Need a replacement for my 2013 SEL Nav/Radio/Touch screen unit

I might be the first on this forum to have this problem, but I doubt it.   My Radio/Infotainment system (and I use that term loosely) finally got the better of me, and then I got the better of it, Sort of.   The screen repeated came in contact with my hand which just happened to be in a fist position moving rapidly forward towards the screen in a desperate attempt to get said (former) screen to recognize either the iPhone via BlueTooth or My USB Cable.   After several repeated contact my fist was unable to convince the unit it should work properly, and the apparently went on an untruly unnecessary  strike.   Good thing the display is shatter proof of the little gremlin bastards running it from inside would have been shattered by the shreds of  sharp plastic in what I can only describe as excessive over action to my reasoned albeit physical response, the screen gremlins refuse to allow the Screen to all my to get back to enjoy being led over Hell and Half of Georgia when only trying to find the other side of Atlanta or even the adjacent neighborhood 

It seems ridiculous poring goof money in after bad, given the plethora of after marked radios/CD/Nav on the market.  Not entire sure how much s salvageable given that some functions work in the dash.

Did I See a comment earlier from another  poster regarding a Double Din unit as being required to nake this work..   

Come on guy, admit what you did and tell me how you got out of this mess.  Is there a way to buy a Double Din unit and put in a standard Double Din unit that would likely be able to find fast route and are not shorter than slow route, or route that are not there at all.  !0 old technology did better navigation stuff that this beast.

Joel   

2013 C-Max SEL with B level - no foot activators or any fancy stuff, just pending an anger management meeting she thinks I need.  

post-507-0-26480800-1413770939_thumb.jpg

Wow -- seriously?

You must be young -- while I have to admit in my old age there is great satisfaction in smacking some things (I've found that both the pool pump control board AND our dryer electronics membrane board "respond" to a well timed smack and then work -- and this weekend the dryer finally stopped so we are replacing it) I would *never* hit a computer.  It would be like striking a nun -- just not in my DNA. LOL.

Since I use almost exclusively the voice commands and since MFT functions superbly for me when doing so, I don't understand that frustration at all.  My own advice would be to get it replaced with... (wait for it) another MFT front end, and then try and learn how to use it properly.  Or, more seriously (and please don't get mad and want to smack me) I would suggest you really aren't the sort that should be owning these sort of things.  Get yourself a portable GPS and whatever passes nowadays for a walkman (something that puts out sound through built-in speakers) and use those in the car.  That way, when you get mad (and you will -- as a former therapist I can promise you this will not change) you can just throw them out the window (and please only do so when you are at a complete stop).

Wow -- seriously?

You must be young -- while I have to admit in my old age there is great satisfaction in smacking some things (I've found that both the pool pump control board AND our dryer electronics membrane board "respond" to a well timed smack and then work -- and this weekend the dryer finally stopped so we are replacing it) I would *never* hit a computer.  It would be like striking a nun -- just not in my DNA. LOL.

Since I use almost exclusively the voice commands and since MFT functions superbly for me when doing so, I don't understand that frustration at all.  My own advice would be to get it replaced with... (wait for it) another MFT front end, and then try and learn how to use it properly.  Or, more seriously (and please don't get mad and want to smack me) I would suggest you really aren't the sort that should be owning these sort of things.  Get yourself a portable GPS and whatever passes nowadays for a walkman (something that puts out sound through built-in speakers) and use those in the car.  That way, when you get mad (and you will -- as a former therapist I can promise you this will not change) you can just throw them out the window (and please only do so when you are at a complete stop).

Appreciate the reply, if not the comment.  Proper usage was not the issue.  The failing of USB and BT recognition was my final trigger.  I would appreciate comments specific to the original request regarding replacement units.  GPS is not the issue, as Google maps is far more useful than the pathetic version Ford has.   My 2003 car with GPS was far better at that task than this thing ever was.  

Okay but...

