C-max test drive today

RachelnLa

You lucky duck! You already have yours and some of us have at least two weeks to wait (ordered mine Oct.5th). I was waiting for your post and hoping we hadn't built it up too much--fearing you might not like it. What colour? What model? How was the sales person? Did you get a briefing on all the features and the Myford Touch etc?

Thanks. I am having trouble sleeping. Buyers remorse? Excitement? BOTH??

We drove to Tx since our town and state (La) had no C-maxs. It's about 45 mins away. The sales lady was great. We are each getting the SEL loaded for the grand price of 28k each. I couldn't believe it. Mine is pearl white with black leather. It was the car on the lot and at that price i couldnt pass it up. Dad hasn't decided on his yet. I think he wants pearl with tan interior. He will drive the car on Monday while I am at work and we will go back on Tuesday to hammer out the fine details of the trade in of our vehicles etc.

I love the car. Of all the cars we have looked at this one is the best at size, handling and comfort.

The price is a bit steep for me since we never buy new. I am nervous about not having a spare for that kinda price. Thanks to this forum I knew what to look for and what to double check. The gadgets on the steering are a piece of cake. The auto open hatch, well... My dad can get it to open no problem! I still haven't mastered it! Hahahaha

Congratulations! For the auto hatch door to open, when you kick your foot under the bumper, you have to be standing toward the middle of the bumper, not to either side. There is supposedly a sensor under the bumper to detect your foot kicking, and a sensor in the back of the bumper where you would be standing that detects your leg. This is to make sure the hatch only opens under certain conditions and doesn't open when say a dog walks under the rear bumper.

Rachel it sounds like you did well with your negotiating. Here there was no price negotiating and a top of the line SEL is roughly $36,000 after you pay all the taxes etc. You did well!

Most definitely. Good for you! Dealers aren't willing to negotiate around here because the cars are so new with some much hype.

Dealers aren't willing to negotiate around here because the cars are so new with some much hype.

Buy one online and have it shipped.

It's a Ford compact car. There is no reason for hype or mark-up or any lack of negotiation.

Ford is gunning for Prius with C-Max. Prius has sold 200,000 this year so far. You can find a dealer who will deal.

This isn't some rare collectors item or exotic.

I sent a message to all the dealers in our region, and bought from the one who gave us invoice price.

Buy one online and have it shipped.

It's a Ford compact car. There is no reason for hype or mark-up or any lack of negotiation.

Ford is gunning for Prius with C-Max. Prius has sold 200,000 this year so far. You can find a dealer who will deal.

This isn't some rare collectors item or exotic.

I sent a message to all the dealers in our region, and bought from the one who gave us invoice price.

This might sound rather naive but I've never bought a new car before...what do you mean by "invoice price"? Is that MSRP? When negotiating a price online, do you secure your own financing?

Crystal:

Manufatcurers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is the one on the Factory Window Sticker. Invoice is supposedly what the dealers pay for the car. However, most manufacturers give the dealers "holdback" or other discounts that drop the dealers cost below invoice. You can find the MSRP and Invoice price for the car by going to a site like NADA Guides or KBB and pricing out your car with all of the options. Most folks try to get the car at or near invoice. With a hot, new car that is hard to get, some dealers won't budge below MSRP. I think that the difference between MSRP and Invoice on a C-Max is about $1500- $2000. I got mine at about Invoice. Others haven't been so fortunate.

Don't forget additional rebates (incentives) that will drop your price further. These include a $1000 rebate for all C-Maxes and $500 if you are a recent College Graduate. I think there is another rebate for current Ford Ranger owners.

A few more thoughts..... Don't ever buy a car based on the payment! The dealer can work it so that you can have (almost) any monthly payment...... You will just pay for it over more months. It is easy to get "upside down" in a car where you owe far more on it than it is worth (owning a 4 year car on a 6 year loan).

My rule is that I haven't bought a car until I've said "no" to the salesman at least 3 times. Haggle, haggle, haggle... Even if it isn't your nature, your lack of haggling is only hurting your own bankbook.

Whether you buy from a local dealer, or online, you can bring your own financing or they will finance it at the dealer. They, of course, make a percentage from the bank on your loan.

Finally, avoid the Extended Warranties and Service Contracts they will try to sell you. They are uber high markup items for the dealer. You can get a "Genuine Ford" contract online for much less than the dealer will offer.

I hope this isn't overkill, Just a braindump of things that i've learned over many years and many cars.

Good Luck!!

A couple of other things: check out http://truecar.com/ it might show some insights as for a good price.

Also, if you can go with Xplan it makes things a lot easier (no haggling and a good price). My company has it for their employees. You can check out http://www.blueovalf...-an-x-plan-pin/ if your's doesn't, you may get lucky there.

A few more thoughts..... Don't ever buy a car based on the payment! The dealer can work it so that you can have (almost) any monthly payment...... You will just pay for it over more months. It is easy to get "upside down" in a car where you owe far more on it than it is worth (owning a 4 year car on a 6 year loan).

My rule is that I haven't bought a car until I've said "no" to the salesman at least 3 times. Haggle, haggle, haggle... Even if it isn't your nature, your lack of haggling is only hurting your own bankbook.

Thanks Scooter. I will try my best. I'm not a haggler so I've got to really buckle down. I'll try not to get too hung up on the monthly payment though that is my biggest concern. I have a monthly budget I can't exceed.

A couple of other things: check out http://truecar.com/ it might show some insights as for a good price.

Also, if you can go with Xplan it makes things a lot easier (no haggling and a good price). My company has it for their employees. You can check out http://www.blueovalf...-an-x-plan-pin/ if your's doesn't, you may get lucky there.

Thanks zhackwyatt. I will read up on those links.

RacheInLA, sorry to have hijacked your thread. ;)

Laurel, you are too sweet. Thanks for asking. I love that car! Apparently I was mistaken. We have not settled on a price. :( I have also decided I do not want black interior! We are returning tuesday to haggle price. My dad and I are getting each a new car, we are shopping around for the best deal. And so the fun continues. I am sad to return the car but at the same time I am excited to get what I want. Now.....what color?????

2-3 weeks? It's worse than a kid waiting for Santa.

I agree. I want to get what I will be happy with for long term. I would love to see a car in that color. Going off a brochure or the Internet is not helpful. I would really love a GREEN car. Ice storm is as close as it gets, lending to greenish hues in the sun from what I have read.

Laurel, you are too sweet. Thanks for asking. I love that car! Apparently I was mistaken. We have not settled on a price. :( I have also decided I do not want black interior! We are returning tuesday to haggle price. My dad and I are getting each a new car, we are shopping around for the best deal. And so the fun continues. I am sad to return the car but at the same time I am excited to get what I want. Now.....what color?????

Have you thought about something like this:

http://www.costcoauto.com/

I purchased a 2010 Subaru Outback through this program when no dealer would discount and got the best price.