C-Max memorizes travel patterns

Laurel

I am curious, why does this seem so "revolutionary"? It seems like an obvious thing to use GPS for. I would even take it a step further and throw altitude and terrain data into it. For example, I have always thought that cruise control could be made more efficient with GPS and terrain data, if it knows a hill is coming it can adjust speed accordingly ahead of time instead of having to shift down and go high throttle mid-ascent. Or it could know the top of the hill is coming and back off throttle a little rather than burning more fuel to just exceed the speed just over the summit...

It could also learn where the most regenerative braking occurs. For example if there is a long hill with a stop sign at the bottom. The system can learn that EVERY time the car (or any car on the network) goes down that road they always come to a stop at the bottom of the hill. The computer could then be more aggressive with regen towards the bottom of the hill...

I always thought that it was taking car companies too long to think like this...

let's not yawn and call this ho-hum. Certainly it makes sense and we can envision doing the same thing if we were in the same shoes as those designing cars. However, we should give credit where credit is due - execution sometimes trips up manufacturers across all industry. The fact that this idea has been executed in a car that some of us are already driving is worth some accolades.

Ev and ev+? Can you explain these to me?

EV+ takes EV mode to another level by raising the threshold that causes the ICE to kick on. If you are running your left display in Empower you can see the EV threshold raise and the EV+ symbol appear when the mode is active.

512307E4-646F-4514-B65D-F60E7F0DBAD5-4001-000002022DCF9535.jpg

Edited by darrelld

EV+ takes EV mode to another level by raising the threshold that causes the ICE to kick on. If you are running your left display in Empower you can see the EV threshold raise and the EV+ symbol appear when the mode is active.

512307E4-646F-4514-B65D-F60E7F0DBAD5-4001-000002022DCF9535.jpg

How were you able to acheive 57 MPG? Was this for a short duration trip or extended length?

The 57mpg was achieved as the total for my 15 mile trip to work. i can repeat this easily if the temps are not too low or high.

Are you being careful when you drive consciously staying in EV mode, or just driving normally? I would like to see my CMax do better with the MPG than the 41 to 43 I've experienced so far with 600 miles.

Are you being careful when you drive consciously staying in EV mode, or just driving normally? I would like to see my CMax do better with the MPG than the 41 to 43 I've experienced so far with 600 miles.

Usually to do this the traffic has to be light, pulse from a light if you are on an incline with the ICE to about 50mph and then glide in EV mode.

Usually to do this the traffic has to be light, pulse from a light if you are on an incline with the ICE to about 50mph and then glide in EV mode.

I'm a former Prius owner and experienced 50+ MPG driving normally on the highway at 65 to 70 mph. I'm hopeful my CMax will achieve close or better once it passes the 1,000 to 2,000 component break in period. Don't get me wrong though, my wife and I truly love the CMax. It drives better (except for the turning radius), feels more solid, rides better and roomier. A hands down superior ride.

I'm a former Prius owner and experienced 50+ MPG driving normally on the highway at 65 to 70 mph. I'm hopeful my CMax will achieve close or better once it passes the 1,000 to 2,000 component break in period. Don't get me wrong though, my wife and I truly love the CMax. It drives better (except for the turning radius), feels more solid, rides better and roomier. A hands down superior ride.

I think duplicating Prius numbers will require more effort. The Prius has restrictions on the amount on energy it can consume built in (smaller engine, less HP, lower torque). Think of a shower head with a water restriction plate built in, no matter how much you open the valve its impossible for the water (fuel) to flow beyond a certain rate. The C-Max is more like

a water saving shower head with multiple settings and while its still efficient there are settings (throttle input) that can cause effiency to drop.