Need quick help. Away from home--check engine light

MtnMarty

We are 1100 miles from home on Cape Cod and once again the check engine light is on. The car is running fine and I did already check the gas door. I can try to find a Ford dealer tomorrow, but am wondering if there's a way for me to reset it. Can anyone help?

I did find a dealer listing in Hyanis which is not far from where we're staying and could stop in. Don't know how long they would make me wait.

Any advice would be appreciated. Google search was not helpful. Q

Edited by MtnMarty

Resetting the light won't "help" improve whatever caused it to come on so don't fret about trying to reset it especially if the car is not acting up.  

You can try going into the service mode (hold the OK on the left steering wheel down before starting the car) and see if that gives you any codes and search those/let us know.  

You can go to most national chain type auto parts stores and ask them to read the code.  Most will cancel it too.

Edited by fotomoto

Thanks fitomoto. I brought up the diagnostic codes and there were so many that I had to photo them with my iPhone. In googling the codes I have none of the series that I can find like P101 etc. I have things like part number DM5T-EM and Core DM5T-AB etc. other screens show things like State Val #ofVS and off 0. 49. And on. 117 20.

Not very meaningful to me.

And Dave, I LOVE your suggestion.

Marty

PS. I'm averaging close to 46 mpg on this trip and over 48 on my current tank, approaching 600 miles!

For future reference, of the dozen or so left-hand screens of information displayed in Diagnostics mode, only the screen with the heading DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) will have information related to the Check Engine Light. And it still might not have any codes you can locate with Google.

Edited by kostby

Update: took the car into a local repair place where they hooked it up and found the code for the Evac system which is what I got last time. It's reset now and I'll go into my dealer when I return. Obviously something related to the fuel pipe or similar. Thanks for the help.

MtnMarty -

Sorry to hear you are having signs of trouble during a road trip.  fotomoto had some good suggestions.

If you were in Cambridge you could have Click and Clack look at your car.  Their usual suggestion when you get tired of seeing the glow of the check engine light is a piece of black electrical tape.

Yup - I grew up in Lexington (2 towns away from Cambridge) and my wife grew up in Cambridge, and I can attest to this solution as approved by the Magliozzi brothers