CARB Warranty on C-Max is 8 years, not 10

stevedebi

I frequent this forum to get tips on the C-Max Hybrid, as well as the Energi forums for C-Max and Fusion. Recently I discovered an interesting fact I thought I would share, since it surprised me.

Several years ago, hybrid cars sold in the CARB states carried a longer hybrid powertrain warranty. In most states it was 8 years or 100K miles, but in CARB states it was 10 years and 150K miles.

I just discovered that under the current rules, the conventional C-Max now has only the 8 year warranty in CARB states. The Energi models still carry the 10 year warranty. This warranty covers the hybrid components and powertrain.

The reason is that only the Energi models are now classified as SULEV / PZEV; the conventional hybrids are now classifed as ULEV II. It turns out the classifications are based on what percentage better emissions the vehicles are than the average car - so it makes sense that over time the standard would be harder to meet.

I thought folks would want to know. It surprised me because my 2008 Escape Hybrid had the 10 year warranty.