long-term storage?

SPL Tech

I am only going to be using my C-Max about four to five months of the year. The other eight months it will sit outside in the winter snow in North Dakota. I can get someone to start the vehicle every month, but will the ICB charge the HV if the HV is not depleated, or does one have to actually drive the vehicle? Also, how long could it go without being started before the HV dies?

I know that I need to disconnect the 12V battery, and I have a charger to charge it once I drive the vehicle again. But what about the HV battery? Can it last nine months without dying? I can remove the battery and put it inside a friends house to keep it out of the cold if that will help.

Edited by SPL Tech

Seems to me this is a good question for the Ford rep that monitors this sight to find the answer to. How long can the HVB be left idle?  IIRC, lithium ion batteries can  lose about 5% charge per month (I assume this applies to the C-Max HVB too).  Also, I believe the owner's manual is silent on the HVB when storing the C-Max (this may mean there is no issue with the HVB).

ICE will run when the car is started in cold weather.  AFAIK, ICE should then charge the HVB if it needs to be charged without driving the car.  I think the bigger issue will be the 12 V battery. One needs the 12 V battery connected to start the car.  I think the self discharge rate of a lead acid battery can be greater than 5% a month. There has been much discussion on the SOC of the 12 V battery.  It appears that the C-Max charging algorithms may not fully charge the 12 V battery to 100% SOC as many have observed when taking voltage readings across the battery.  So, I would put the 12 V battery on a smart charger to keep it fully charged continuously to ensure the 12 V battery will be charged sufficiently to start the C-Max.

There was a member that stored their car for a longer period of time (a few months IIRC).  I can't recall how everything went.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Is there a way to force the ICE to start and charge the HV while in the ready mode? Today I left the car in ready mode and it dident start for 30 minutes. The car waited until the HV drained to start.

I suggest you download the owner's manual as one can search it for information.  From the owner's manual.  

"The engine may not start because this hybrid vehicle is equipped with
silent key start. This fuel saving feature allows your vehicle to be
ready-to-drive without requiring the gas engine to be running. This
indicator will remain on while the vehicle is on, whether the engine is
running or not to indicate the vehicle is capable of movement (using its
electric motor, engine, or both). Typically, the engine will not start unless
the vehicle is cold, a climate control change is requested, or the
accelerator is pressed."

What I don't know is how long ICE might run after ICE is running.  There's no question in mine, ICE will run if one pushes the accelerator pedal.  I've never tried changing the climate control setting nor don't recall if ICE ever started when the vehicle was "cold" but cold for me is about 55 F in the garage.

Is there a way to force the ICE to start and charge the HV while in the ready mode? Today I left the car in ready mode and it dident start for 30 minutes. The car waited until the HV drained to start.

Just curious as to why you would want to do this? The ICE uses gasoline, and the whole point of the hybrid system is to reduce the need for gasoline by assisting the engine whenever possible, especially at low speeds where the Atkinson cycle engine is not so efficient.