Check Fuel Filler Inlet

From the manual:

If the fuel fill inlet was not properly closed, a Check Fuel Fill Inlet

message may appear on the information display screen. At the next

opportunity, do the following:

1. Safely pull off the road.

2. Put the vehicle in P (Park) and turn the ignition off.

3. Open the fuel filler door and remove any visible debris from the fuel

fill opening.

4. Insert either the fuel fill nozzle or the fuel fill funnel provided with the

vehicle several times to dislodge any debris and/or allow the inlet to

close properly.

If this action corrects the problem, the message may not reset

immediately. It may take several driving cycles for the message to turn

off. A driving cycle consists of an engine start-up (after four or more

hours with the engine off) followed by city/highway driving. Continuing

to drive with the message on may cause the service engine soon lamp to

turn on as well.

Edited by zhackwyatt

From the manual:

Thanks, I read that in the manual too and I tried to reset the warning light. Including using the funnel and a sugestion from another Ford forum with this issue to clean the inside of the inlet seal. Still the problem persists, I am currently out of town but my step-daughter has driven the C-Max numerous times like described in the manual but the error light stays on.

I am currently driving my Passat TDI on my trip while my new less than 1000 mile C-Max sits at home with this error till Tuesday when I drop it by the dealer.

I don't usually post anything but I get a lot of great information from forums like this so I felt obligated to respond. I'm glad you didn't take it on your trip as I had a similar issue. I also had the check fuel filler inlet message. I tried to correct it by messing around with the inlet to no avail. It was a Friday and I wasn't overly concerned about it so I figured I'd take it in on Monday. I had just over 1,00 miles on it. Saturday we went into town and at 1,050 miles the check engine light came on. Now I had both messages showing up. I immediately took it to the dealer. The dealer was unable to do anything with it on Saturday but gave me a loaner. On the following Thursday they called to tell me it was done. When I picked it up they told me that it had to do with the emmission system and that they replaced a "purge valve" and a "shut off valve". I now have about 2,200 miles on it and haven't had the problem since. I don't know how serious it really was but was relieved to have it corrected. The two items listed on the work order were as follows:

AU5Z-9C915-C VALVE ASY

FV6Z-9D333-A HOSE - CONNECT

I can also provide the statement of what they did if you want it but I figured I wouldn't type it out unless you needed it. Hope this helps...

I don't usually post anything but I get a lot of great information from forums like this so I felt obligated to respond. I'm glad you didn't take it on your trip as I had a similar issue. I also had the check fuel filler inlet message. I tried to correct it by messing around with the inlet to no avail. It was a Friday and I wasn't overly concerned about it so I figured I'd take it in on Monday. I had just over 1,00 miles on it. Saturday we went into town and at 1,050 miles the check engine light came on. Now I had both messages showing up. I immediately took it to the dealer. The dealer was unable to do anything with it on Saturday but gave me a loaner. On the following Thursday they called to tell me it was done. When I picked it up they told me that it had to do with the emmission system and that they replaced a "purge valve" and a "shut off valve". I now have about 2,200 miles on it and haven't had the problem since. I don't know how serious it really was but was relieved to have it corrected. The two items listed on the work order were as follows:

AU5Z-9C915-C VALVE ASY

FV6Z-9D333-A HOSE - CONNECT

I can also provide the statement of what they did if you want it but I figured I wouldn't type it out unless you needed it. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the update. I will post back what they find.

Update 11.13.2012

Dealer is having to replace parts and the C-Max will be in the shop for at least 2 more days. Dealer provided me with a 2013 Escape 1.6L Ecoboost until my C-Max is repaired.

Edited by darrelld

• 1 year later...

No big deal. Galpin will hook you up. I heard they are good.

I know Galpin will. However my real issue is right now, my check engine is on and I have 250 miles STILL to get home. So much for the 1,000 miles buffer till the check engine. ..mine was like 5 miles. Sssssh Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Thanks Laurel, I was packing when I saw that Check Engine light...so for this thread - that 1,000 mile buffer is NOT solid, it will come on when it wants to.

Now, here's the TWISTER...I usually tank up at the Indian place north of Independence on thw way back. After filling her up, both Check Engine & Check the Fuel Line Inlet were GONE. I'll see if it comes up tomorrow but I need to send Maxine to Galpin anyway for the recall updates anyway. The error codes should be there...this one was a real puzzle. ICE and EV was fine, neither one missed a heart beat...and I still had fun.

So far 2 trips to Mammoth has resulted in 2 issues - one was a flat! The shop I took it to at Mammoth could not find diddly-squat in the tire so I drove back 290 miles back to my regular tire shop and they found it. Luckily I didn't pay anything. As it turns out, to find a real puncture in a tire it's best to use a water tank which most -apparently- tire shops do not use. They use a squirt bottle or visual inspection. That was not good enuf. Luckily I made it back with my family OK and we did stop twice to check the tire pressue (good use of the digital reader that one of the guys recommended here). It was a wee loss but we continued.

And now this trip - this. Hmmh...I wonder if there is a message in there...

Edited by Jus-A-CMax