output 240V charger installed in your house/garage? or do you just use the house plug to slow charge your car and when on the road at an EV station?

btw, when on the road how much does it cost to get an EV fill at one of those EV stations ?

do you have a lot of them (EV stations)in your area? and if so are they usually tied up? not many of them available at many work places unless you work at Apple or Google or Yahoo or Facebook, etc

if you have the fast charger installed how much was it? ive heard around $500-1500 depending on type and dealer and instalation factors

i would think many folks dont factor in the electricity costs in the price and just look at the incentives and state rebate cost and forget they still need to buy "electricity" instead of buying gas for the car whether it be at your house or on the road

No, L1 charger here. I charge overnight. The EV stations are generally very expensive, maybe 2 bucks an hour. I only use the very few public chargers that are free.

Someone did a calculation, and it would take 20 years to pay off the difference in price based on the better efficiency of the L2 charger.

Only issue with the slow trickle charger is that unless you can park right up next to your house to be able to plug it in (if you park the car outside and not inside a garage) it will be veru difficult. And if you do park your car outside what do you do if you need to charge when it rains outside? Is it water sealed even when the charge compartment is open or do they discourage you charging in rain?

Edited by salsaguy

Only issue with the slow trickle charger is that unless you can park right up next to your house to be able to plug it in (if you park the car outside and not inside a garage) it will be veru difficult. And if you do park your car outside what do you do if you need to charge when it rains outside? Is it water sealed even when the charge compartment is open or do they discourage you charging in rain?

My garage is ... uh, occupied (by boxes), and I park mine outside the garage. I run the charger under the garage door and plug in next to the garage. Fortunately I have a plug right next to the main garage door. No problems charging in the rain.

Steve, I know what you mean about boxes in the garage. Luckily I still have room for my car (Passat) but its slowly getting overtaken by boxes. Time for major cleanout and reorganization for sure, Its amazing how an empty space gets filled to the max with "stuff". I bet the majority of garages arent for holding cars but instead for  "stuff" :)

Yeah its good to have a plug next to the garage entrance.  Also good to hear you dont have issues charging in the rain

Steve, I know what you mean about boxes in the garage. Luckily I still have room for my car (Passat) but its slowly getting overtaken by boxes. Time for major cleanout and reorganization for sure, Its amazing how an empty space gets filled to the max with "stuff". I bet the majority of garages arent for holding cars but instead for  "stuff" :)

Yeah its good to have a plug next to the garage entrance.  Also good to hear you dont have issues charging in the rain

January 2016 combined sales totaled 987, with 637 C-MAX Hybrids and 350 C-MAX Energi Hybrids sold.

As always, prior month charts and table are removed because the current month update contains all prior data.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2016/02/02/january2016sales.pdf

http://www.hybridcars.com/january-2016-dashboard/

Edited by kostby

• 4 weeks later...

1370 combined C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrids sold during February 2016.

880 C-MAX Hybrids and 490 C-MAX Energi Hybrids were sold.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2016/03/01/february-2016-sales.pdf

http://insideevs.com/february-2016-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

http://www.hybridcars.com/February-2016-dashboard/

If you're interested in detailed market sales figures for C-MAX and Fusion hybrids and plug-in hybrids and Focus Electric against competing products, I suggest reading the hybridcars.com February 2016 dashboard report, linked above.

As always, prior month charts and table are removed because the current chart contains all prior data. I edited the appearance of the charts slightly for readability as the number of months of data increases.

Edited by kostby

• 1 month later...

Combined sales of 1702 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrids during March 2016.

1092 C-MAX Hybrid and 610 C-MAX Energi Hybrids sold in March.

PERSPECTIVE:  

C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrid total less than 3% of Ford US passenger cars and less than 1% of Ford's combined US monthly vehicle sales of cars, trucks, and SUV's in March 2016.

In February 2016, Ford surpassed 100,000 combined C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrid sales in the US, since introduction 43 months ago, in September and October of 2012.

By comparison, in the US in the MONTH of March 2016, Ford sold over 72,000 SUV's, over 72,000 passenger cars (including C-MAX models), and over 99,000 Trucks (F-Series, E-Series, Transit, Transit Connect, and Heavy Trucks) combined, a total of 245,022 vehicles.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2016/04/01/Sales_Release_March_2016.pdf

http://insideevs.com/march-2016-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

As always, prior month charts and table are removed because the current chart contains all prior data. I edited the appearance of the charts slightly for readability as the number of months of data increases.

Edited by kostby

Combined sales of 1702 C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrids during March 2016.

1092 C-MAX Hybrid and 610 C-MAX Energi Hybrids sold in March.

PERSPECTIVE:  

C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrid total less than 3% of Ford US passenger cars and less than 1% of Ford's combined US monthly vehicle sales of cars, trucks, and SUV's in March 2016.

In February 2016, Ford surpassed 100,000 combined C-MAX Hybrid and C-MAX Energi Hybrid sales in the US, since introduction 43 months ago, in September and October of 2012.

By comparison, in the US in the MONTH of March 2016, Ford sold over 72,000 SUV's, over 72,000 passenger cars (including C-MAX models), and over 99,000 Trucks (F-Series, E-Series, Transit, Transit Connect, and Heavy Trucks) combined, a total of 245,022 vehicles.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/2016/04/01/Sales_Release_March_2016.pdf

http://insideevs.com/march-2016-plug-electric-vehicle-sales-report-card/

Probably due to low fuel prices.  Who wants a hybrid when gas is cheap?  Watch what happens when oil prices rebound.

-Dick-

I thought this was interesting.  Looks like it is plug in only but compares all car makes. 

Considering that the C-Max has not really had any refresh to the design the numbers are not too bad.  Still as stated above the overall percentage of Ford sales is so small that it makes sense that Ford has not invested money to refresh it.   I am sure they are focusing on the next generation C-Max and the full electric only Model E.