Noise when opening door is gone

scottwood2

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone knows what device this is? 

I have noticed since day one that when I open my drivers door after the car has been off for some time that there is a noise like a pump starting up.  It seems to build up pressure or something and stops making noise.  This takes about 5 seconds or so. 

I have noticed from time to time that it does not sound healthy and makes a strange noise that changes during this 5 seconds or so.  I was thinking maybe the fuel pump but I could be wrong.  the noise comes from the engine compartment area. 

Now the noise is completely gone.  Car is still working fine, I think.  It has been about a week now.  I don't see anything that does not seem normal.  Any ideas on what this noise is? 

Thx

Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone knows what device this is? 

I have noticed since day one that when I open my drivers door after the car has been off for some time that there is a noise like a pump starting up.  It seems to build up pressure or something and stops making noise.  This takes about 5 seconds or so. 

I have noticed from time to time that it does not sound healthy and makes a strange noise that changes during this 5 seconds or so.  I was thinking maybe the fuel pump but I could be wrong.  the noise comes from the engine compartment area. 

Now the noise is completely gone.  Car is still working fine, I think.  It has been about a week now.  I don't see anything that does not seem normal.  Any ideas on what this noise is? 

Thx

That is probably the electronics cooling pump, it pressurizes. Or it could be the braking system pressurizing. You probably just are not noticing the pump. I hear the noise if I'm listening for it.

Edited by stevedebi

That is probably the electronics cooling pump, it pressurizes. Or it could be the braking system pressurizing. You probably just are not noticing the pump. I hear the noise if I'm listening for it.

Thx for the reply.  This pump has been very noticeable until now. I showed the car to someone at the house and as soon as he opened the door the pump started and he said right away "what is that?".  Maybe it became more broke in and is quiet now.  This is usually in my garage so it is pretty quiet in there.  Maybe I should go to the dealer and listen to other C-Max's. 

Talked to one of my co-workers who owns a C-Max too.  He said he hears this pump or something running under the hood all the time when he opens the drivers door.  

I called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in.  He asked me if I would normally hear the pump only first thing in the AM or every time.  I think it is every time but I am not sure now.  I know I hear it in my garage in the AM but I think I have heard it other times as well. 

Talked to one of my co-workers who owns a C-Max too.  He said he hears this pump or something running under the hood all the time when he opens the drivers door.  

I called the dealer and made an appointment to take it in.  He asked me if I would normally hear the pump only first thing in the AM or every time.  I think it is every time but I am not sure now.  I know I hear it in my garage in the AM but I think I have heard it other times as well. 

scottwood2,

I’ll be happy to get this escalated. Please PM your full name, VIN, dealer name, mileage, and best daytime phone number.

Once this info is received, you’ll be connected to a customer service manager for your region to assist.

What date is your C-Max Hybrid scheduled to go into the dealer?

I’ll be here if you need me, and have a great day!  :) 

Tricia   

There is nothing wrong.  That is the brake actuator pump priming the system up to pressure.  Remember, since the car can run without the ICE,  all subsystems must be able to function without it operating.  So, the brakes, airconditioning, power steering, etc all electrically powered.  The brake system uses the door opening as its "cue" to prime so the vehicle is ready to drive by the time its powered up and put in gear.  

There is nothing wrong.  That is the brake actuator pump priming the system up to pressure.  Remember, since the car can run without the ICE,  all subsystems must be able to function without it operating.  So, the brakes, airconditioning, power steering, etc all electrically powered.  The brake system uses the door opening as its "cue" to prime so the vehicle is ready to drive by the time its powered up and put in gear.  

Thx for the reply.

I think I either did not explain what is happening well or I am missing something here. 

I understand the system and a lot of pumps etc having to be electric.  I have heard a pump go off when I open the door for since the car was new.  You said it is the brake actuator pump, that would make sense to me.  What does not make sense to me is the fact that I don't hear this pump anymore.  I started hearing noises that sounded like a bad pump to me and now it is always silent. 

