Sadly, crossing the CMax off my list

mlsstl

Jus

you better get rid of that Van den Plas or else all your savings with your CMax is cancelled out with that Jag

Its funny, when I was a teenager and into cars, with posters all over my room and cut outs from car mags, one of the cars I drooled over and loved the look of was the Jaguar Van Den Plas :)

The new jags (F type) are REALLY gorgeous for sure.

The way I see this, I save on gas and spend it on the beers while I golf. Cheers and again, appreciate your thoughts and sharing them with this forum.

Jus another CMax Fan Boy :drool:

if it came to a choice. Hypermiling the CMax is so much fun especially when I drive past the numerous gas stations here full of big fat SUVs at $4.25 a gallon gas, but occassionally I drive my - umh - my wife's Jaguar Vanden Plas, just to feel the smooth limousine and gentle grunt of her V8 ;) ..read it anyway u like :dance:

Jus

you better get rid of that Van den Plas or else all your savings with your CMax is cancelled out with that Jag

Its funny, when I was a teenager and into cars, with posters all over my room and cut outs from car mags, one of the cars I drooled over and loved the look of was the Jaguar Van Den Plas :)

The new jags (F type) are REALLY gorgeous for sure.

My wife and I were invited to the Galpin Jaguar launch of the F type. So we got up close and personal with the F. Personally, having driven the XK - I'll take that baby over the F. Its more power and I like the more space in a coupe and refinements. The XK Is sweet, sweet, sweet.

SG, my wife cannot be talked out of the Vanden Plas. She drives it for safety as well because she's been t-boned by some AAA driver in the morning who claims to have "never been in such accidents" and admitted liability and then lies afterward, scum. She was OK but it totalled another Vanden Plas and it was a young Vanden Plas as well, only had 40K on it. So she likes a Jag but she does not drive long distances any more.

As long as I keep racking up my 800+ mile tanks to-from work, we are good. Working on my 7th 800 tank now (god knows how many 600s and 700s tanks I had already added to it)...and the CMax is singing pretty in the MPG. I don't know how people only get 36MPG driving city, I really don't but if anyone wants a CMax driving lesson, I would give it...easy peasy, nice & easy...(literally it's that with the right pedal).

To me it feels nice riding in a car built in America, designed by an American company, my C-Max.  My last car was a Toyota built in American but it just didn't feel like I was helping to employ Americans.  

Edited by obob

Dont forget the folks posting about battery issues here on these threads are only a very small sample set of all folks who own CMaxes. 

So very, very true.  

I have worked support on many forums over the decades and always tell people it's like a hospital -- if that was your only experience in life you'd think there weren't any healthy people in the entire world.

Few people will seek out a forum just to say "hey, everything is just fine with me, just letting everyone know!"

You are making a big mistake choosing a Subaru (Who talks about Subaru's anyway) and not the Ford Cmax. I have a 2014 SEL CMax which I have owned since January 2014.  I have not had one single problem with the batteries or anything.  You may need to do your research again. I do agree they had problems with the 2013's but from what my dealer told me the issues were resolved.  Sorry you are making the wrong decision.  Test drive the CMax and you will see what everyone is talking about. 

I understand that one needs to take specialty forums with a grain of salt. In fact, I said that in my original post on the subject. (My experience with the internet goes back a number of years -- I was one of the administrators in the Internet New Users forum on Compuserve back in the 1990s so I think I have a decent feel for how to guage things.)

I've also been following the various forums for the other cars that interest me. There are certainly complaints about the others but none of them involve an issue that is remotely as serious or have as many complaints in relation to the sales volume.

And, for Ponypower, I have driven the C-Max several times and have said that I like it very much -- driving one is what got it on my short list in the first place.

I'm sorry that I've disappointed some of the people here, but I think Ford (or any manufacturer for that matter) benefits as much from knowing why people didn't choose their product as much as knowing why others did. Ford has a great car in the C-Max and I'm sure they'll eventually figure out all of the issues involved. I just don't have enough confidence that they are where they need to be quite yet.

With that, I think I've said about everything I can. I've got no real interest in getting too repetetive or engaging in a debate over opinions.

