MAXIMUM EV OUTPUT?

BIG ROCCO

Our 2013 Hybrid has always had a maximum electric output of about 2 bars, or 2KW, before the gasoline engine kicks in, even when the battery is fully charged.  I was recently in a friends 2013 hybrid and he seems to have a maximum of 2 1/2 to maybe 3 bars.  What do others see?  Do you think I might need a software update?  I think the last one we had installed was the one that allows EV mode over 62MPH...maybe last Summer?

Depends on SOC.

On a low SOC, EV charging will go to about 2.5.

On a medium SOC, 2 bar is about the limit.

Anything above 3/4 SOC and almost peaking will mean 1.5 limit. Hey, as I posted in another thread, if you are running 80% SOC, feel free to go hard in the acceleration to leverage the battery to help you accelerate quickly and save the gas.

Hope this helps.

Our 2013 Hybrid has always had a maximum electric output of about 2 bars, or 2KW, before the gasoline engine kicks in, even when the battery is fully charged.  I was recently in a friends 2013 hybrid and he seems to have a maximum of 2 1/2 to maybe 3 bars.  What do others see?  Do you think I might need a software update?  I think the last one we had installed was the one that allows EV mode over 62MPH...maybe last Summer?

I'm assuming by your description that you have the "instantaneous MPG" display turned on. Perhaps he has it turned off. Remember that the bars are not equal to a specific kW number, but they represent a percentage of maximum power. On the Empower screen with instantaneous MPG turned on each bar is about 16 kW. If you turn the instantaneous MPG off then you have more bars and thus each bar represents a different number of kW because each one now represents a lower percentage of total power.

Depends on SOC.

Jus, you're thinking in terms of how much ICE power you can apply while still charging. The OP's asking the opposite, what's the most EV can you apply without starting the ICE? Even in EV+, I only get 2 bars.

Otherwise, +1 to everything you said...

HAve fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Figured it out - my friend was using Engage - I normally like Empower.  Max EV output on Empower is 2 bars, but by switching to Engage, with the accelerator pedal unchanged, the EV readout jumps to 2 1/2+ bars...not sure the reasoning for changing scales between MyView screens, but that is the explanation for what I saw

Edited by BIG ROCCO