What octane gas do you use?

Laurel

The Prius guys who are fanatical about mileage are very careful to no use gas with alcohol content. They claim, correctly, that it will reduce gas mileage by several mpg. This is due to alcohol having less energy per gallon than gasoline. Sometimes the 89 stuff will not have alcohol when the 87 does. Other times you need to know what companies carry real gasoline.

The Prius guys who are fanatical about mileage are very careful to no use gas with alcohol content. They claim, correctly, that it will reduce gas mileage by several mpg. This is due to alcohol having less energy per gallon than gasoline. Sometimes the 89 stuff will not have alcohol when the 87 does. Other times you need to know what companies carry real gasoline.

Can you still find gas stations that do have 10% ethanol content? Every gas station I've filled up at now always have the disclaimer for the ethanol mix.

Can you still find gas stations that do have 10% ethanol content? Every gas station I've filled up at now always have the disclaimer for the ethanol mix.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/

However by looking at that site it seems like I would burn more gas going to get a fill up than it would ever save taking the ~2mpg hit from an ethanol mix. I suspect this is because of the regulations in many areas which require seasonal blends or some other blended fuel. Here is a map showing the various regulations and the areas where they apply (it does not explain what the regs are though):

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

I just use the "regular" gas and am at 42mpg average currently (indicated).

Edited by CNCGeek

• 2 weeks later...

The dealer put Premium in for my first tank and I did get my best mpg. I'm guessing a 1-2 mpg improvement and might try again when I've tried everthing else. Total avg 44.6 mpg and 50% EV. For this tank 45.5 mpg and 60%EV. There are a few stations in the greater Atlanta area that have ethanol free gas and charge more than premium for it. I might try that too.

Edited by ptjones

• 2 weeks later...

I changed to premium gas (91) last time, and it DEFINITELY for 100% sure improved mileage (at least 2 - 4 mpg but maybe more). It is in California and regular gas has 10% of etanol (alchohol).

On the other hand, in mountains areas, using Premium gas dont make any sense at all, even from Octane number point of view (actually you can use Gas 87 in ANY car above 6000 - 8000 ft - this explains why some nointains gas stations has regular gas only).

My last fill up was with E0, 90 octane, and 12.1 gallons.  I've driven about 125 miles, all short trips around town doing errands.   I'm currently at about 47.3 mpg.  My previous fill up was E10, 87 octane and 43 mpg.  I started using the pulse and glide method with this tank of gas, so I can't really say how much the E0 contributed to the increase, maybe half?  Even if the entire increase was attributed to E0, I might save i gallon of gas on a ten gallon fill up, which would cost me an extra $5.00 over 87 regular. 

Here's an article on pulse and glide:  http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224