Hopefully Ford does do some monitoring of these forums, but if you are as savvy as you say you'll understand that most official forums aren't even on any company's radar (I was level 6 on the Apple forum for many years, having racked up over 100,000 answers to people's questions, and while from time to time some Apple employees did come by to help (like FordService does here) there still is no official monitoring of the forums and no attention paid to anyone's complaints or suggestions).

The lack of spare is what it is -- nearly all makers are headed that way and it's unlikely to change.  It seems like the battery problem has been taken care of, so I think it comes down to somewhere in your mind other than those things you have decided the C-Max isn't for you, and that's fine.  We all make our own decisions and sometimes the most important ones are made by our heart and not in our minds (heaven forbid my wife had ever tried to be logical about wanting to marry me :>).  I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you end up with, just like those of us here who have chosen the C-Max are happy in that choice (well, except for the ones who aren't <bg>).

Edited by Kelleytoons

You are making a big mistake choosing a Subaru (Who talks about Subaru's anyway) and not the Ford Cmax. I have a 2014 SEL CMax which I have owned since January 2014.  I have not had one single problem with the batteries or anything.  You may need to do your research again. I do agree they had problems with the 2013's but from what my dealer told me the issues were resolved.  Sorry you are making the wrong decision.  Test drive the CMax and you will see what everyone is talking about. 

The problems with the 2013 Cmax  have not been resolved. Your dealer was wrong.  Ford has not come up  with an answer yet. I know because I have one (built Nov. 8, 2012).  Dead battery twice and now is in the garage probably for a long time.  Starting buyback process soon. 

Edited by Cmax lover

Serious issues??? I think you found the wrong forum then as the one who had SERIOUS (as in killing people serious issues) is GM General Motors, . With cars like Chevy and Buick etc.

Talk about liars and cheats and scoundrels.

You wouldn't catch me dead in one of their dealers even if you paid me to and gave me one of their cats for free.

I'd burn it.wouldn't even sell it and risk someone else dying in one of their death traps.

Ford has issues like all automobile companies but those issues in the CMax are like little gnats compared to the wolves/alligator/piranhas that GM has.

I've also been following the various forums for the other cars that interest me. There are certainly complaints about the others but none of them involve an issue that is remotely as serious or have as many complaints in relation to the sales volume.

I'm sorry that I've disappointed some of the people here, but I think Ford (or any manufacturer for that matter) benefits as much from knowing why people didn't choose their product as much as knowing why others did. Ford has a great car in the C-Max and I'm sure they'll eventually figure out all of the issues involved. I just don't have enough confidence that they are where they need to be quite yet.

With that, I think I've said about everything I can. I've got no real interest in getting too repetetive or engaging in a debate over opinions.

If you car is Nov 2012 build then of course it would have the early problems that many saw. Regardless of when you bought it, what matters is when it was built.

New ones built in the last 4-6 months are very good per user reports here.

The problems with the 2013 Cmax  have not been resolved. Your dealer was wrong.  Ford has not come up  with an answer yet. I know because I have one (built Nov. 8, 2012).  Dead battery twice and now is in the garage probably for a long time.  Starting buyback process soon. 

Edited by salsaguy

I think the forum could do without the straw man arguments. No GM products were ever on my list.

As noted, I simply do not have enough confidence in the car at this point. The fact that others do have confidence is fine for them. Opinions vary about every product ever made and cars are no exception. My original post was just to add my two cents to the conversation -- I've not asked anyone to change their mind.

If you car is Nov 2012 build then of course it would have the early problems that many saw. Regardless of when you bought it, what matters is when it was built.

New ones built in the last 4-6 months are very good per user reports here.

I'd say "are very good" should read "should likely have improved."

It won't take much to improve the JD Powers and CR survey results of the C-Max but we won't know results for MY 2014 for about another year and MY 2013 updates for a few more months.  Absent such data, one can only look at past performance.  Like I said in other posts, improvement in poor initial dependability, reliability may take several annual surveys to show up.  Also, one needs to remember that the results of the surveys are compared against other brands and models for ranking purposes.  So, IMO (based on past performance), it will be unlikely that Ford will make it to the upper level (ie, "very good") in dependability, reliability anytime soon.  Ford needs to "get it right" initially not later.  Time will tell. :)

One thing that doesn't get discussed much here in this forum is that the C-Max handles really really well and is a fun car to wiz around in.  Since it is short it is easy to change lanes in traffic (and park).  But it is roomy.   I don't know how important that is to other people, but not all cars have fun.  Reminds me of VW's Fahrvergnügen.