I think when you said "there is nothing wrong", you were referring to hearing a pump when i open the door and not the fact that this sound being gone now? 

Please clarify.  Thx

PS is it possible for this pump to be bad and not get an warning that dealer service is needed?

Thx again and I really like the support we get here! 

Thx for the reply.

I think I either did not explain what is happening well or I am missing something here. 

I understand the system and a lot of pumps etc having to be electric.  I have heard a pump go off when I open the door for since the car was new.  You said it is the brake actuator pump, that would make sense to me.  What does not make sense to me is the fact that I don't hear this pump anymore.  I started hearing noises that sounded like a bad pump to me and now it is always silent. 

I think when you said "there is nothing wrong", you were referring to hearing a pump when i open the door and not the fact that this sound being gone now? 

Please clarify.  Thx

PS is it possible for this pump to be bad and not get an warning that dealer service is needed?

Thx again and I really like the support we get here! 

Well, it has got to be working or you'd have no brakes. Not sure why the sound has decreased. But if anything is actually wrong, the car will throw a yellow wrench light in short order, and probably not work anymore. As others have said, take it to the dealer if you feel uncomfortable.

Could be the cold, I suppose. I no longer notice mine, but then my 2008 FEH also did the same noises.

Please clarify.  Thx

Ahh, OK. Diagnosing sound issues over the internet is nearly impossible.  Like stevedebi said, you've got working brakes and no CEL's so I'm not sure what, if anything, is wrong.  I've pretty much tuned mine out so I'm not sure if mine has changed in pitch and/or levels over time.  Do they get quieter with break in?  I don't think so.  These electric brake pumps can go bad over time so it's highly unusual to have an issue so early on.

Since it could be a safety issue, please take it in if you are unsure and let us know the results.

Mine will only make the pump noise if I open the door after my CMAX has been sitting long enough after shutting down.

Good point. It remains pressurized for some time, I'm not sure how long.

Just step on your brake pedal a half dozen + times and the brake vacuum pump will come on (no key needs to be in the vicinity).  

So scottwood2, try it and see it you hear the vacuum pump come on.  That is the only noise I hear occasionally when I open the door.

fotomoto, I forgot to mention it's not a "pressure" pump but a "vacuum" pump for the brake booster.  If you open the hood, you'll note that the sound emanates from the right, front of the engine. You will still have friction brakes even if the vacuum pump fails but with no vacuum it will take a lot more effort on the brake pedal to engage the friction brakes.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Just step on your brake pedal a half dozen + times and the brake vacuum pump will come on (no key needs to be in the vicinity).  

So scottwood2, try it and see it you hear the vacuum pump come on.  That is the only noise I hear occasionally when I open the door.

fotomoto, I forgot to mention it's not a "pressure" pump but a "vacuum" pump for the brake booster.  If you open the hood, you'll note that the sound emanates from the right, front of the engine. You will still have friction brakes even if the vacuum pump fails but with no vacuum it will take a lot more effort on the brake pedal to engage the friction brakes.

I tried it and a pump did come on after 7 presses of the brake pedal.  I tried it a second time and it did not come on until I turned the key to the on position.  

I also noticed that I hear a clunk sound when I open the door.  Sounds like it is trying to turn on a pump but it does not turn on.  

It is going in on Friday and we will see what they find.  

Thx for the replys

I tried it and a pump did come on after 7 presses of the brake pedal.  I tried it a second time and it did not come on until I turned the key to the on position.  

I also noticed that I hear a clunk sound when I open the door.  Sounds like it is trying to turn on a pump but it does not turn on.  

It is going in on Friday and we will see what they find.  

Thx for the replys

Yes, that sounds like a relay operating. I hear it also. But that's likely normal as the door opening triggers al sorts of events.

So the vacuum pump was the sound you referred to in your first post?