The newer Garmin's *will* recognize your phone and pair via bluetooth (and even via USB if you so desire) and that was my point.  You really ought to get something you can easily replace rather than try and put something inside your car that (leaving aside the anger issues for a moment) might fail you and then need to be easily and simply disposed of and substituted for.  If not Garmin, then a similar, *portable* type of replacement.

Again, all punching aside, these sorts of things will definitely have issues -- ALL of them, and a built-in $$$ solution just doesn't make sense for someone like yourself (this isn't a put down -- some folks have more patience than others.  Right now, for example, my 6 Plus won't receive calls via bluetooth although it works properly otherwise.  It ain't the MFT -- this issue is with a lot of makes of cars and Apple will have to fix -- but I am willing and able to wait for it to be fixed even though my 4s worked just fine).

Only when a more integrated solution like Apple Play is available for all vehicles will we see a lot more ease with this stuff (but even that, as good as it will be for those of us who like iOS devices, may still pose problems for Android users).  It just goes with the territory that trying to accommodate all these different things isn't easy, particularly for a car maker who really shouldn't be in the computer business anyway.

(BTW, this reminds me of this story 

)

I don't have an answer to your direct question about getting a double din unit to replace the MFT. I did google it and it did come up as a topic for other Ford cars.  Let us know what you come up with.  

I also seen another post on here about Apple changing something on the latest release that may have issues with connectivity for MFT.  Not sure if this was your problem or not.  I have been able to connect with the phone and Bluetooth stereo with my Android phone.  I know there are many iphone users here too so I am not sure what is different on your phone.  

Good luck

Link

There are some spectacular installations out there on the internet---some guys have installed Navs, tablets, laptops even in their dashes and made them look factory professional.  But you have to have a feel for it, as well as patience and time.  I've taken an Audi dashboard out and it was no picnic. 

Having said that, Pioneer makes a great single-DIN DVD player that opens out and then up--very. James Bond.  You can also hook it up to a Pioneer NAV.  Assuming a double-DIN doesn't fit in there.

• 1 month later...

If there is no dash kid for the MFT, which it doesent look like there is, you will need a custom solution which is big $$$$. Probably more than just replacing the unit through the dealer. Also, if you go aftermarket you loose EVERYTHING. All the OEM integration with the climate controls, radio info on the HUD, phone info on the HUD, integrated steering wheel controls, everything. You wont have any of that. You can retain the bluetooth, although you wont be able to use the OEM mic. You can get navigation, but you wont be able to use the OEM GPS antenna. Some headunits will allow limited integration of the steering wheel controls, but it usually requires more hardware which is more money.

So just keep in mind if you dont replace it with OEM you will loose a significant amount of the features that came with the unit. But on the upside, higher end double din headunits from aftermarket are much nicer than OEM, and the navigation is typically superior.

IT might be worth looking at one of those "national" junk yard websites that link many junk yards together on one website. If you can find a totaled CMAX somewhere, you could probably snag the headunit for a deal and have it mailed to you. That would likely be the cheapest option. Also check ebay.

Edited by SPL Tech

Just saw your post, and I did the exact same thing you suggested.    Contacted a local car audio shop and they were very unenthusiastic, and  started throwing out big numbers.

Found this used car parts site:  http://car-part.com

Ordered the Display part for about $160.  Helpful guy on the other end of the phone helped direct me to the correct part.  Watched YouTube videos on how to access the display.  The best site was from a place to bypass the lock out on watching Video or Entering addresses into the nav while the car is in motion.   

Part came in yesterday and went in this morning, just like on the video.   Did not disconnect the  car battery because I did not want to re-enter everything.   Powered up and works perfectly.   Except that my iPhone 6 STILL does not connect via blu tooth, which is what started this entire mess in the first place!    Think I'll just leave a USB cable in the center box.

I appreciate everyone's comments, even my psychotherapist's Kelleytoon's input.   

Bottom line is replacing the Display was not as hard or expensive as I thought.