Edited by obob

I am new but I thought the battery issue was tied to people not using the gas engine and the battery never getting charged.  The only solution would be to monitor the battery and force the engine to come on, the same way the  Energi has a stale gas sensor that will make the gas engine run if the gas is over a year old.

I would think if it was a real issue that most of the folks that had  Energis and made short trips would be having issues, the long term for  Energis would be to route some of the voltage from the wall to charge the 12V battery

Serious issues??? I think you found the wrong forum then as the one who had SERIOUS (as in killing people serious issues) is GM General Motors, . With cars like Chevy and Buick etc.

Talk about liars and cheats and scoundrels.

You wouldn't catch me dead in one of their dealers even if you paid me to and gave me one of their cats for free.

I'd burn it.wouldn't even sell it and risk someone else dying in one of their death traps.

This forum (and this post) isn't about GM 

Yes, Ford has had SERIOUS issues.  The SE had unacceptable battery problems.  There's no getting around this fact.  And GM had serious problems too.  And Toyota.  That billion dollar fine must have hurt.

I am grateful Mlsstl added his articulate thoughts.  I don't happen to agree with them--but I didn't agree with my dad when he was about to buy an Infinity G35 and found an "average" rear crash test result which became a dealbreaker (he later bought a Volvo).  There is a certain type of person who is highly cautious and frankly, buying a C-max hybrid does involve more of a "risk" than buying a Toyota Corolla.  Ultimately, not everyone wants to deal with the potential teething problems of a new build.

Aside from my C-Max (which I've had very good luck with: no major repair/battery problems), I've got to say that my favorite car was my Subaru Legacy (circa 1989).  That was my first NEW "luxury" car, and it ran like a dream. The C-Max isn't for everyone. but I've enjoyed being one of the first "pioneer" owners.

My C-Max presented two kinds of 12 V battery problems.  One I caused by leaving things on like the radio or some lights while I was doing mod work on the car.  The other was un-explainable total shut down.  Both were rectified with a surprisingly short time on a battery charger.  However, after the second event of type 2, a trip to the dealer got them to recognize the situation and the service report shows "REFLASH FCDIM" (Front Control Display Interface Module).  That seems to be a permanent fix.  Now, for many months and several thousand miles Battery things have been just fine and I really enjoy the car and the real 46 - 48 mpg.  Too harsh to reject the car and cheat yourself out of a great ride because of the fixable battery issues.

Edited by marshtex2

Good luck to the person buying the Subaru - I unloaded my 2012 Impreza that was just 2 years old this past weekend.  The car was losing a quart of oil every 2,500 miles and essentially the dealer (and owner's manual) says that Subaru says it is acceptable for the vehicle to use a quart of oil every 1,200 miles.  I have been on long distance trips when the oil light came on and then, instead of attending the event I drove 300 miles, I spent my time looking for a Subaru dealer.  No more Subaru's for me.

I appreciate both the original post, and the owners defending their purchase decision to buy a C-Max.  Believe it's good for everyone ultimately.

In the market for a car, the C-Max is great!    

The few humps are ..... the no spare tire / battery /reliability ratings / the fact that it's newer to the Hybrid game.  (vs Toyota)

I don't JUST drive 8-5 in the city and burbs, and have had to change a few flats, one at midnight on a "lonely" hwy,lol.   I cursed, but it now sounds better than ...... praying for cell service, making some emergency phones calls, recordings, re-directs, and waiting for emerg service guy.  Then how much will a tire run you in that situation IF anything is open?

Thanks for all the info!   Regardless of above, I'm still interested in C-Max.   :)

btw: is there a video on the tire fix kit thing?

Edited by Rick

If the tire thing *really* worries you you could always put one in the back -- cost you a bit and take up some room but that's the tradeoff you'd make anyway (IOW, any other vehicle will also cost more and lose room in that manner).

I haven't changed a flat in three decades and have no desire to start now so it don't worry me none <g>.