Historical gas prices

mlsstl

For business reasons, I've always recorded the gas purchases I make. My at-hand records go back to 1998, so it was an easy & fast project to make the graph shown below. I thought others in this forum would find it interesting.

While there have been a few pauses & even a dip here and there, the graph makes it pretty clear the overall trend the past 16 years has been in only one direction, from just over $1 a gallon to the roughly $3.50 a gallon I'm paying now. Heck, I'm old enough to remember that when I started driving at age 16, I got real ticked off whenever gas went over 20 cents a gallon (late 1960s).

Even if one is not a full-tilt environmentalist, money is money and good mileage pays off.

gas_prices_1998_to_2013.jpg

I remember the late 60's and 25 cents a gallon and it was a lot of money because I only got 10-14mpg and I couldn't go very far on a tank. Prices keep inching up to the $4 mark, It motivates me to keep working on MPG mods to improve gas mileage. :)

Paul

Good point about inflation and thanks for the chart. I always find things like that interesting.  However, I know in my personal case that my income hasn't tripled since 1998 to keep up with current gas prices!

As noted in my other posts, I'm still in the car shopping phase (I update cars about every 10 years) but the aspect of the C-Max that I find attractive is the combination of two things - a car that is comfortable & fun to drive along with good mileage. Good MPGs are of nominal interest to me if I have to peddle around in a Prius, but the C-Max would let me shave 40% off my current gas bill and still enjoy driving. I suspect I'll become one of you in a few months.

To be noted on the gas price chart is that adjusted price was steadily dropping (except for that 1981 spike) until 2002 then abruptly shoots up.  The long term trend should have us at $1.50 today, not $3.50.  My approach is to get a car with the lowest long term fuel cost that meets the various other requirements.  The C-Max won for us!  Would have liked an Energi but couldn't give up the space (our SE has been packed to the gills several times).  I have always enjoyed driving but the C-Max is the first car that just keeps me always wanting to "go for another spin"!

missti;  hope you join us soon!

My gasoline costs have gone from about $900 a year driving a Honda Odyssey to about $150 with the Energi (excl 1,000+ mile trips). Electricity use has gone up about $100. Mostly I just enjoy not having to stop at the gasoline pump so often.

The way I read this is that your annual non-long-trip fuel costs are $250 for your Energi. Is that correct? Even the costs with the Honda seem pretty low.

The way I read this is that your annual non-long-trip fuel costs are $250 for your Energi. Is that correct? Even the costs with the Honda seem pretty low.

Yes, about $250 total Energi fuel cost for 5,100 miles the first year vs. about $900 for the 18-24mpg Odyssey for about the same usage, although I don't have a miles number for it but our non-trip usage doesn't really change all that much. I'm basically saving about $600-$700 year having the Energi over the Honda. (My five year Honda average non-trip gasoline costs was $912. "Non-trip" includes 6-8 300 mile RT half-Interstate trips a year.) Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Regarding your first paragraph, that means that has prices are impacting you even more if you're salary hadn't kept up with inflation which is true for most.which is why it's so hard for average people (poor and middle class incomes) to keep up and stay afloat our make any money off investments.

Might be interesting to update the graph for an inflation adjusted price so we can see what that 50 cents price way back when , means to us in today's dollars.

And you are not alone in the "would be buyer" bucket on this forum. I've been here on this forum for over a year reading info and posting and still waiting to get the C-max for my wife. 

Welcome..keep learning all you can here so you are ahead of the mpg game once you do get it.

Good point about inflation and thanks for the chart. I always find things like that interesting.  However, I know in my personal case that my income hasn't tripled since 1998 to keep up with current gas prices!

As noted in my other posts, I'm still in the car shopping phase (I update cars about every 10 years) but the aspect of the C-Max that I find attractive is the combination of two things - a car that is comfortable & fun to drive along with good mileage. Good MPGs are of nominal interest to me if I have to peddle around in a Prius, but the C-Max would let me shave 40% off my current gas bill and still enjoy driving. I suspect I'll become one of you in a few months.

Edited by salsaguy