NC to Cape Cod and Back--Can you stand another trip report?

MtnMarty

Can you-all stand another trip report?

OK, 16 day trip from NC, with stops in NJ, CT, and MA (Cape Cod)

Total miles driven 2580

Gas: 59 gal

MPG: 44

But those stats don't tell the whole story. Going up, traveling mostly on I-81 and I-78, averaged 47 mpg. Northbound we didn't use A/C much but did go 70-75 on the interstates. Driving around in Cape Cod, got 49 mpg and 600 miles on that tank. But returning the 650 miles from NJ to NC and traveling at 70-75 mph more up than down and in hot weather using A/C, got 38 mpg. So, in short, temperature and speed do make a big difference. Also, the Cape is FLAT!  I was quite pleased with the stats.

BTW, my Maxy has 25000 miles on it and it's going in to the dealer for the restraints recall tomorrow. They're also going to look at the EVAP error codes which seem to pop up. I reported on my adventure with the check engine light from the Cape on this board.

So, I'm a satisfied customer so far.

Marty

...Going up, traveling mostly on I-81 and I-78, averaged 47 mpg. Northbound we didn't use A/C much but did go 70-75 on the interstates.

... But returning the 650 miles from NJ to NC and traveling at 70-75 mph more up than down and in hot weather using A/C, got 38 mpg. ...

Consider the prevailing winds.

In February, we did ~3000 miles, Rochester to Baton Rouge...

-  33.7 mpg going SW, only one (of six) leg above 35 mpg

- 37.7 mpg going NE, with a 5.5F lower ambient temperature, and all legs were above 37 mpg.

I note the last bit because there's a strong temperature dependence for fuel consumption, but not on this trip. It was all direction of travel...

What folks may not appreciate is how far East even NJ is compared with NC, much less Cape Cod! Rochester is due North of Greenville, NC, which is only 20 miles from the ocean (Pamlico River), but has far better barbeque.

HAve fun,

Frank

Consider the prevailing winds.

In February, we did ~3000 miles, Rochester to Baton Rouge...

-  33.7 mpg going SW, only one (of six) leg above 35 mpg

- 37.7 mpg going NE, with a 5.5F lower ambient temperature, and all legs were above 37 mpg.

I note the last bit because there's a strong temperature dependence for fuel consumption, but not on this trip. It was all direction of travel...

What folks may not appreciate is how far East even NJ is compared with NC, much less Cape Cod! Rochester is due North of Greenville, NC, which is only 20 miles from the ocean (Pamlico River), but has far better barbeque.

HAve fun,

Frank

Good point Frank. As a matter of fact, in my many trips to NJ from NC, it's just as far east as it is north. And to Cape Cod, the same is true. Hadn't considered wind.